Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mardi Gras 2019

Are artists allowed to sing their music unedited at Universal? Like does Pitbull drop F-bombs in his show? I'm guessing no...but I'm curious.

Are artists allowed to sing their music unedited at Universal? Like does Pitbull drop F-bombs in his show? I'm guessing no...but I'm curious.

Probably not, but hearing Living Colour sing "Funky Vibe" at Epcot was fairly surreal.

Gotta say, I'm thouroughly unimpressed. Might go check out Macklemore and Steve Miller, but that's it.

If I'm honest, and I'll point out now this just pertains to my own personal tastes, but this may be the first year where I feel like Disney has the better concerts.

Put it this way, I'd rather see the bottom third of last year's Food and Wine lineup than the entire Mardi Gras lineup.

Nothing worth making a trip for just yet but I'll be on the lookout for the TBAs.

If I'm honest, and I'll point out now this just pertains to my own personal tastes, but this may be the first year where I feel like Disney has the better concerts.

And out of all of them, SeaWorld probably had the best line-up last year. I'm looking forward to their Seven Seas Festival concert announcements.

*opens brandy decanter*
*pours one drag into snifter*
*twirls and smells*

Ah yes, vintage "Mardi Gras lineup this year is bad" takes. I always enjoy this once a year sampling. I'll see you again in 2020 my friend.

*closes decanter*

Just because it's a repeated take doesn't mean it's a bad take. At least give me Huey Lewis or something.

Just because it's not music you guys PERSONALLY like doesn't mean it's a bad line-up for Universal from a marketing perspective. These concerts bring in a lot of non-AP Florida Locals who buy one-day tickets. Having more relevant(ish), popular and artists with large fan bases like Dan + Shay is what works for Universal.

Same thing goes for Disney. The 90's/Early 2000's bands work FOR THEM. Their concert area is rather small anyway so they can't handle large acts, they need acts who are somewhat of "has-beens", but will draw on nostalgia.

I do like me some "Vintage Mardi Gras Line up is Bad". Some of these groups I'd like to see, but I don't think they are anything fantastic. Most of these acts performed back when they were more popular and when the concerts were free.

Hopefully those TBAs turn into something really impressive.

Just because it's not music you guys PERSONALLY like doesn't mean it's a bad line-up for Universal from a marketing perspective. These concerts bring in a lot of non-AP Florida Locals who buy one-day tickets. Having more relevant(ish), popular and artists with large fan bases like Dan + Shay is what works for Universal.

Same thing goes for Disney. The 90's/Early 2000's bands work FOR THEM. Their concert area is rather small anyway so they can't handle large acts, they need acts who are somewhat of "has-beens", but will draw on nostalgia.

Oh, of course. I figured "bad for me" would go without saying. I'm just super disappointed that that's the lineup for my first MG as a local.

Anyone know what they mean by "All food and drinks will be served in tasting sizes." this year? Are they going for the food & wine style sizes?

• Bush (9os) - nine top-10 singles on the Mainstream Rock chart, even more (with plenty of #1s) on the Alt Rock charts
  • Gavin DeGraw (00s) - three legit Billboard hits, plenty more on the Adult Contemporary chart
  • Dan + Shay (10s) - six top-10 country hits
  • Macklemore (10s) - I don't even listen to hip-hop, I know this guy's songs, I know he plays mid-size to large venues (e.g. Forum, PNC Center); two Billboard #1s, other songs charted

Go through the rest, same story, from a variety of decades/genres. Short of arena acts--which UOR isn't paying for and the venue couldn't handle--who do you all think should be added?

I mean, they're weening themselves off the 70s/80s, but that's because that target demo is closing in fast on 55+ and more likely to go to a theme park where they can sit through the show. Those bands are moving onto EPCOT to replace all the 60s acts that are dying off. Circle of life.

Anyone know what they mean by "All food and drinks will be served in tasting sizes." this year? Are they going for the food & wine style sizes?

That would be interesting. They're the only ones not really doing it at all out of those hosting "festivals."

• Bush (9os) - nine top-10 singles on the Mainstream Rock chart, even more (with plenty of #1s) on the Alt Rock charts
  • Gavin DeGraw (00s) - three legit Billboard hits, plenty more on the Adult Contemporary chart
  • Dan + Shay (10s) - six top-10 country hits
  • Macklemore (10s) - I don't even listen to hip-hop, I know this guy's songs, I know he plays mid-size to large venues (e.g. Forum, PNC Center); two Billboard #1s, other songs charted
Go through the rest, same story, from a variety of decades/genres. Short of arena acts--which UOR isn't paying for and the venue couldn't handle--who do you all think should be added?

I mean, they're weening themselves off the 70s/80s, but that's because that target demo is closing in fast on 55+ and more likely to go to a theme park where they can sit through the show. Those bands are moving onto EPCOT to replace all the 60s acts that are dying off. Circle of life.
Tbh, Epcot isn't even putting on many 70s/80s acts anymore outside of Flower/Garden and even then, Flower & Garden has gotten more modern with 90's and 00's acts. Well, i'll give you 80's, but for the most part, the 70's aren't represented.