Mark Woodbury Named Vice Chairman, Universal Parks & Resorts | Inside Universal Forums

Mark Woodbury Named Vice Chairman, Universal Parks & Resorts

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Press Release:

Universal Parks & Resorts has named Mark Woodbury to the newly created role of Vice Chairman. Woodbury will continue to serve as President of Universal Creative and will continue to report to Tom Williams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Universal Parks & Resorts.

“Mark has been a driving force for creativity, innovation, growth and development across the entire Parks group,” Tom Williams said. “As we continue our incredible journey, I am happy that Mark will be by my side, playing a vital role in shaping our future and leading the greatest creative team in the world.”

Woodbury has been with Universal for 28 years, helping to shape and develop the Universal theme park experience across the world. Both he and the Universal Creative team are recognized industry leaders for their role in creating compelling theme park entertainment and entire theme park destinations.

Working with the world’s best film, television and entertainment talent, Woodbury has led a multi-disciplinary team of professional designers, engineers, artists, planners, project managers, financial analysts, architects and more in the creative and development process.

Their award-winning accomplishments include highly acclaimed The Wizarding World of Harry Potter themed attractions and immersive environments across the globe. Their work also includes entire theme parks, such as Universal’s Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios Osaka – and, in the future, Universal Beijing and Universal’s Volcano Bay. Some of the top-rated attraction experiences at Universal theme parks include Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, TRANSFORMERS: The Ride - 3D, Skull Island: Reign of Kong – and more.

Great that Universal has kept it's core team basically intact all of these years, even through the dark ownership groups. Jay Stein's boys are still at it, creating new, innovative & thrilling ways to enhance the theme park experience. Longevity & stability is definitely a big plus. :thumbsup::cheers:

Reactions: Mike S
In most corporations, this would mean new job title with new responsibilities that include everything he was doing before and all for the same pay as before. lol

I think they might have kicked a couple extra dollars his way though.

I'm always a fan of when creatives get to run the company.

Side note - why isn't this done more? Pixar (an animation company) is run by an animator. Google (an engineering company) is run by an engineer. It just makes sense that somebody park-related (UC, to complete the metaphor) should be running parks.

Side note - why isn't this done more? Pixar (an animation company) is run by an animator. Google (an engineering company) is run by an engineer. It just makes sense that somebody park-related (UC, to complete the metaphor) should be running parks.
And then you have Disney parks run by a haberdasher (Chapek). What a contrast.

Cause creative types aren't usually the best business people.

And sometimes, business people aren't the best as-well.

I don't disagree there. The best are the ones that know how to listen to their people and make the best calls based on their input and whats best for the business. The problem with people who are passionate about something is that their passion often will not allow them to look at the situation objectively. They think people would pay more for something they love cause they'd pay more. The reality often isn't that way. Thats not to say that all creatives are bad at business, or that having Woodbury in that role is a bad idea. It's just that way more often than not.

I don't disagree there. The best are the ones that know how to listen to their people and make the best calls based on their input and whats best for the business. The problem with people who are passionate about something is that their passion often will not allow them to look at the situation objectively. They think people would pay more for something they love cause they'd pay more. The reality often isn't that way. Thats not to say that all creatives are bad at business, or that having Woodbury in that role is a bad idea. It's just that way more often than not.

Personally in a way, I trust Woodbury more than I would of Chapek at this point, and that is mainly due to that he has had a major past with UPR in many way's. I'm sure that he knows very clearly what to do as the right things and what not to do in many way's.

I do agree with you on this though. It just depends on how some look at it at various angles, as everyone can have a different outlook on something.

Reactions: fryoj
I would think Woodbury being one of the top couple executives for so long has had hands on experience in just about every facet of the business. Universal has always been run by a very small tight knit cadre of executives that are very involved in all operations. That's the way it was set up by Jay Stein, and the cast of people hasn't changed much over the years. Just a few tweeks in job responsibilities. ...Their management structure is very different from Disneys'.