Marvel Policy Changes | Inside Universal Forums

Marvel Policy Changes

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MrRoamer

V.I.P. Member
May 20, 2013
Local
Not sure if everyone has been following what has been going on with Marvel lately, but apparently there is something strange going on. They are discontinuing the Fantastic Four and are trying to cut out as much X-Men (supposedly killing Wolverine again) as possible. Most people are thinking that these moves are aimed directly at the movie studios that own the rights, but I'm wondering if it could also harm the Island. From what I have read SketchCards are no longer allowed to be sold with any reference to a Fantastic Four character (includes Fantastic 4 and Galactus, Surfer, Dr Doom). 3 of Marvel Islands rides fall into this category: Spiderman, Fear Fall, and Storm Force.

What does everyone else think?

In short, I don't see this bringing any changes to Marvel island (other than whatever Comcast/Universal decide to do on their own). It is a ploy to downplay the characters the don't own the movie rights to, while bringing more attention to the characters they can represent in films.

I don't see it making a huge impact aside from irritating comic enthusiasts. People will still go to movies featuring X-Men, Spider-Man, Silver Surfer, Deadpool etc. no matter how little they are represented in Marvel comics and toys.

Universal can still do what they please with the characters in Orlando and Japan.

I am not sure of the context of the changes you are talking about, but Universal has the rights that they do use under contract. I guess if Marvel quits making certain products then Universal will stop selling them in the shops. Marvel gets a % of the products sold, and there is a minimum $ that must be paid if they do not sell enough. But they can not exactly back them into a corner and say we are not going to sell you anything but you still must pay the minimum. And aside from that Universal would still be able to sell previously approved co-branded products, like shirts for the land or a ride. Disney must uphold their end of the contract in good-faith.

Yeah I'm mainly thinking about the merchandising implications. I know they can't do anything to what is already there or anything.

Yeah I'm mainly thinking about the merchandising implications. I know they can't do anything to what is already there or anything.

There are obligations in the contract concerning merchandising. I just do not know enough about the changes you are talking about to contemplate how they would be affected.

Oh sorry I forgot write that in. From what it sounds like there will be no more Fantastic 4 comics or figures for all 3 franchises. Here's a link of where I first saw some of thhttp://www.dorkly.com/post/69649/8-insane-behind-the-scenes-things-happening-in-marvel-movies

Thanks and wow this seems crazy. I was thinking the deals with Sony and Fox were finite and set to expire sometime relatively soon, where the film rights would revert back to Marvel. But I am not sure on that or when.

It seems to me all they are doing will hurt kids and fans of the franchises, people are still going to see the movies. Not only that they are opting not to profit on these other companies work, madness.

Thanks and wow this seems crazy. I was thinking the deals with Sony and Fox were finite and set to expire sometime relatively soon, where the film rights would revert back to Marvel. But I am not sure on that or when.

It seems to me all they are doing will hurt kids and fans of the franchises, people are still going to see the movies. Not only that they are opting not to profit on these other companies work, madness.

It was explained to me some time ago that the reason that Sony keeps making Spidy movies is so the contract remains open and available to them. The minute they stop making the films for a specified time, the contract will be null. Odd, huh.

Reactions: natespf
It was explained to me some time ago that the reason that Sony keeps making Spidy movies is so the contract remains open and available to them. The minute they stop making the films for a specified time, the contract will be null. Odd, huh.

This is true.

The same deal was in place for Daredevil, but Fox let the rights lapse in 2012 and now Marvel is making their own Netflix tv series based on that property. The last film in the Daredevil franchise was Elektra in 2005 which puts it as a 7 year gap while Sony rushed The Amazing Spider-Man movie which came out 5 years after Spider-Man 3.

Reactions: natespf
And now the death of Wolverine.

Marvel is pretty stupid in this regard because people have a love for all of these characters, so the movies will continue to be made one way or the other.

They want the rights back? Then just buy them back or pay a royalty to use them in the larger scale MCU.

I thought Disney owned Marvel now... so really, it is Disney pulling all of these strings I would think.

Debatable.

Disney has taken a pretty hands off approach with Marvel as they see what Marvel is doing and that it is working. As to whether or not they are asking Marvel to do something like this, no one but an insider can really say. All I know for certain is that I was told Disney does not interfere with Marvel because they have a proven track record and Disney can just sit back and count the money.

I thought Disney owned Marvel now... so really, it is Disney pulling all of these strings I would think.

From the sounds of things it's more Ike Perlmutter, CEO of Marvel. Ike is...intense, to say the least. And the relationship between Fox and Marvel is not a good one and has been full of pettiness for years. Sony/Marvel relationship is a lot better.

Talked to one of my old friends in Marvel (now Disney) Legal...

No changes to the Island, this just effects comics and merchandising. Marvel Studios offered more of a creative advisory role to Fox for a cut of Fox's profits, Fox said no in a way that burned bridges. Sony however is very warm to the idea and has always had a great relationship with Marvel.

Not that odd, it makes sense.

This is true.

The same deal was in place for Daredevil, but Fox let the rights lapse in 2012 and now Marvel is making their own Netflix tv series based on that property. The last film in the Daredevil franchise was Elektra in 2005 which puts it as a 7 year gap while Sony rushed The Amazing Spider-Man movie which came out 5 years after Spider-Man 3.

This may have been what I was thinking of earlier. Thanks to the both of you for clearing it up for me.

Yeah, if they kill off Wolverine, we'll all be sad for however long he stays dead (See: Death of Superman). Interestingly, the reason DC always publishes Wonder Woman is because the rights lapse if they stop