Megatron and Optimus Prime Speak: Universal Studios Hollywood Introduces Robotic Voice Technology En | Inside Universal Forums

Megatron and Optimus Prime Speak: Universal Studios Hollywood Introduces Robotic Voice Technology En

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
Universal wanted me to let you know about some exciting developments that have occurred with the meet-and-greet near Transformers: The Ride 3D. It's really nifty stuff, and I suggest you give it a read.

I've also included two videos below of Megatron, Bumblebee and Optimus Prime in action.

Universal City, CA – Universal Studios Hollywood debuts progressive voice technology empowering humanoid robots—MEGATRON and OPTIMUS PRIME—to interact and speak spontaneously with theme park guests as a dynamic and new extension of its immersive award-winning thrill ride, “Transformers™: The Ride—3D.”

With the introduction of this technology, the towering 12-foot tall MEGATRON and OPTIMUS PRIME TRANSFORMERS characters now have the distinct capabilities of engaging in conversations with guests in both tone and demeanor that are consistent with their characters.

MEGATRON is the evil leader of the menacing DECEPTICONS and he shows little mercy when demonstrating his authority to theme park guests. Fueled by a consuming desire for absolute power, MEGATRON will forsake all others, including his fellow DECEPTICONS to achieve his own selfish goals. OPTIMUS PRIME is the heroic leader of the AUTOBOTS who exudes a genuine kindness and sense of humanity when speaking with guests. Compassionate and patient, OPTIMUS PRIME demonstrates the courage and intelligence necessary to defend the rights of all sentient beings.

“The guest response is incredible,” shared Tim Runco, Senior Vice President, Entertainment at Universal Studios Hollywood. “The TRANSFORMERS characters are huge and impressively lifelike, but when MEGATRON and OPTIMUS PRIME actually speak directly to our guests and ask them their name, their jaws literally drop. I’ve spent a lot of time with these robots and am quite familiar with them, yet despite that, they still give me pause when they start talking to me.”

AUTOBOT BUMBLEBEE, who does not use words to communicate, but rather conveys his emotions via pop radio music transmission, also joins the mix of TRANSFORMERS characters appearing at Universal Studios Hollywood to pose for photos and interact with guests at the newly fabricated TRANSFORMERS display located adjacent to the ride’s entry.

“Transformers: The Ride—3D” is Universal Studios Hollywood’s most ambitious ride ever. This technologically advanced, motion-based, flight simulator thrill ride is designed to completely immerse guests in the 3D-HD action-packed world of the TRANSFORMERS. The storyline of this exciting theme park ride introduces guests to N.E.S.T., a top-secret, military bunker, where they become AUTOBOT recruits engaged in a daunting mission to save Earth and protect the last remaining All-Spark shard from the DECEPTICONS.

Featuring pulse-pounding excitement, the award-winning ride propels guests along 2,000 feet of ride track, where they are surrounded by 14 giant screens, many fully enveloping them at heights of 60 feet. To bring this monumental achievement to life, Universal Studios Hollywood collaborated with director Michael Bay, Industrial Light & Magic and Hasbro, Inc.

As families prepare for summertime fun, Universal Studios Hollywood’s popular “Buy A Day, Get 2013 Free" annual pass offers tremendous value and visits throughout 2013 for the price of a single day’s admission. Guests who purchase the “Buy A Day, Get 2013 Free” pass will be able to come back repeatedly to speak with MEGATRON and OPTIMUS PRIME and experience first-hand Universal Studios Hollywood’s award-winning thrill rides, “Transformers: The Ride—3D” and King Kong 360 3-D” as well as receive savings on tickets purchased for visiting friends and family.

Universal Studios Hollywood, The Entertainment Capital of L.A, includes a full-day, movie-based theme park and Studio Tour; the CityWalk entertainment, shopping and dining complex, the Universal CityWalk Cinemas, the “5 Towers” state-of-the-art outdoor concert venue, and the Gibson Amphitheatre concert and special event arena. World-class rides and attractions include the intense, award-winning ride, “King Kong 360 3-D” on the famed behind-the-scenes Studio Tour, “The Simpsons Ride,” “Revenge of the Mummy —The Ride” indoor roller coaster and “Jurassic Park —The Ride,” as well as the critically-acclaimed mega-attraction, “Transformers™: The Ride—3D.”

Megatron & Bumblebee:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/D83UgDE2ALk?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh haha. Your first paragraph just made it sound like it was something new for us too that Universal just announced. ;)

Also, "debuts progressive voice technology empowering humanoid robots" kinda sounds more complicated than it really is. Universal loves to make use of fancy words. Lol

I was going to audition for this, but sadly USH is just a bit too far for me to commute every day. Still awesome though.

Great for a description to be out their to let people know what they may be getting into when taking pics with Megatron, Prime and Bumblebee. I still havent seen Bumblebee in action.

Great for a description to be out their to let people know what they may be getting into when taking pics with Megatron, Prime and Bumblebee. I still havent seen Bumblebee in action.
Bumblebee is just as popular with guests (as far as I could tell) as Optimus and Megatron. Depending on the guest that walks up to him, a short song clip is cleverly and quickly chosen to eh.. let him communicate to the guest since he can't really use words. :lol: My female friend walked up to him, and a love song began to play. He started playing around with her hair and stepping closer. :lol: