Miami Wilds | Inside Universal Forums

Miami Wilds

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The only problem I see is location. The land is massive and great use of that kind of expansion, but it's pretty far south.

I just dug through the massive 400+MB PDF of the proposal. It involves attractions themed to: Rio, Epic, Ice Age, Alien, Predator, Prometheus, Life of Pi, and Planet of the Apes. Essentially, an animal-themed park using Fox's licenses (wouldn't Avatar have been perfect for this?). In fact, the whole thing sounds like a mix of Animal Kingdom and Universal Singapore. It also mentions a wooden coaster in the Ice Age land... There had been rumors a while back that ZooMiami was interested in purchasing the Dania Beach Hurricane, which has been offline for a year. Makes you wonder.

If this park gets built in Miami, it looks to have plenty in common with the 20th Century Fox park being built by Genting in Malaysia. Interestingly, Genting has already bought into Miami, by purchasing the land the old Miami Herald building sits on in downtown Miami.

I just dug through the massive 400+MB PDF of the proposal. It involves attractions themed to: Rio, Epic, Ice Age, Alien, Predator, Prometheus, Life of Pi, and Planet of the Apes. Essentially, an animal-themed park using Fox's licenses (wouldn't Avatar have been perfect for this?). In fact, the whole thing sounds like a mix of Animal Kingdom and Universal Singapore. It also mentions a wooden coaster in the Ice Age land... There had been rumors a while back that ZooMiami was interested in purchasing the Dania Beach Hurricane, which has been offline for a year. Makes you wonder.

If this park gets built in Miami, it looks to have plenty in common with the 20th Century Fox park being built by Genting in Malaysia. Interestingly, Genting has already bought into Miami, by purchasing the land the old Miami Herald building sits on in downtown Miami.

I thought Zoo Miami passed on the Hurricane, last I heard was going to be donated or the wood sold off. I could be wrong though since its been a while since ive heard a peep about it.

- - - Updated - - -

The only problem I see is location. The land is massive and great use of that kind of expansion, but it's pretty far south.

Its not that bad of a drive from you neck of the woods right? When we lived in Lauderdale it wouldn't take us that long to get there, maybe 45 -60 mins or so on the weekend.

This needs to happen. It will make living in Miami finally worthwhile. lol ANNUAL PASSHOLDER ON DAY 1.

This needs to happen. It will make living in Miami finally worthwhile. lol ANNUAL PASSHOLDER ON DAY 1.

We are excited and we live up in Palm Beach County. Im just really cautious about this, alwasy seems like there is talk of things like this and they always find a way to fall apart and never happen. My fingers are crossed

An update from Sunday's Miami Herald: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/14/3626999/dinosaurs-theme-park-vie-for-land.html

Not much new info here, but one interesting tidbit: 20th Century Fox is willing to foot $800M of the projected $930M budget, which is huge. Miami-Dade County would only be on the hook for $130M, which would be used to move some U.S. Coast Guard infrastructure in the area.

$130M is a small price to pay for such an amazing resort concept, one that would bring tourism in droves. The problem, though, is the local public's aversion to using taxpayer money for stuff like this, after the Marlins Park issues and the Dolphins' failed bid for Sun Life Stadium upgrades.

Living here i couldn't hope for something better. All the local attractions are crazy expensive and kinda suck. I agree with Briman its very far south. But i'll admit ill take it over having nothing. As the user above mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me if this doesn't go through local government here is corrupt and have the tendency of making very bad decisions. They'll fund a Marlins stadium that leaves them on the hook for hundreds of millions of dollars but would shy away from 130 million dollars. I hope this gets approved but i'd also like to bring up that they are deciding between TWO proposals the 21st century fox idea and a very cheap dino museum proposal. obviously i go for the big bang it will really change that down south area. turn it into a Bush gardens Tampa (to me the surrounding area reminds me of this)

Miami Wilds and Dino park rejected by Miami but all hope is not lost just yet.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2014/01/15/can-zoo-theme-park-dinosaur-attraction-wed/

Written by Nina Lincoff on January 15, 2014

Dinosaur and amusement park enthusiasts had a right to be disappointed Tuesday as Miami-Dade’s Finance Committee voted 3-1 to reject two bids to build out Zoo Miami land at 12400 SW 152nd St. into a new attraction.

It took all of 30 seconds for the committee to further delay an eight-plus-year process. In November 2006, voters authorized the county to develop a commercial venture there similar to a water or theme park or a family entertainment center.

The county had designs on something like Orlando’s Universal Studios, which would complement Zoo Miami exhibits and attractions. Of the six proposals, the county selected four for further development. Only two, from Dinosaur Park Miami Corp. and Miami Wilds LLC, however, were invited to negotiate to win the bid.

The two bids came from very different ends of the entertainment field when Dinosaur Park Miami Corp. and Miami Wilds LLC submitted proposals in summer 2013.

The Miami Wilds theme park was proposed by 20th Century Fox to showcase its blockbuster films, complete with an adventure park containing attractions like an Ice Age-themed water park.

Miami Today previously reported that costs to develop Miami Wilds were estimated at $930 million, with the adventure park costing about $425 million alone. The proposed completion deadline was 2020, at which time the attraction was geared to draw more than 2 million visitors a year and create over 2,000 jobs.

Dinosaur Park, a less ambitious proposal, was based on the model of Dinosaur-Park International, a Germany-based company. The outline proposed an open-air exhibit like the Dinosaur Open Air Museum in Munchehagen, Germany. While it’s not quite “Jurassic Park” status, the exhibits would include life-sized dinosaur replicas and activities like a sandbox fossil dig.

The Dinosaur Park project was to cost about $14.6 million and take only two years to complete after an expected 2015 groundbreaking. The proposal estimated 400,000-plus annual visitors.

While opening day might have been delayed with the Finance Committee’s rejection of both bids – only Esteban Bovo Jr. voted no – that doesn’t mean dinosaurs and Ice-Age themed wave pools are off the table. Instead of banking big on a theme park blowout or playing it safe with an open air dino-museum, the county might take the middle ground.

The county had decided to consider both proposals together, but the existing bid process precluded the two corporations from coordinating outside of public meetings, and cone of silence rules prevented committee members from effectively communicating with administrative staff.

Basically, the county wants to consider the proposals together, but the negotiating process entailed too much red tape.

Moving forward, the measure the committee endorsed recommends that the county negotiate with Miami Wilds LLC and Dinosaur Park Miami Corp. alone to develop jointly an acceptable plan for the Zoo Miami Entertainment Area.

If all goes well, perhaps dinosaurs and water parks are in Miami’s future. Just leave any prehistoric DNA alone, as a precaution.

i have literally contacted all the government bodies i know and have told them how STUPID i think this is... they build a stadium for a ball club that's never proven to be worthy (business model & ownership) for what believe is 4 billion dollars when its all paid for and sits half empty during baseball season and completely empty on off season.. you cant approve theme park that can actually bring your city some major money and take advantage of the tourism that already comes.. so disappointed and embarrassed of these elected officials

i have literally contacted all the government bodies i know and have told them how STUPID i think this is... they build a stadium for a ball club that's never proven to be worthy (business model & ownership) for what believe is 4 billion dollars when its all paid for and sits half empty during baseball season and completely empty on off season.. you cant approve theme park that can actually bring your city some major money and take advantage of the tourism that already comes.. so disappointed and embarrassed of these elected officials

Good job and well put :thumbs:

Im really pulling for this to happen, especially being about an hour and half drive from Zoo Miami and these proposed parks. We tend to go down to the zoo about once every other year but that would change for sure if they built these parks.

i went there this past super bowl Sunday, my girlfriend had been dying to go and the only thing i could think of as i strolled through was how amazing it would be in the hands of a company with the talent and know how of the theme park business and really turn that huge property into a true enjoyable experience. The zoo itself in its current condition is bad to say the least the parking the entrance the walkways the monorail the food are all in pretty bad shape. i have some distant relatives in state government and have spoken to them about the issue they agree with my point of view problem is this lies within local county government and they're all a bunch of scumbags who wont accept anything that they doesn't offer money under the table in order to approve.. meanwhile they're blaming the reason for the denial financial issues... you're getting a possible city changing theme park... for what? 150 mil? that's chump change for the amount of money it can bring in.. i could already picture everything in the area full of tourist not to mention Dolphin mall a couple miles north from the turnpike. At the end of the day my visit on Sunday to the Zoo was sub-par the staff was terrible and food was worse it is infested with bee's and wasp and while they have added some new minor attractions it is cheap looking/feeling, anything Dade county controls can be expected to be a POS and that is evident in this current park. Hopefully this gets re-submitted and approved the second time around.

i hope the schlitterbahn water park proposal for ft lauderdale gets approved hopefully broward county is much more intelligent than its neighbor

- sorry if some parts don't make sense im at work typing quick without revising lol

i went there this past super bowl Sunday, my girlfriend had been dying to go and the only thing i could think of as i strolled through was how amazing it would be in the hands of a company with the talent and know how of the theme park business and really turn that huge property into a true enjoyable experience. The zoo itself in its current condition is bad to say the least the parking the entrance the walkways the monorail the food are all in pretty bad shape. i have some distant relatives in state government and have spoken to them about the issue they agree with my point of view problem is this lies within local county government and they're all a bunch of scumbags who wont accept anything that they doesn't offer money under the table in order to approve.. meanwhile they're blaming the reason for the denial financial issues... you're getting a possible city changing theme park... for what? 150 mil? that's chump change for the amount of money it can bring in.. i could already picture everything in the area full of tourist not to mention Dolphin mall a couple miles north from the turnpike. At the end of the day my visit on Sunday to the Zoo was sub-par the staff was terrible and food was worse it is infested with bee's and wasp and while they have added some new minor attractions it is cheap looking/feeling, anything Dade county controls can be expected to be a POS and that is evident in this current park. Hopefully this gets re-submitted and approved the second time around.

i hope the schlitterbahn water park proposal for ft lauderdale gets approved hopefully broward county is much more intelligent than its neighbor

- sorry if some parts don't make sense im at work typing quick without revising lol

I didn't think the zoo was that bad in shape on our last visit but I also go into it not expecting the level of a theme park like I would get at Disney and Universal. Part of it might be nostalgic reasons since I have been visiting the school since I was a kid in the 80s. Parts are pretty date but things like the Amazon section they added I thought was fairly well done. And for the $15.95 (minus the BOGO coupons we find) it cost to get it I feel like it is well worth the money and really can spend the whole day there, plus the kids love the animals so that is what makes me happier. We don't really eat much there besides a snack or hot dog and then usually grab dinner out side the zoo.

Really hoping Schlitterbahn happens. Been following that one since I first heard about it.

Reactions: Macfr3ak

Heres the thing, though...

If youre from Montana and decide to take a major vacation to the besg theme parks in the world, are you going to book your plane tickets and hotel rooms to Orlando...or Miami? Miami is a great nightlife/beach destination, but when the theme park capital of the world is 3 hours north, its hard to justify a trip there for a theme park.

Do I think a regional-scale amusement park with roller coasters and flat rides would do well? Yes, because it would only need a local audience to be successful, and could survive off of Miami's current tourists as an add-on to their beach/nightlife vacation. But thats not what the theme park proposed to do here. It was going to have to be a full-scale immersive theme park that could only survive off of tourist visits (a la WDW). I mean, think about how much it costs to build and maintain a roller coaster vs a Spider-Man type attraction. The audience isnt right to justify costs like that.

The even bigger issue, aside from location and demographics, IMO, is the fact that you have a huge market leader in Disney. Universal and SeaWorld have done an admiral job of establishing their brands and yet they still do over 10 million less than MK on their best seasons. To enter into that already extremely competitive market with a brand that has not yet proven itself in the theme park domain is too risky in this climate. If the park developer had more successful locations from past ventures, it would be a little easier to break into this market, but this is a first-time thing. I knew from the start this would fall through.

A stadium, on the other hand, is something the state is not oversaturated with, nor is it part of a naturally competitive market. Not saying its a good call, but this is how Miami undoubtedly saw it.