Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

I am really looking forward to this attraction and it looks like it will be groundbreaking in a sense that it’s the first to use projection mapping. I’m just glad we finally get the trackless ride tech from PHH and MM.

So when this and Star Wars opens 4 out of the 8 attractions will be screen based. That's more screen attractions than IOA with less rides over all. Where is the screenz outrage?

The article did mention that there are still some things being left quiet.

Yeah this is what I'm referring to. Per WDWNT:

"Do keep in mind that all of this will be combined with cutting-edge trackless ride technology, an original musical score and theme song, over 10 audio animatronics, and the first-ever “2.5D” effects (think of it as 3-D without the use of special glasses), so text probably does not do every scene justice. Also keep in mind that many of the events that will take place in each scene are still a secret, so Runaway Railway has plenty of tricks up its sleeves."

So when this and Star Wars opens 4 out of the 8 attractions will be screen based. That's more screen attractions than IOA with less rides over all. Where is the screenz outrage?

To be fair, it say's in the article that this will have ten animatronics, and that while it is using screens heavily as a huge part of the attraction, it isn't like they are forcing people to wear glasses.

You guys havent seen the video clip of the show testing of the projection scenes, right?

The important take away is that the scenes are designed essentially white - projection screen blanks but in the shapes of objects - and using armatures and creative set pieces that can morph they change between locations and vistas as needed. Think of the cartoon gag of going day to night, and back - real easy with projections - but then take it further and you can go from the park to the city by changing a few shapes as the visual wipe of the projectors crosses the room.

It's going to be impressive in person.

Extensive digging in the forums and I found the screengrab I did from the live broadcast of D23:

mickey.jpg

The screengrab is in the middle of the transition from a woodland/park scene to the cityscape. The trees on the left are in the process of becoming buildings like the sets on the right.

It's all projections - but the "tree" triangles in the foreground swirl around and have armatures inside to make them become the squares for the buildings.

Edit: An to clarify, that whole scene was Mickey at like a ranger stand or something surrounded by trees and a sunny sky in the background. You can see the citysape building itself into existence in the far left corner of the room. The ceiling shape is architectural, the rest of the blocky look is the night scene replacing the day scene. See the white "ghosts" of the squares in the roof? That's the animated panels flipping over to mask the other scenery changing shape and match them visually.

Last edited: