Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

It matters if you like new things. Disney stopped building for a bit because they didn’t see the return on investment due to costs.
But that’s not something I can control. So why should I get worked up over it if I have no way to change their spending habits?

But that’s not something I can control. So why should I get worked up over it if I have no way to change their spending habits?

Worked up? No, you shouldn't get worked up.

However, I think it's extremely fair to be critical of Disney overspending to deliver a level of quality that has been demonstrated can be achieved for less. If Disney's "wasting" (just to use a word) money on bloated overhead and other considerations, that's not a great way to run a business.

I'm not saying that has to bother you, or anyone else, but just personally, I have a real philosophical problem with inefficiency and waste.

However, I think it's extremely fair to be critical of Disney overspending to deliver a level of quality that has been demonstrated can be achieved for less. If Disney's "wasting" (just to use a word) money on bloated overhead and other considerations, that's not a great way to run a business.

I'm not saying that has to bother you, or anyone else, but just personally, I have a real philosophical problem with inefficiency and waste.
I just have trouble caring - whether it’s Disney or Universal - about how much something is being budgeted for, as again, I can’t change it.

Sure, calling out WDI’s overspending is something, but I feel like people have been doing this for about 10 years now in relation to WDIs budgets and they are only getting bigger. Disney clearly couldn’t care less about what we say regarding the budgets.

They were mentioning on Touring Plans that Travel Agencies have said that 20% of travelers previously booked for WDW in Sept. have changed their travel dates, to either earlier in the year to avoid the first month opening of GESWL mass crowds, or later in the year to also avoid that first month opening. Interesting.

I would imagine most of the booking changes are frequent Disney travelers who are intentionally looking to avoid crowds given booking right after the summer season. Others saving for a once in a lifetime kind of trip are probably also going to delay till the land is fully open with both rides.

They were mentioning on Touring Plans that Travel Agencies have said that 20% of travelers previously booked for WDW in Sept. have changed their travel dates, to either earlier in the year to avoid the first month opening of GESWL mass crowds, or later in the year to also avoid that first month opening. Interesting.
Not surprised since many people will want to avoid the crowds.

Not surprised since many people will want to avoid the crowds.
Yes, it appears those are the stalwarts that normally like September vacations due to more manageable crowds at WDW. GESWL opening end of August probably destroys that tranquility.

Yes, it appears those are the stalwarts that normally like September vacations due to more manageable crowds at WDW. GESWL opening end of August probably destroys that tranquility.
Seasonal pricing has also caused chaos to the crowd calendar and no one really knows how to adjust yet. My friends have noted multiple times insane crowds during "slow" times in the last year and the seasonal pricing gap has gotten much worse.

Seasonal pricing has also caused chaos to the crowd calendar and no one really knows how to adjust yet. My friends have noted multiple times insane crowds during "slow" times in the last year and the seasonal pricing gap has gotten much worse.
That, plus it appears WDW has been cutting staff during the 'slow' calendar times. And now, according to TP, it appears they've also been inflating stand by times. Bottom line, stand by crowd listing times are pretty much the same all year round.

It matters if you like new things. Disney stopped building for a bit because they didn’t see the return on investment due to costs.

Not to veer this thing too off topic- but why do you think they “overspend”?

It’s not like the federal government with their beurocratic nightmare of an ordering and purchasing system. Anyone who has ever dealt with government contracts knows the painstakingly frustrating mess that it is. After dealing with a Disney contract, Disney is nowhere near that level.

So why is it? Could it be that they are buying better quality supplies or going with more tenured contractors? Not saying that’s necessarily a good thing or not, just trying to find out where this “missing money” is going, if it in fact is being “wasted” as many seem to claim.

That, plus it appears WDW has been cutting staff during the 'slow' calendar times. And now, according to TP, it appears they've also been inflating stand by times. Bottom line, stand by crowd listing times are pretty much the same all year round.
Yea I am considering using 1 or 2 of my saved non expire days during peak times this year where prices are so high and everyone is blacked out. I heard people say avoid Disneyland on the weekends at all costs but given the multi day ticket deals that can be used anytime and the heavy local blackouts/seasonal/single day pricing it may actually be better to visit on the weekend for my trip as a non local. Also Disneyland doesn't run the major shows every day all year. For some east coast families given the pricing structure Disneyland is becoming cheaper and easier these days.

Not to veer this thing too off topic- but why do you think they “overspend”?

It’s not like the federal government with their beurocratic nightmare of an ordering and purchasing system. Anyone who has ever dealt with government contracts knows the painstakingly frustrating mess that it is. After dealing with a Disney contract, Disney is nowhere near that level.

So why is it? Could it be that they are buying better quality supplies or going with more tenured contractors? Not saying that’s necessarily a good thing or not, just trying to find out where this “missing money” is going, if it in fact is being “wasted” as many seem to claim.

I wish I knew! But when you look at what Universal spends to deliver a quality product like Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley, and then what Disney spends on things like Toy Story Land or the Guardians project, it's clear one company's budgets tend to be curiously bloated.

I wish I knew! But when you look at what Universal spends to deliver a quality product like Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley, and then what Disney spends on things like Toy Story Land or the Guardians project, it's clear one company's budgets tend to be curiously bloated.
WDI is bloated in general, which is what then leads to bloated budgets. This said, I still don't care about theme park budgets as the money isn't mine.