Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

Old topic but I took the survey a couple weeks back and I so clicked on every time "HTTYD" stage show showed up haha

Also laser tag. Love to see what Universal could do with that.

A Drafthouse would never fly at a family destination. Universal would get so much flack from rude people.
What do you mean by this? The AMC at Disney Springs is essentially the same thing. Alamo does a far better job with it though. I would love to have an Alamo anywhere in the Central FL area!

It'd be nice if they converted some to luxury theaters. Universal Studios Hollywood recently did, still under AMC.

That to me, is what I have to imagine would be the way they'd go; as they did upgrade the theater to be very much modern and keeping up with technology at it's finest in many way's.

InsideUniversal, Theme Park Insider, and Inside The Magic posted fantastic articles about the converted cinema as I highly recommend that everyone checks them out.

What do you mean by this? The AMC at Disney Springs is essentially the same thing. Alamo does a far better job with it though. I would love to have an Alamo anywhere in the Central FL area!
The Alamo Drafthouse has a strict no talking/texting policy. If someone is doing either of those things, they'll be immediately thrown out of the theater with no refund.

The Alamo Drafthouse has a strict no talking/texting policy. If someone is doing either of those things, they'll be immediately thrown out of the theater with no refund.
Ah, ok. Does AMC not do this? Or I suppose they're just not as strict. They certainly should in any case.

Ah, ok. Does AMC not do this? Or I suppose they're just not as strict. They certainly should in any case.

Every theater "does that", but in my experience the Alamo is the only chain to actually enforce their rules. Every theater will tell people to not text or talk during the movie, but they do nothing if someone does. Alamo will kick you out. They also have an age policy where no one under 6 is even allowed in, even with an adult. So it's good for adults looking for an awesome movie going experience (I only see movies at the Alamo now that we have 2 where I live) but I guess it is true when people say it wouldn't work in a "family destination". CityWalk does tend to lean more on the adult side, so maybe it would work, but something like Disney Springs would be out of the question.

Every theater "does that", but in my experience the Alamo is the only chain to actually enforce their rules. Every theater will tell people to not text or talk during the movie, but they do nothing if someone does. Alamo will kick you out. They also have an age policy where no one under 6 is even allowed in, even with an adult. So it's good for adults looking for an awesome movie going experience (I only see movies at the Alamo now that we have 2 where I live) but I guess it is true when people say it wouldn't work in a "family destination". CityWalk does tend to lean more on the adult side, so maybe it would work, but something like Disney Springs would be out of the question.
That's really great that they do that! It's been a while since I've been to an Alamo. I've been to the original back when it was the only one and then about a year before I moved to Florida they opened one about 5 minutes from where I lived. I don't ever remember any rules being strictly enforced, but the theater typically drew a more respectful crowd I guess just because of what it was.

Ironically I just realized the last movie I saw at an Alamo was "The Alamo".:)

I'd imagine the theater will get a refurb soon to help compete with Disney Springs.

Personally, I think it's a giant waste of land. You could put a lot in place of that theater. Do that many people see a movie during their vacation? Do that many locals use that as their go-to theater?

Well a name brand theatre would be great...I think for a theatre on property for one of the oldest and Big 6 film studios, they can make it a lot...more unique upscale, make it the theatre to go to.

Alamo is great because of the drinks/services, the occasion dive in theatres that pop up but it ain't all that. Back in the day before all the megaplex's movie theatres were huge with the organ player before the show beautifully decorated. Elegant. Fresh. When you went you would be like dang daniel I'm at the picture show. I would propose retheme the AMC to a mixed screen theatre which different screens in different from drive in (Drive in movie style where you sit under the night sky in non movable cars, The adult theatre Upscale dining and food, family room theatre where you chill out on huge sofas, the park theatre where its like a community park, regular movie theatre screen such as imax etc, and lastly the old school gold class theatres). It actually works extremely well outside the states and you can charge certain screens at a premium value and people will pay.

Well a name brand theatre would be great...I think for a theatre on property for one of the oldest and Big 6 film studios, they can make it a lot...more unique upscale, make it the theatre to go to.

Alamo is great because of the drinks/services, the occasion dive in theatres that pop up but it ain't all that. Back in the day before all the megaplex's movie theatres were huge with the organ player before the show beautifully decorated. Elegant. Fresh. When you went you would be like dang daniel I'm at the picture show. I would propose retheme the AMC to a mixed screen theatre which different screens in different from drive in (Drive in movie style where you sit under the night sky in non movable cars, The adult theatre Upscale dining and food, family room theatre where you chill out on huge sofas, the park theatre where its like a community park, regular movie theatre screen such as imax etc, and lastly the old school gold class theatres). It actually works extremely well outside the states and you can charge certain screens at a premium value and people will pay.
Yes, I remember the huge opera house style theaters in downtown Pittsburgh. Up until apx. 1968 nearly everyone wore a suit to the movies in the opulent theaters and most of them were roadshows where the same big budget movie would have a five or six month exclusive run at the theater. Times sure have changed, and really not for the better. The screens in those theaters were gigantic and really made you feel like you were in the movies. Two of those theaters are still in existence as Heinz Hall & the Benedum, home to the Pgh. Symphony, Broadway musicals, and the Pgh Ballet. It was a real event to attend those. And even many of the theaters in the larger mill towns outside of Pgh. were large and opulent also. But the dress code for those wasn't as strict and they didn't have the long roadshow exclusive movie runs like the downtown Pgh. theaters did. But they had the thick carpeting, plush sofas and huge screens like the downtown Pgh. theaters. One theater, the Memorial in McKeesport, was so large, that when they converted it to a maxi theater in the 70's, they made six theaters out of one. That gives you an idea of how huge the screens were in the old gold class theaters.

Yes, I remember the huge opera house style theaters in downtown Pittsburgh. Up until apx. 1968 nearly everyone wore a suit to the movies in the opulent theaters and most of them were roadshows where the same big budget movie would have a five or six month exclusive run at the theater. Times sure have changed, and really not for the better. The screens in those theaters were gigantic and really made you feel like you were in the movies. Two of those theaters are still in existence as Heinz Hall & the Benedum, home to the Pgh. Symphony, Broadway musicals, and the Pgh Ballet. It was a real event to attend those. And even many of the theaters in the larger mill towns outside of Pgh. were large and opulent also. But the dress code for those wasn't as strict and they didn't have the long roadshow exclusive movie runs like the downtown Pgh. theaters did. But they had the thick carpeting, plush sofas and huge screens like the downtown Pgh. theaters. One theater, the Memorial in McKeesport, was so large, that when they converted it to a maxi theater in the 70's, they made six theaters out of one. That gives you an idea of how huge the screens were in the old gold class theaters.

Yea, I' wasn't around to appreciate and enjoy that time back thingbut I remember a theatre downtown where I grew up was around since 1930s and could fit around 300 poeple in with ornate ceilings, Chandliers hanging down. Bright red curtains that opened to reveal the huge screen after the organist stopped playing. It made me appreciate going to the movies and kinda realized how much we are getting screwed over by huge uninspired megaplex style theatres.

Yea, I' wasn't around to appreciate and enjoy that time back thingbut I remember a theatre downtown where I grew up was around since 1930s and could fit around 300 poeple in with ornate ceilings, Chandliers hanging down. Bright red curtains that opened to reveal the huge screen after the organist stopped playing. It made me appreciate going to the movies and kinda realized how much we are getting screwed over by huge uninspired megaplex style theatres.
Those were the days my friend. The Pgh. downtown theaters were especially huge. They sat 1500 to 2500 people, as they still do in their new forms. So you can imagine the size! The last movie I attended that I wore a suit was the original Planet of the Apes. The theater was completely filled and every guy had a suit on. Like some of the more popular movies now, everything was advance reservation tickets in those huge theaters. It would have been tough to be an usher though, since it was the same movie for months when they had the exclusive road show rights. .... I went to the movies quite often before the theaters downsized. I haven't really gone much since then. It's just not the same.

Personally, I think it's a giant waste of land. You could put a lot in place of that theater. Do that many people see a movie during their vacation? Do that many locals use that as their go-to theater?

I don't think I'd get rid of it completely, but an 8 or 12 screen theatre would make more sense than a 20 screen theatre.

I'd imagine the theater will get a refurb soon to help compete with Disney Springs.

It's definitely not a go-to for locals primarily because of parking. There's also no draw that sets it out from other theaters in the area.