Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

I know they recently did upgrades, but with the rise of streaming services and the box office for film going down each year, or at least not showing any sustained growth, is it possible in the next, say, 7-8 years this gets replaced? Its a massive space that could turn into an abundance of things. Not sure how much $ they make off of it currently, anyways. This is likely not something for the near future but still. Eventually people on vacations will just go to their rooms to watch a movie or heck just go on their own laptop/ipad. Just a thought. Not sure if this is the correct thread for this either but I figured id put it out there as I don't see it discussed too often.

I know they recently did upgrades, but with the rise of streaming services and the box office for film going down each year, or at least not showing any sustained growth, is it possible in the next, say, 7-8 years this gets replaced? Its a massive space that could turn into an abundance of things. Not sure how much $ they make off of it currently, anyways. This is likely not something for the near future but still. Eventually people on vacations will just go to their rooms to watch a movie or heck just go on their own laptop/ipad. Just a thought. Not sure if this is the correct thread for this either but I figured id put it out there as I don't see it discussed too often.
I would say highly unlikely.

I think as a family experience, people will be more inclined to go to the Cinema at CityWalk than they might be at home. I think the small town cinemas will die long before CityWalk Cinema does.

I think the dinner and movie deal is still not a too bad deal at 28 bucks.

I think as a family experience, people will be more inclined to go to the Cinema at CityWalk than they might be at home. I think the small town cinemas will die long before CityWalk Cinema does.

I think the dinner and movie deal is still not a too bad deal at 28 bucks.
Well I'm not speaking for everybody, but there are so many other things id spend $30 on at Citywalk/Universal. Demand is likely still there though so I understand. I mean hey, I'm a big movie goer myself so I don't want the theatre experience to die but thought it may be worth discussion.

Well I'm not speaking for everybody, but there are so many other things id spend $30 on at Citywalk/Universal. Demand is likely still there though so I understand. I mean hey, I'm a big movie goer myself so I don't want the theatre experience to die but thought it may be worth discussion.

Sure, they could come a time a better use of the space could be utilised but movies being the main theme for USF, I don’t think it’s a good sign that Universal would kill the cinema. It doesn’t send a good message.

Sure, they could come a time a better use of the space could be utilised but movies being the main theme for USF, I don’t think it’s a good sign that Universal would kill the cinema. It doesn’t send a good message.
Don't disagree, was more talking closer to a decade from now. I mean think how much tv/film has changed in the last 10 years?

The idea is fine but the reality is that some people will never eat in a place they don’t know.
That's the unfortunate part. A family member of mine went to Uni last year for the first time in awhile. I gave them several recommendations - NBC, Cowfish, Vivo, etc. They went to Hard Rock and Bubba Gump's.

People are still going to plays a hundred years after it was outdated.
Very true, but its not like with film there are many other avenues to find it. With film, Netflix and Amazon can reach wider audiences who would never go to the movie theatre. The stage can't really offer anything like that so yes its "outdated" but its also an industry that doesn't evolve much out of its normal practices, if that makes sense? 10 years ago we weren't getting Oscar dramas on Netflix. We are now.

Very true, but its not like with film there are many other avenues to find it. With film, Netflix and Amazon can reach wider audiences who would never go to the movie theatre. The stage can't really offer anything like that so yes its "outdated" but its also an industry that doesn't evolve much out of its normal practices, if that makes sense? 10 years ago we weren't getting Oscar dramas on Netflix. We are now.
I don't think the communal nature of film is going by to change enough for what you're thinking of.

Netflix and Amazon still aren’t getting first releases of tent-pole, big-studio films. The Avengers isn’t debuting on Disney+. In other words, cinemas will have a place in society for several more decades.

That goes even more so for theme parks and “night life districts” where it serves as a full date/family night out.