Most Underrated/Overrated | Inside Universal Forums

Most Underrated/Overrated

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sep 20, 2009
Isla Nublar
So I got to thinking what are the most underrated and overrated attractions in the parks? What do you think? Explanations are helpful! This doesn't necessarily mean best and worst. What do people appreciate too little and too much?

Here's your template:

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated:
Most Overrated:

Epcot
Most Underrated:
Most Overrated:

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Most Underrated:
Most Overrated:

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated:
Most Overrated:

Universal Studios Florida
Most Underrated:
Most Overrated:

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated:
Most Overrated:

SeaWorld Orlando
Most Underrated:
Most Overrated:

Busch Gardens Tampa
Most Underrated:
Most Overrated:

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Jungle Cruise. Yes, yes, I know, I worked there and am biased. But still, JC never seems to get the respect the other classics (POTC, HM) do, and is in my opinion just as good as any Disney ride out there.
Most Overrated: Space Mountain. Uncomfortable, rough, and generally a very out of date attraction.

Epcot
Most Underrated: Tie between American Adventure and Living with the Land. Both are great representations of each of their respective parts of EPCOT.
Most Overrated: Tough one here. Test Track is getting fixed or I would say that. So I'll go with Maelstrom, I guess.

Most Underrated: The Great Movie Ride. Great sets, great music, great premise. Everything about the attraction is great.
Most Overrated: This is a tough one. There's two big ones that I'd go with here, and their Star Tours 2 and RNRC. But I'd give it to RNRC by a hair.

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: Pangini Forest Trail/Maharaja Jungle Trek. Both of these are the crown jewels of DAK.
Most Overrated: Expedition Everest. It's not a great ride. it's a good ride with a great queue.

Most Underrated: Disaster. I don't know why, but this gets a bad rap form a lot of people. I think it's great.
Most Overrated: I dunno, honestly. Is there one in this park? Most of the stuff that's there is great. I guess if I had to pick an attraction it'd be ET. Even though I love it, it isn't the untouchable classic many seem to believe.

Islands of Adventure

Most Underrated: Camp Jurassic or Cat in the Hat. CJ is probably my favorite of the "Tom Sawyer Island" type attractions and Cat in the Hat is a great FL-level dark ride.
Most Overrated: Dudley Do Rights

Reactions: Brer Oswald
Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Tomorrowland Transit Authority (Love riding it no matter how tired I am. It's people watching, it's riding through Space Mountain, it's the Progress City model. All around fantastic and beautiful at night. People only seem to ride it when queues are long or feet are hurting.)
Most Overrated: Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (Bad queue, boring targets, cheesy, but people love it.)

Epcot
Most Underrated: Maelstrom (Charmingly ridiculous. This is the only attraction in the park that I don't think gets the recognition it deserves. It doesn't deserve a lot, but certainly doesn't get a lot either.)
Most Overrated: Soarin' (Way too overrated. It's a decent ride, and good for all ages. But the queue is terrible and the film looks bad, and it's of California no less. Florida is pretty photogenic too. Has nothing to do with the Future and barely anything to do with The Land. People make it out to be more than it is. It's more-or-less a suspended version of BTTF/Simpsons.)

Most Underrated: The Great Movie Ride (Still a great look at movies and the heart of the Studios. It should be on everyone's to-do list.
Most Overrated: Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (Out of the catalog coaster, miserable outdoor queue, and the coaster is weak after the second inversion. Pre-show is showing its age. I will say that I love the loading area with all of its Easter eggs.

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: Discovery Island Trails (These are great. Fun, quiet, and no one hardly knows about them.)
Most Overrated: Kilimanjaro Safaris (Yikes. Don't get me wrong, the ride is fine, but it's not on my to-do list. It's too long. Maybe it will be better when it has zebras though :lol:)

Most Underrated: Universal's Horror Make-Up Show (Possibly my favorite show in any theme park. That's saying something. Great job, Universal.)
Most Overrated: T2-3D (It's not bad, but it's showing its age and not a must-do, but people love it.)

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Poseidon's Fury (You can see how this used to be awesome. I refuse to give up on it.)
Most Overrated: Ollivander's (It's on almost everyone's to-do list and in the end, for me, it's a waste of time. It's clearly geared towards kids that will actually be selected.)

SeaWorld Orlando
Most Underrated: Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island (Best animal show ever. Much more entertaining than Shamu.)
Most Overrated: Journey to Atlantis (The ride itself is fun, but the dark ride elements have been deteriorating since it opened. Has the maintenance crew given up?)

Busch Gardens Tampa
Most Underrated: Kumba (Great coaster. Trivia: It was the first B&M sit-down coaster. Love the loop around the lift, and there's never a line!
Most Overrated: Congo River Rapids (Pretty boring rapids, but it's pretty popular.)

Last edited:
Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Jungle Cruise
Most Overrated: Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin

Epcot
Most Underrated: Space Ship Earth (it's actually a fantastic look back at communication in our lives..very well done attraction)
Most Overrated: Soarin' (Borin' , Snorin' this has all sorts of nicknames...and the projection tech is out of date)

Most Underrated: The Great Movie Ride (Great 'history of film' attraction)
Most Overrated: Fantasmic (This was probably the most boring nighttime show I have ever seen. Just feels old.)

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: Dinosaur (Fantastic dark ride with the big three..technology, real sets, and cohesive easy to understand story)
Most Overrated: Expedition Everest (Going to catch some flack from this but this coaster is nothing more than a glorified Big Thunder Mountain with an awesome queue)

Most Underrated: Horror Make-Up Show (Best show at any park hands down)
Most Overrated: Shrek (How and why this is popular is beyond me..Ever since I got the special DVD with the same 3-D film as in the parks I haven't been able to view it without it feeling cheap)

Islands of Adventure

Most Underrated: Cat in the Hat (Great family dark ride with some classic and fun moments)
Most Overrated: Incredible Hulk (Don't shoot me, but this coaster hurts now and really isn't much of a thrill after the mist tunnel)

SeaWorld Orlando
Most Underrated: Kraken (There is never a line for this and it is a fantastic coaster)
Most Overrated: Journey to Atlantis (Needs work, and some updates..the 60min queue during the summer is not deserved)

Busch Gardens Tampa
Most Underrated: Montu (Never much of a line for this..certainly one of the best coasters around, THE best inverted coaster around thematically and engineering wise)
Most Overrated: TIE Stanley Falls (This always has a line and is an awful ride) & Rhino Rally (This also has a terribly long line and is a horrible attraction, although I do believe the line has died down since the water portion of it was taken away)

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Tom Sawyer
Most Overrated: Space Mountain

Epcot
Most Underrated: Spaceship Earth
Most Overrated: no opinion really... havent been in so long.

Most Underrated: Animation Studios
Most Overrated: Rocking Roller Coaster

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: The live animals
Most Overrated: Everest

Most Underrated: Horror Make Up Show
Most Overrated: The Simpsons

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Sinbad
Most Overrated: The Hulk

SeaWorld Orlando
Most Underrated: Kraken
Most Overrated: Penguin Encounter

Busch Gardens Tampa
Most Underrated: Sand Serpent
Most Overrated: Tidal Wave

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Astro Orbiter. This one gets a lot of heat for being a spinner but compared to all the others this one has much more speed and the best view of them all.
Most Overrated: Enchanted Tiki Room. This one gets a lot of love from fans but it's stuck in the 70's and it is really slow. Still better then under new management though.

Epcot
Most Underrated: Oh Canada. Does a great job of telling the story of Canada without being boring.
Most Overrated: Circle of Life. Another fan favorite but I just feel that it does not do the Lion King licence justice or serve it's purpose as well as Living with the Land does.

Most Underrated: The Magic of Disney Animation. A really good show that gets ignored compared to Muppets and Indy.
Most Overrated: Backlot. It's just there because of tradition. Outside of the Pearl Harbor effect show backlot doesn't have much to offer.

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: Flights of Wonder. It took me a while to actually see this show but once I did I really enjoyed going to see it. One of the best animal shows out there.
Most Overrated: Kali River Rapids. Go up, go down, done. Hope that hour line was worth it. Need I say more.

Most Underrated: Curious George Ball Zone. Just plain fun despite being in an older area of the park.
Most Overrated: Mummy. A good coaster but a poor dark ride due to bad storytelling.

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: JP river adventure. This one is loved by fans yes, but to casual visitors it really is overlooked compared to the Toon Lagoon attractions. This is IOA's best water attraction due to the environment and AA's that make this a gem of an attraction.
Most Overrated: Doom's Fear Fall. That one launch isn't enough to make this ride good. It isn't worth a wait more then 5 minutes.

I'll bite :lol: bored at work:

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Tomorrowland Transit Authority - Nothing gives your feet and your body a rest from the sun better than this ride, not to mention I love the original Epcot display
Most Overrated: Dumbo - Its great for kids, but not for adults, and like someone said, if you want to go on a spinner, go on Astro Orbitor

Epcot
Most Underrated: Imagination - Granted its a shell of its former self, but its still a cute ride for what it is
Most Overrated: Soarin' - Its a great ride, and my wife's favorite, but you barely move and the scents are the highlight, not to mention NO transition from scene to scene, just a straight cut which is laziness.

Most Underrated: The Great Movie Ride - Best ride in the park in my opinion, I love it
Most Overrated: Lights Motor Action - Boring show, period.

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: Its Tough to Be a Bug - Even though its only a 3D film, it has a lot of interaction so its a lot of fun.
Most Overrated: Everest - Disco music is only good at parties

Most Underrated: Men in Black - I feel that this ride gets a lot of flack for being a shooter, but its so much fun to me
Most Overrated: T2-3D - Old film, old score, old TVS, old lines, it needs a digital upgrade.

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Cat in the Hat - Spinning is back and this is a book from my childhood, so I love it
Most Overrated: Jurassic Park - Yes I said....its a lazy river ride, with a single drop at the end with a Trex, great ride for 8 seconds, boring for the other 2 until they update everything.

SeaWorld Orlando
Most Underrated: Eh?
Most Overrated: Journey to Atlantis - Pretty boring water ride.

Busch Gardens Tampa
Haven't been in years so I won't say.

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor- Idk but this ride/show absolutely cracked me up. I loved it
Most Overrated: It's A Small World- Possibly the most monotonous annoying ride ever created

Epcot
Most Underrated: Mission Space- I went on this last time I visited Epcot and have never experienced anything like it. Absolutely incredible
Most Overrated: Soarin'

Didn't do animal kingdom because Ive never been there or MGM because Ive only ridden like 3 rides there

Most Underrated: Disaster!
Most Overrated: The Simpson's Ride

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Dr. Doom's Fearfall
Most Overrated: Ollivander's

SeaWorld Orlando
Most Underrated: Wild arctic
Most Overrated: Journey to Atlantis

Busch Gardens Tampa
Most Underrated: I forget it's name but the chairlift- I love the view it gives you of Cheetah Hunt and of the entire Park honestly
Most Overrated:Kumba

Alright, here goes.

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Hall of Presidents
Most Overrated: I... don't know?

Epcot
Most Underrated: S:E. I know a lot of fans love it, but I seldom see it get the respect I think it deserves outside of specific circles.
Most Overrated: Mission Space. It's fun, but not anything amazing in my book.

Most Underrated: Haven't been in ages, so I'm actually not sure.
Most Overrated: Toy Story Midway Mania.

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: So, uh, would I be shunned if I answered Primeval Whirl here? Far from amazing, but not horrible.
Most Overrated: Kali River Rapids, probably. Though I do love the smell of the burning wood at the top there.

Most Underrated: Can I say Gringotts yet?
Most Overrated: The Simpsons Ride, I guess?

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Ollivander's.
Most Overrated: Popeye and Bluto's. Or Dudley.

SeaWorld Orlando
Most Underrated: Ever since Manta (which is amazing) came around? Kraken.
Most Overrated: Atlantis and Penguin Encounter, though the latter doesn't count anymore, does it?

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor- Idk but this ride/show absolutely cracked me up. I loved it
Most Overrated: It's A Small World- Possibly the most monotonous annoying ride ever created

Epcot
Most Underrated: Mission Space- I went on this last time I visited Epcot and have never experienced anything like it. Absolutely incredible
Most Overrated: Soarin'

Didn't do animal kingdom because Ive never been there or MGM because Ive only ridden like 3 rides there

Most Underrated: Disaster!
Most Overrated: The Simpson's Ride

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Dr. Doom's Fearfall
Most Overrated: Ollivander's

SeaWorld Orlando
Most Underrated: Wild arctic
Most Overrated: Journey to Atlantis

Busch Gardens Tampa
Most Underrated: I forget it's name but the chairlift- I love the view it gives you of Cheetah Hunt and of the entire Park honestly
Most Overrated:Kumba

The Skyride? Love it!