Musings After My Return to HKDL | Inside Universal Forums

Musings After My Return to HKDL

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Okay, so after going back to the UK to finish my degree, I moved back to Hong Kong a year later (and will be staying here for the foreseeable future). Naturally, within a week of landing in the land back-East, I was meandering around the lands of HKDL.

Since I was last here, Mystic Point has opened.

Some thoughts:

- Outside of Mystic Manor, Mystic Point is nothing. It's not really a land, to be honest. There's Mystic Point, and some gardens. The gardens are tiny and essentially feature a few optical illusions. Not worth mentioning.

- MM itself, however, was fantastic. Beautiful animatronics, clever ride vehicles, just beautiful colour the whole way around - most importantly, great fun. Definitely a highlight of the park. Second best ride after Grizzly Gulch's mine cars.

- Space Mountain seems to be extremely low budget versus versions in other parts of the world.

- Finally got to do the Gulch mine cars in the evening, spectacular lighting effects, and the (relatively) cool air feels good on the face (I say relatively... it was still easily above 30c, with humidity over 90%).

- Adventureland is absolutely stunning at night. One of the most beautiful sets I've seen in a theme park. Shame there's not much going on here attraction-wise.

- Lion King show is poor compared to Orlando version, no where near as many stunts. Unfortunately, more time has to be spent providing the show in multiple languages.

- Golden Mickey's. In Cantonese only. Still a great show. Kids absolutely adore the show.

- Autopia. Why does this exist? I could understand it in the older parks, but HKDL is much, much newer. Why build this thing again? Especially when it takes up so much real-estate in the land-sparse park.

- Iron Man Experience construction coming along quickly. The rate of build in this park is crazy, especially when compared to the efforts by TDO. Kinda strange, however, because in Hong Kong in general construction moves at a complete snails-pace. I've seen store refurbs that take up to 10 months. There are some active construction sites that don't seem to have any movement at all since I last saw them over 12 months ago.

- HKDL ticket prices haven't changed much (if at all), standard one day is 450hkd (about $60), we got ours at $405 (about $50). Seniors get in at the ludicrous price of 100hkd ($13). What has blown my mind is the explosion of prices inside the park, and they don't seem to make any sense. Prices inside the park for food and beverages have doubled. Food prices in HK in general in this time have barely moved, and many restaurants/supermarkets see lower prices than they did before. Disney has completely blown this out of the water. Probably to subsidize the low ticket prices. To put things into perspective, bottles of soda (16 oz) are about 26hkd in HKDL... in 7/11 you can get two bottles for 13.50 - we're talking quadruple prices. I don't think I've seen a discrepancy this large in Disney prices before.

- That said, food variety seems to be better in HKDL than Orlando. Orlando, most restaurants seem to just be rethemes of each other. There's many genuine different offers in HKDL, with offerings of different Asian, American, and European cuisines. We had dinner in the Coca Cola restaurant, where they were serving all kinds of Mocktails made with coca-cola products.

- I feel like Disney should have done a bit more research into the way that Chinese queue. Queues in HKDL are designed for the Western style of queueing, where people tend to stand in groups slightly separate from each other. In China, people tend to queue as individuals and will squeeze through any gaps to try and cut through the line. Not only do these wide queues cause unfair situations where the people who push harder move quicker, but it also means that nobody gets a chance to see the showpieces that Disney put in around the queue itself. They need to make the queues thinner, just wide enough for one or two people (and cut back on any kind of corners where possible) in order to get the queues to function in a more fair manner.

- I feel like Disney should have done a bit more research into the way that Chinese queue. Queues in HKDL are designed for the Western style of queueing, where people tend to stand in groups slightly separate from each other. In China, people tend to queue as individuals and will squeeze through any gaps to try and cut through the line. Not only do these wide queues cause unfair situations where the people who push harder move quicker, but it also means that nobody gets a chance to see the showpieces that Disney put in around the queue itself. They need to make the queues thinner, just wide enough for one or two people (and cut back on any kind of corners where possible) in order to get the queues to function in a more fair manner.

Thanks for the report! This part struck me. I can't imagine a line where everyone is merging as they please. Well, I guess it would be like a park full of Brazilian kids at WDW :lol: Regarding the queue design, I wonder if they have similar requirements as ADA here, demanding a specific width. I wouldn't stand a chance in a competitive line.

Thanks for the report! This part struck me. I can't imagine a line where everyone is merging as they please. Well, I guess it would be like a park full of Brazilian kids at WDW :lol: Regarding the queue design, I wonder if they have similar requirements as ADA here, demanding a specific width. I wouldn't stand a chance in a competitive line.

I'm not so sure about regulatory requirements. Typically, Hong Kong has a very hands-off approach to regulation (in fact, in terms of regulation and taxes, Hong Kong is widely regarded as the most economically free nation in the world), but I don't know about this specific case (at any rate, Hong Kong itself would probably be illegal under ADA - the city was essentially built on a mountain range, meaning huge hills and staircases are inevitable everywhere you go in the city, and sidewalks barely thick enough to walk on, let alone use a wheelchair - interestingly enough, in all the time I've been here, I don't think I've seen a single wheelchair).

It is quite possible, however, that Disney decided to comply with ADA standards even in their international parks. After all, they are the sort of company that wants to be seen to be catering to all groups of people.

They need to narrow the queues in Disneyland Paris, the French on the whole don't like queuing either, and all just shuffle past as best they can!

Thanks for the report. That is curious about Aquatopia, since rumor is they're on the chopping block here in the U.S.

I'm glad Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch are such huge hits. It looks like they've transformed the park as it was pretty barren at opening (in usual Disney fashion). Also, I'm surprised they haven't jacked the ticket price up since opening them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. That is curious about Aquatopia, since rumor is they're on the chopping block here in the U.S.

I'm glad Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch are such huge hits. It looks like they've transformed the park as it was pretty barren at opening (in usual Disney fashion). Also, I'm surprised they haven't jacked the ticket price up since opening them.

Prior to these expansions, HKDL actually had a pretty bad rep amongst locals, being "just for kids", and Toy Story did not help with that picture, most locals would prefer to go to Ocean Park over HKDL. There hasn't been a huge increase in prices, probably because in many local's eyes, the expansion has actually made the previous ticket price worth it. Increasing the price again will overprice again.

- - - Updated - - -

Prior to these expansions, HKDL actually had a pretty bad rep amongst locals, being "just for kids", and Toy Story did not help with that picture, most locals would prefer to go to Ocean Park over HKDL. There hasn't been a huge increase in prices, probably because in many local's eyes, the expansion has actually made the previous ticket price worth it. Increasing the price again will overprice again.

They need to narrow the queues in Disneyland Paris, the French on the whole don't like queuing either, and all just shuffle past as best they can!

Was going to say the very same thing, The queuing and rudeness in that park is something else. You should see when the characters come out, no queuing in line awaiting your turn far from it, a rugby scrum is a better way to describe it.

Back to HKDL, never been yet but HK is high on my bucket list so I will hit that park one day. Thanks for the report Samuel always nice to hear how the other parks are fairing.

thanks for the update incredibly interesting how theme parks are so different in terms of etiquette and culture around the world. I'd love to visit one day

Was going to say the very same thing, The queuing and rudeness in that park is something else. You should see when the characters come out, no queuing in line awaiting your turn far from it, a rugby scrum is a better way to describe it.

Back to HKDL, never been yet but HK is high on my bucket list so I will hit that park one day. Thanks for the report Samuel always nice to hear how the other parks are fairing.

It's not even a recent thing in Paris, was like if first time I went 15 years ago too!

My wife and I were talking HKDL a few weeks ago. Deffo on the list along with Tokyo Disneyland. Maybe one for a crazy Eastern park holiday and add in Shanghai to tick off all three Disney parks in one go plus Universal Japan and Singapore lol

^ Did Universal Singapore a couple years ago, lovely park. Not much in the way of originality, though. Most everything there exists in UO.

---

Talking to some guys from work over lunch today, and I discovered something interesting: everybody at the table considering Mystic Manor to be "old". They've seen it once, and will not return to HKDL until it has something new to offer.

This doesn't surprise me much, knowing a bit about how the Hong Kongers live their lives: upgrading their phones every few months, only ever wear "fresh" clothing (ie, nothing more than a couple months old - once shoes get slightly worn, they are gone), etc. Hong Kongers love novelty, once something is "done" to them, they discard it for a new experience.

At least half the people in HKDL were from mainland China, and I think that over time, they will represent an even larger portion of the share. HKDL can't keep up the build-rate forever.

Could Shanghai Disneyland cannibalize some of HKDL's market? Yes, there are over a billion people in China, but it's only the wealthy ones who come down, anyways.... and a very large portion of those wealthy mainlanders reside in Shanghai.

Was there last week with my parents, first time they've been to HKDL, some comments (in relation to Orlando):

- "Queues are so much shorter!" - Public holiday, and the longest queues were for Grizzly Gulch at 40 minutes
- "[Philharmagic] is the best 3D show I've seen" (mother), "Terminator 2 edges it out" (father)
- "Prefer this version of Space Mountain"
- 'The technology in Mystic Manor is some of the best we've seen" (mother prefers it to Haunted Mansion, father doesn't
- "Grizzly Gulch is like Ex. Everest meets Runaway Train"
- "Prices are ridiculously expensive compared to inside the Orlando parks"
- "Could do with a water ride" - Given the culture, I'm not so sure this would work... even on Jungle Cruise, the locals were refusing to sit on the outside of the boat, all sat in the middle
- "Why the hell did they build Autopia again, that's got to be the worst ride [at wdw]"
- "The theming at Toy Story land is great, but the rides are terrible and seem to have long queues" - This is definitely a capacity issue
- "This park is absolutely beautiful at twilight" (it really is, especially adventure land)

Other things I noticed:

- Iron Man coming along nicely, construction is very vertical.
- Huge construction project has sprung up between Adventureland/Fantasyland, but no official announcements yet.
- Castle and about a third of Main Street was under refurb.

Also, in the news:

Discussions between HK Gov't and WDC about opening of a second gate in HK. This was instigated by the HK Gov't. My impression is that the Gov't is becoming concerned with the idea of Disney Shanghai and Universal Beijing sucking away the thick-walleted mainland tourists.