Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more

Big update to My Disney Experience app will bring navigation capability

Working much like Google Maps, you will be able to select an attraction from the map, hit 'Get Directions,' and then choose a 'From' location, which can be your current position from GPS, or another attraction or location.

Not only will the navigation work inside a park to attractions, shops and restaurants, it will also give you directions across the entire Walt Disney World property.

When navigating outside of the parks, the app will make use of the various transportation options, including bus, monorail and watercraft. It will also give an estimate of time required.

While I will never use this, I can see this being very helpful for the first time guest or even a guest who is not here often. Especially those staying on property. Very helpful.

Should be a good update for first timers, although I do have to wonder if this will hurt phone battery life when the app is open even more than it already does.

Speaking to MM+ in general, i'm coming off a Disneyland trip and I can't quite make out whther I miss the old FP system or not. As a local, I like picking a few rides, going to the park and just doing whatever I want, maybe not even riding those rides. It just gives me options without running around. However, I totally see how WDW's system for FP+ could never work out there.

My mom has been hesitant on going to DL for years since we live here. I finally got her since the 60th celebration is still going on. She LOVED Disneyland. We were there for 5 park days/nights and saw Paint the Night every single night. Saw Disneyland Forever 3 times and WoC twice. I'm not sure i'll be able to step into MK again and look at the nighttime entertainment offerings the same. DL Forever and Paint The Night blow everything out of the water.

To tie it back to MM+ though, as much as my mom ended up liking DLR, I thought it was interesting that one of her main "cons" for DL was that they didn't have the new system or magicbands. She really prefers them. Of course, our case is slightly unique since we stayed at the Grand Californian, so we charged to the room a lot (one of the areas MBs come into play) - Most people don't stay on-site in Anaheim though. Running around for FPs was also a "con" for her, but other than that, she loved it.

Should be a good update for first timers, although I do have to wonder if this will hurt phone battery life when the app is open even more than it already does.

Speaking to MM+ in general, i'm coming off a Disneyland trip and I can't quite make out whther I miss the old FP system or not. As a local, I like picking a few rides, going to the park and just doing whatever I want, maybe not even riding those rides. It just gives me options without running around. However, I totally see how WDW's system for FP+ could never work out there.

My mom has been hesitant on going to DL for years since we live here. I finally got her since the 60th celebration is still going on. She LOVED Disneyland. We were there for 5 park days/nights and saw Paint the Night every single night. Saw Disneyland Forever 3 times and WoC twice. I'm not sure i'll be able to step into MK again and look at the nighttime entertainment offerings the same. DL Forever and Paint The Night blow everything out of the water.

To tie it back to MM+ though, as much as my mom ended up liking DLR, I thought it was interesting that one of her main "cons" for DL was that they didn't have the new system or magicbands. She really prefers them. Of course, our case is slightly unique since we stayed at the Grand Californian, so we charged to the room a lot (one of the areas MBs come into play) - Most people don't stay on-site in Anaheim though. Running around for FPs was also a "con" for her, but other than that, she loved it.

I can't wait to go to DL. We are waiting for our youngest to be a little older and can get on Space Mountain and then we will go out there. I feel like DL is a twice in a lifetime trip for us.

For me the con of the old system was always the running around part. It also didn't suit our lifestyle which is not being morning people. So many rides we just ended up skipping (Toy Story is the main one) because by the time we got there fast passes were gone. So the new system allows us to do the park our way and still have a chance to FP rides like TS. I also don't have to run around grabbing fast passes from one part of the park to only go to the opposite end to ride stuff to then come back to that part to ride that one ride. Epcot for me was the worst since you wanted TT or Soarin, but the return times were so much later. So you end up in the countries and have to go back, but sometimes you didn't finish the countries. I can now plan a relaxing day in Epcot instead of crossing that park a bunch of times.

But I also see the side where the new system worked for them better. Most likely morning people. Because they probably didn't have to cross the park a bunch of times with the old system and by getting their early they got the good FPs that would now be harder to get if not staying on site (Mine Train, Frozen, and some M&Gs). Where I am OK giving up those select rides (because if I keep checking many times I can get those FPs) to not have to run all over the place.

I also think the major complaints people had (only being able to get 3 and can't park hop) have been fixed. So I think less people will complain about the new system. But it took them way too long to fix those issues, which is what has left a bad taste in people's mouth.

I can't wait to go to DL. We are waiting for our youngest to be a little older and can get on Space Mountain and then we will go out there. I feel like DL is a twice in a lifetime trip for us.

For me the con of the old system was always the running around part. It also didn't suit our lifestyle which is not being morning people. So many rides we just ended up skipping (Toy Story is the main one) because by the time we got there fast passes were gone. So the new system allows us to do the park our way and still have a chance to FP rides like TS. I also don't have to run around grabbing fast passes from one part of the park to only go to the opposite end to ride stuff to then come back to that part to ride that one ride. Epcot for me was the worst since you wanted TT or Soarin, but the return times were so much later. So you end up in the countries and have to go back, but sometimes you didn't finish the countries. I can now plan a relaxing day in Epcot instead of crossing that park a bunch of times.

But I also see the side where the new system worked for them better. Most likely morning people. Because they probably didn't have to cross the park a bunch of times with the old system and by getting their early they got the good FPs that would now be harder to get if not staying on site (Mine Train, Frozen, and some M&Gs). Where I am OK giving up those select rides (because if I keep checking many times I can get those FPs) to not have to run all over the place.

I also think the major complaints people had (only being able to get 3 and can't park hop) have been fixed. So I think less people will complain about the new system. But it took them way too long to fix those issues, which is what has left a bad taste in people's mouth.
The wait times were all super low during our freakin' July 4th trip. I was amazed. Highest wait I ever saw all week was 85 mins after fireworks for Hyperspace Mountain. The only rides that ever got high waits were RSR, Star Tours, Hyperspace, and Indy. Everything else averaged around 20-30, with many rides being a lot less than that. I was shocked that rides like BTMRR, Pirates and Mansion were all consistently around 10-15 mins.

July 3rd and 4th were actually the LEAST busy days in the park amazingly. I had suspected this was a possibility, but not a likely one in my planning. My reason for thinking it could be low those days was because of AP blackouts. Waits were insanely low for July 4th and there was a very noticeable crowd increase from July 5th onward.

Working much like Google Maps, you will be able to select an attraction from the map, hit 'Get Directions,' and then choose a 'From' location, which can be your current position from GPS, or another attraction or location.

Not only will the navigation work inside a park to attractions, shops and restaurants, it will also give you directions across the entire Walt Disney World property.

When navigating outside of the parks, the app will make use of the various transportation options, including bus, monorail and watercraft. It will also give an estimate of time required.

Hopefully they use real time info on the transportation network. When the monorail is down so often or closed for testing certain days, I hope it directs people not to use it. Otherwise there will be even more pissed off guests.

Hopefully they use real time info on the transportation network. When the monorail is down so often or closed for testing certain days, I hope it directs people not to use it. Otherwise there will be even more pissed off guests.
They've been planning to add bus times, etc since late 2014 (they've done multiple tests). Not sure what the hold up is.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. It really is fascinating to hear a lot of people's first time at Disneyland changes some of their outlook on the home park of MK.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. It really is fascinating to hear a lot of people's first time at Disneyland changes some of their outlook on the home park of MK.
This was technically my second time at DL (I went for a very short few days over New Years 2012/13). but back then they didn't have a nighttime parade or near as good of fireworks. That's mostly why I didn't mention much in the way of rides.

I will say, I rode the new Soarin' for the first time on either coast while there - meh. I do remember the first time I went not being totally in love with their Space Mountain as it's mostly turn after turn (the drops are my favorite part of MKs). However, I absolutely loved Hyperspace Mountain. Really took the ride to a whole different level. I actually missed a lot of rides and didn't eat at any sit-downs on my first trip. I pretty much did everything this time. Loved the updated effects/projections on a few of their Fantasyland rides (Alice, PPF were great and loved Mr. Toad). We had some great meals at Carnation Cafe and Cafe Orleans among a few other places.

I could probably talk about Disneyland all day, but we're getting a bit off-topic now :lol:

Hope this doesn't get hacked. Its kind of jarring to think that someone could open up your door with their phone.

Hope this doesn't get hacked. Its kind of jarring to think that someone could open up your door with their phone.
I can’t name a major hotel chain that doesn’t let you use your phone as a hotel key card.

The security is basically the same. Compare this to a regular hotel lock or to a MagicBand hotel lock. When I insert my hotel keycard into the lock, the lock reads a code off of the keycard. If the code is correct, the door opens.

For MagicBand locks, that code is transmitted via a RFID tag instead of a magnetic stripe. For the mobile phone, it’s transmitted via Bluetooth.

There’s always been a way to hack your hotel lock. The bigger question is asking if the MagicBand / mobile app infrastructure is secure. The hotel lock itself is probably fine.

I can’t name a major hotel chain that doesn’t let you use your phone as a hotel key card.

The security is basically the same. Compare this to a regular hotel lock or to a MagicBand hotel lock. When I insert my hotel keycard into the lock, the lock reads a code off of the keycard. If the code is correct, the door opens.

For MagicBand locks, that code is transmitted via a RFID tag instead of a magnetic stripe. For the mobile phone, it’s transmitted via Bluetooth.

There’s always been a way to hack your hotel lock. The bigger question is asking if the MagicBand / mobile app infrastructure is secure. The hotel lock itself is probably fine.
Yeah, Marriott alone has over 2,500 hotels that are currently doing this. So in a way, this is Disney keeping up with hotel trends.

...however, if this gets expanded to being able to use your phone for park ticket, FP+ redemption (when you go back for your FP) and other things like that, they could start to make MagicBands optional (which I imagine is in the works), which would save Disney a boatload of money on the production of the bands and shipping them to everyone that stays on-site. They could instead turn their attention to MagicBands as a product and continue with special releases and that type of stuff. The amount of profit they would be making overall increases drastically at that point.

If they basically turn Smart Phones/Watches into MagicBands though, the issue there is that with everything that a MagicBand does and keeps track of, you are now doing all on your phone battery. Good luck keeping a charge for long at that point.

I wouldn't want to be in line behind that person who is trying to get their battery phone to work or trying to get it to the right screen or trying to put in their password. I know, I am looking at the negative side to these things for some reason, haha.

Bad enough some people won't take their phone out of their face so they can see & enjoy what's in front of them. This stuff would just make it worse. Why bother paying for a park when you spend all your time playing on your phone. May as well just sit at home and play with your phone. It's cheaper that way.

My question is why? If your magic band gets you in why would you need to pull out your phone. The only thing I can think of is if you forget your magic band you can get back in your room without having to go to the front desk. But that doesn't seem to be worth the expense of creating this feature.

Some people don't want something on their wrist all day. I don't wear a watch because I have a clock on my phone. I'd prefer to use my phone for all of that stuff as long as its set up so its on my phone wallet and i don't have to continuously open an app.

Where the "phone as a magic band" thing derails is water rides and water parks. You aren't going to be able to use it for a FP there, or not for much of anything at a water park.

I’ve never tried using my phone as a hotel key card because the setup seems annoying and my phone battery sucks.

I would personally rather use a MagicBand than my phone. It seems more special, the battery won’t die, and it gets me off my phone because I’m an addict.

A rumor thread on Magic is saying that Disney 'finally' closed the fastpass loophole whereby people were booking, and then cancelling, a WDW hotel to get 60 day access to fastpasses. If true, sounds like Disney is gearing up so that don't have the same fastpass issues with GESWL that they had with FOP. The way the scam worked is that people would book a Disney hotel, initially get fastpass 60 day access, and the access stayed even if they cancelled their hotel room before arrival. Supposedly now, the faspass reservations will disappear as soon as the hotel room is cancelled.

A rumor thread on Magic is saying that Disney 'finally' closed the fastpass loophole whereby people were booking, and then cancelling, a WDW hotel to get 60 day access to fastpasses. If true, sounds like Disney is gearing up so that don't have the same fastpass issues with GESWL that they had with FOP. The way the scam worked is that people would book a Disney hotel, initially get fastpass 60 day access, and the access stayed even if they cancelled their hotel room before arrival. Supposedly now, the faspass reservations will disappear as soon as the hotel room is cancelled.

I thought this was closed a good while ago?

I considered switching hotels on my last trip since I had free cancellation but I would have to do it all through Disney but they were charging more for the room I wanted and it sounded like a real effort.

Glad it’s fixed though.

I wonder how many people will be booking a single night for the FP though.