My Stay at Polynesian | Inside Universal Forums

My Stay at Polynesian

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
As many of you know, I got married.

Our original plans for the honeymoon was a trip to St. Augustine and Savannah, from Monday-Saturday. I'm not a fan of long drives, so after a talk with Mrs. BriMan, we decided to stop halfway and stay a night in Orlando. Obviously being a special occasion, I thought it would be nice to stay at the Polynesian - especially considering that's where I proposed to her on Sunset Point - and decided to splurge.

I can honestly say that I'm truly disappointed in the accommodations. This is a Disney Deluxe Resort, and I spent a lot of money, the last thing I expect to find in the room is danky towels and blood on the sheets. I know the big selling point is the location of the hotel, and that's only beat by the Grand Floridian and Contemporary, but comfort should be just as important as location.

It wasn't all bad, as the rooms were spacious and the resort looks fantastic, but the comfort level of the rooms was a big negative.

The mattress was rather hard and the sheets were pretty thin, even the comforter. After spending the week at several star-comparable resorts, Disney isn't up to par with the bed comfort.

The A/C seemed to be a bit off, almost like the Goldilocks and the 3 bears. Put the temp on 70 and it felt too cold; put it on 71 and it seemed really hot.

My biggest gripes though was the blood on the sheets and the danky towels. The good news is since it was a double-queen bed room, we slept on the other mattress.

Small stains, but stains nonetheless
image_zpsos4kfc5m.jpg

Danky Towels.

image_zpsxvyaruts.jpg

Some sort of dried-up gloop, I think Epoxy?

image_zps5xe1xaul.jpg

image_zpsyxtnbdld.jpg

What was even more troublesome is when I tried to bring this to the attention of the front desk. I brought the towel down and they didn't even look at it. Just a sorry, and tossed it under their desk.

For the amount of money I paid for, and the reaction of the people at the front desk. I'll never stay on Disney property again. My money will go longer elsewhere.

I bet if you named dropped Burgan you would have been taken care of right away : lol:

In all seriousness I would have been upset with this, especially knowing the pretty penny you spent to stay there

I stayed there last year for 5 days and honestly came away disappointed. It was nice being on the monorail line, but the room really wasn't that great and the pool was way too small (I think they are planning on a redo of the pool). For the money though, we will never stay there again.

I stayed there last year for 5 days and honestly came away disappointed. It was nice being on the monorail line, but the room really wasn't that great and the pool was way too small (I think they are planning on a redo of the pool). For the money though, we will never stay there again.

Yeah. If it wasn't for the Disney name, or the price, I would have never bothered with the write-up. I expect better.

Truth be told, if I'm with a group, and they wanna do the value resorts - I'd be inclined to stay on property again. However, I've had fantastic stays at Universal resorts, Rosens, and several other I-Drive spots for a cheaper price so they get my vote.

Yeah. If it wasn't for the Disney name, or the price, I would have never bothered with the write-up. I expect better.

Truth be told, if I'm with a group, and they wanna do the value resorts - I'd be inclined to stay on property again. However, I've had fantastic stays at Universal resorts, Rosens, and several other I-Drive spots for a cheaper price so they get my vote.

I've also had good experiences at Rosens as well as Disney. Rosens are good for what you pay for. I've stayed at POR and Caribbean Beach, both of which are very good post refurbs. Sounds like the Poly needs a refurb?

The big problem with this story, and many stories we see out of WDW resorts, is the old Disney goal of "going above an beyond" is just not there any more. I'd stay at the Moderates if I got a good rate, though at this point I'm sure that's due to nostalgia for Port Orleans more than anything. I won't stay at the values, because frankly the experience sucks.

The problem with either of those tiers, though, is that Universal's got them beat on price and amenities. You can get RPR for nearly the same price as a WDW Moderate (not to mention Sapphire Falls next year), and Cabana you can get a suite for the same price as a normal WDW Value room. Not to mention the Rosens and the like.

They just had one. :lol:
Oh.....
:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

The big problem with this story, and many stories we see out of WDW resorts, is the old Disney goal of "going above an beyond" is just not there any more. I'd stay at the Moderates if I got a good rate, though at this point I'm sure that's due to nostalgia for Port Orleans more than anything. I won't stay at the values, because frankly the experience sucks.

The problem with either of those tiers, though, is that Universal's got them beat on price and amenities. You can get RPR for nearly the same price as a WDW Moderate (not to mention Sapphire Falls next year), and Cabana you can get a suite for the same price as a normal WDW Value room. Not to mention the Rosens and the like.

We got upgraded from All Star Music to CB for free.

And to one of the Royal Rooms at POR for free, they do go above and beyond sometimes!

Talking of Saphire Falls, UK tour operators are listing it for next year. prices currently around £350 cheaper per person than Caribbean Beach for same flight and dates (2 weeks).

Last edited:
We mostly stay in the DVC rooms for all the Disney resorts, but a lot of them have had issues with towels. That said I'm really sorry to hear that your room wasn't up to standards and the front desk didn't really care.

1) The Poly is one of the crown jewel resorts of Disney, under no circumstances should you have blood on the sheets, goober-rific towels, or towels with holes in them.
2) This was your honeymoon, they damn sure had better at least pretended they cared the slightest bit and I would even say upgraded your room/provided you something special/made sure it didn't suck before hand. Afterwards they should have bent over backwards for you.

I really hope word of this gets back to them, and they make it up to you somehow.

Legit just called to voice my displeasure.

Told Guest Services handles it and connect me through. Get Guest Services, they tell me Guest Claims handles it and connect me through. Get Guest Claims, they tell me Guest Services handles it....

I just got an email address since the last person actually seemed to take interest that I was getting displeased...

Told Guest Services handles it and connect me through. Get Guest Services, they tell me Guest Claims handles it and connect me through. Get Guest Claims, they tell me Guest Services handles it....

I just got an email address since the last person actually seemed to take interest that I was getting displeased...

Sounds like dealing with Comcast

I'm hyper opposed to Disney on property. I think most people know my view point, but the money isn't worth it. The one time I did stay on property I was still a CM and felt like a 2nd class citizen the whole time. I vowed to never stay at a Disney resort after that and have since explored many other options. My money goes the furthest at Rosen thanks to a student discount but have found Drury and Hyatt properties to be in my price range with great guest service.

The best guest service for my money has rang true and true for off property. Take your dollars away from Disney lodging.

I guess I just don't get the real appeal of the Poly for guests staying there other than the monorail and Kona Cafe (not even O'hana anymore because the service has gone way downhill). Nothing about those "longhouses" really says Deluxe to me at all. The rooms are nice and spacious, but that's about it.

I guess I just don't get the real appeal of the Poly for guests staying there other than the monorail and Kona Cafe (not even O'hana anymore because the service has gone way downhill). Nothing about those "longhouses" really says Deluxe to me at all. The rooms are nice and spacious, but that's about it.

Well the idea was "If we're gonna try to eat at O'hana and do "Drinks Around The Beam", might as well stay there". Also helped that when we checked prices, it was a better value than the other resorts. All-Star was at $220 for that night, and that's with AP discount.

Well the idea was "If we're gonna try to eat at O'hana and do "Drinks Around The Beam", might as well stay there". Also helped that when we checked prices, it was a better value than the other resorts. All-Star was at $220 for that night, and that's with AP discount.

WHAT! All Star was $220. That is nuts.

All concerns are can be addressed to the wall indicated by the sign <---- Complaint Department ---->

After thinking about it through some more, maybe the refurb was just more detailed than any of us thought and gives you the opportunity to live in a head hunter village with the constant threat of Malaria