Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Wow, that sounds like an epic failure!

Ours was outsourced to India too, initially to a 3rd Party, but then to Centres of Excellence set up by the Bank I was working for.

It is pretty interesting. So the company I worked for I was the only female employee and there was only 1 other American employee. Everyone else was from India or another country, but mostly India. Everyone was a full time employee though. I would talk to them and they said everyone that was good left and got jobs in America because the lifestyle here in the US was better. India is still very much a class system, so if you are not born in the right class America is a much better place for you. But what this did is really leave mostly poorly educated workers back in their home country which is why outsourcing has so many issues. I felt bad for many of them because when outsourcing began most of them lost their jobs to these people they knew didn't have the skills. We go thru a 3rd party company. Now I imagine there may be upper class workers that are highly educated and work for consulting companies. So I imagine that is what you have experienced.

On a side note, wow, being a female working with mostly Indian workers was very difficult and frustrating. It took almost a year before they respected me. I remember one of the managers saying that I should be very proud of my skills because I truly had to earn their respect and I did. I remember one time I told the one guy how to do something and he ignored me, my guy friend (only other American) came up told him the EXACT same thing I did and the guy goes, "Oh wow, that worked, thanks!". It was so frustrating knowing that you were basically ignored because you were a female.

So you can also imagine that now I am a manager of these guys and my manager is a female. It has been a huge cultural shock to many of them and I think that has also probably fed into the poor productivity because they didn't always want to listen to us. The guy I work with now listens and has learned a ton. But I imagine it won't last long as he is getting too good to be paid such low wages. So I imagine I will go thru it again in the next year at some point.

Also, some of them respected me from day one and their wives had jobs. So I sat down and talked to one of my co-workers that respected me and asked why. He said the class system played into it. The higher class you were in the more you respected woman. Since he and the other guy were in a much higher class they have no issues with woman. He came to the US for his wife to get a medical degree and ended up liking it and stayed. So sometimes the higher classes come here to get education and stay and sometimes they go back home after they get their education. He said when they had kids they may move back. It was such a fascinating culture to learn about.

More StoryMaker Updates
Credit: 4 Surprise Changes To Classic Walt Disney World Attractions You Didn’t Notice | Theme Park Tourist

Everest has screens with advertisements at the end of the standby queue. The advertisements come with subtle endorsements by those going thought the line.

Mission Space has records on the wall that now include guest names, hometown, and experience level.

Muppets has had screens installed in the queue and pre show area that will presumably be used for StoryMaker.

Can you imagine the WDI people sitting around patting themselves on the backs for making these?

"Oh Charles, your font choice on those Everest screens was just brilliant!"

"Now now Susan, I couldn't have done it if it wasn't for your deep commitment to storytelling that lead to your approving of a year long trip to Nepal to research the proper san script font options."

"Well, I prefer to be modest, but thinking to just 'google it' once we got back was one of my more brilliant moments.. Simplicity in the design process! And the technology confirming our research and intuition! Oh, that's serendipity!"

"Yes, it's all coming together quite nicely!"

I know most everyone here is not a fan of MM+, mainly because of the price tag. But I just found out that you can do pre-checkin at the hotel. Basically you check in online and then the day of they text you when your room is ready. Since you already have your magic bands since they send them to you in advance, you already have your key. You never have to go to the front desk. I thought that was pretty neat feature.

I will update you guys after using the new app this entire weekend. I will see how smoothly it goes for us and our friends we are meeting up with.

Reactions: Fatality
I know most everyone here is not a fan of MM+, mainly because of the price tag. But I just found out that you can do pre-checkin at the hotel. Basically you check in online and then the day of they text you when your room is ready. Since you already have your magic bands since they send them to you in advance, you already have your key. You never have to go to the front desk. I thought that was pretty neat feature.

I will update you guys after using the new app this entire weekend. I will see how smoothly it goes for us and our friends we are meeting up with.
Yes, they had that when we went in October. The only problem though was we still had to go to the Main Desk to get our parking pass since we had a car.

Yes, they had that when we went in October. The only problem though was we still had to go to the Main Desk to get our parking pass since we had a car.

Gotcha. The people that I was talking with on this Facebook group all fly in. Pretty nice how you can mark your luggage and it gets to the hotel and with the bus system and online checkin it really makes your incoming day really easy.

Every time we go on vacation I feel like we spend the first 2 hours getting checked in and getting our luggage to our room. Then I am worn out and just want to plop on the bed lol. Then again we normally stay at timeshares and with kids and kitchen atuff we have a crap ton of luggage :)

Gotcha. The people that I was talking with on this Facebook group all fly in. Pretty nice how you can mark your luggage and it gets to the hotel and with the bus system and online checkin it really makes your incoming day really easy.

Every time we go on vacation I feel like we spend the first 2 hours getting checked in and getting our luggage to our room. Then I am worn out and just want to plop on the bed lol. Then again we normally stay at timeshares and with kids and kitchen atuff we have a crap ton of luggage :)
Disney's been good for check ins even before MY Magic. You can do the online check in, choose the building you prefer, and then you go to a special on line counter at the check in lobby. Lines are short and they have your entire packet ready to go, including maps, parking pass etc. Nice & easy.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
So used the new system a lot over this past weekend. In Magic Kingdom today we were able to get some pretty good fast passes after our initial ones were up. So we had pre-booked Mine Train, Peter Pan, and Anna & Elsa. We were done around 3 PM (Started at 10 AM and planned a lunch in between). We then were able to pretty quickly get Pirate fast passes. We did Philharmagic (walk on), Carousal (walk on), and Magic Carpets (20 minutes) and then our Pirates (stand by was 40) Fast passes were up. While in line for Pirates we booked Jungle Cruise (stand by was 40) for about 20 minutes later. Grabbed a dole whip and then road Jungle. Then 2 of us grabbed Space mountain while the rest got Buzz for after dinner. Did Presidents and then sit down dinner. Then we split up with our child swap and did space and buzz. Then 3 more did Space with the child swap. My daughter got to ride 3 times because well long story short, she got lost and did what we had told her to do and so somehow when she did space they knew it was her when she swipped her magic bands at the picture spot and led her down a hallway to ride again.

On a side note, while they know where you are in certain spots and when you swipe your magic band, they do not know where you are at all times in the park. They cannot track your whereabouts unless you are actually on a ride or have swipped it recently. As that was not a method to find a lost child and we asked.

Anyway, if we had stayed we could have gotten more FPs, but it was late, I have to get up early to go back to DHS, and losing a child really wears you out. But we could get some decent fast passes after ours were up. As long as you are willing to refresh a couple times, you can find most everything except the super busy ones like Mine Train and Anna/Elsa. However a couple times I did see Mine Train, but it was never at times we wanted that one. But thunder, space, splash, and Peter Pan we were able to get at various times on Friday and Sunday. Sometimes you could grab a fast pass that was starting either then or within 30 minutes. Even Jungle which had a 40 minute line we got fast passes that were starting within a short period after getting off Pirates.

Now I don't think we would have been as lucky in the summer, spring break, or Christmas/Holidays. But I think outside of those times, you can have some pretty good luck with the system.

Also, wanted to add they have shut down the second scan spots for some of the rides. This doesn't reduce costs because at all those points there was still someone there. However it does speed things up. They seem to only be doing it at lower popular rides or rides that the FP and Standby line never meet. So like Finding Nemo, Anna and Elsa, and Pirates are couple examples. They are still running it at Mine Train and BTM. So they are not doing this at every ride. So I think this was to speed things up at certain rides without causing issues since people are not going to care to jump (Buzz at under 20 minute wait) or they can't jump because the lines never meet up.

Memory Maker is all over the place including Small World. And wow, yes, the general public eats it up. Our friends were highly impressed at the Jasmine Meet and Greet that it had their names on some kind of thing for the characters to read and they could see it. They loved it and the kids really loved it. Also, they love the Magic Bands and love how their dining plan, room key, park ticket, and FPs are all on one thing and they don't have to worry about anything. They also love the FP system as it is now vs. the paper system. They come once a year pretty much every year. I think they skipped one year since having Disney age kids because of work (she was not allowed to take time off during a new system implementation one year). Now I will admit that the husband loves to plan things out. So I believe this style systems is perfect for that personality.

So you can get more than 4 fast passes now?

Once you have used your initial 3 you can get another, then as soon as you scan your magic band you can get another one (I normally look while in the FP line waiting to get on the ride). And it keeps going on like this until park close. There is no limit on the amount of passes and you can even book rides you already had fast passes for. Like our friends did Peter Pan twice in one day with FPs. My other friends did BTM twice with fast passes. As long as fast passes are available and the park is open you can get them.

To get what you want you just keep refreshing it and checking. It is amazing with this new system how quickly passes open up and then shut back down. One minute there is nothing for Peter Pan then I hit refresh and there was like 3 different times available. Then later, again nothing. But we never really had issues finding something that had a 20+ minute line to get a FP for and like I said 2 of the ones we got were 40 and another was Space which had a 60 minute wait or more most of the day.

Good to know. I knew they started allowing you to select your fourth on the app, but did not know you could continue going. Thank you.

Yesterday we managed to get FPs twice for Toy Story. We booked one in advance and then while watching Beauty and the Beast I looked and some appeared for Toy Story so I grabbed them. It was 5 PM and the FP was for 5:30. So when B&B ended we walked over and our FPs were ready. We didn't see Toy Story available at any other point so I am sure it was dumb luck. But we seemed to run into dumb luck a lot this past weekend.

I agree with Bri, they need to remove FP for things that don't make sense. I wonder if they keep them just so people might pick them. Especially in Epcot, like no one needs it for anything in the imagination pavilion. But I guess they figure they have so few things there they need to leave it. But those never seem to have lines. The rest on busy days have lines and I see people using them.

In MK there is nothing that is always a walk on. So not sure where I would remove FPs in that park. Maybe stitch and Laugh floor? Probably Philharmagic too. Never need them there either.

My friend texted me. There was a 20 minute wait at Buzz. They had a fast pass and got into the FP line. Then while getting on booked another one that started right away. They did this 4 or 5 times. I have got to think Disney will close that hole at some point, but maybe they could care less. I would think they should make it so you can do your next at the end of the time period, not when you use it. I personally hope they never close this as I plan to take advantage of this :)

My past two experience with MM+ have been far from perfect. The Haunted Mansion ending was a mess today, nothing working right, screens off in Everest, kicked off two of my scheduled fast passes and when I tried to use the app it crashed, then tried the website, also down...

I had better luck with the kiosks in the parks.

I'm not impressed with this waste of money.

My past two experience with MM+ have been far from perfect. The Haunted Mansion ending was a mess today, nothing working right, screens off in Everest, kicked off two of my scheduled fast passes and when I tried to use the app it crashed, then tried the website, also down...

I had better luck with the kiosks in the parks.

I'm not impressed with this waste of money.

I will admit I have not seen the Memory Maker stuff yet. As I have not been on a ride that uses it. But that is odd you had the opposite experience as me when using the system. I had zero issues Friday thru Monday with the Fast Pass piece. Never lost my fast passes or anything. Never heard anyone complaining about losing fast passes either. Everyone seemed to be scanning and moving thru fine. We did have one thing happen where my friends phone didn't show the great movie ride at all where mine did. But after about 30 minutes it worked fine again. That might have been phone specific.

Now they just need to remove FP from some rides and I'll be a lot happier.

Disneyland has 7 attractions with FastPass. 7! Compared to MK which has most of the park on it.

They WERE texting some type of use of the MyMagic+ tech on Hyperspace Mountain where you actually put up the paper FastPass ticket to the machine so it'd turn green.

Big update to My Disney Experience app will bring navigation capability

Working much like Google Maps, you will be able to select an attraction from the map, hit 'Get Directions,' and then choose a 'From' location, which can be your current position from GPS, or another attraction or location.

Not only will the navigation work inside a park to attractions, shops and restaurants, it will also give you directions across the entire Walt Disney World property.

When navigating outside of the parks, the app will make use of the various transportation options, including bus, monorail and watercraft. It will also give an estimate of time required.

Big update to My Disney Experience app will bring navigation capability