Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mysterious Structure?

Jan 10, 2013
No man's land: SoCal
Anyone know what they're building down here?

IMG_4287.jpg

I am probably wrong here but...what if; its a expansion of the transformers shop. I mean, its even on the side of the building and it could be a plausible to expand it, have a indoor meet & greet and more space for merchandise. just thinking...

This new structure does not look very elaborate.  My guess is also a more permanent meet and greet location with integrated sound and more comfort for the actors.

I bet you guys anything it's a new store for the Mummy.  As they are razing Soundstage 28, I bet you guys anything Diagon Alley will appear in the lower lot in maybe 5 years from now.  That means the current Tomb Traders store across from the Mummy could easily be razed as well due to the fact that that area including the Panda Express and bathrooms are facing the Soundstage 28, which could easily become the future Gringotts.

As said above, it's just a more permanent structure for the Transformers Meet-and-Greet. I'm surprised at how many People truly believe that Diagon Alley can fit in the Lower Lot with that extra space SS28 will provide. The Gringotts show building alone is bigger than Revenge of the Mummy's footprint. 

IU's Twitter page has more recent photos of this development. The cutout of the entryway previously used for the Transformers meet-and-greet is identical to the shape of a big cutout in the structure being built right now. There's absolutely no way that USH would cut back on such a successful interactive element as to permanently squeeze this mini-attraction in front of the extended queue for TF.

Oh, I think there's a very safe bet that Diagon Alley could appear in the lower lot.  There's a hodgepodge of buildings across from the Mummy/ Transformers in the lower lot that could easily become Diagon Alley if they are all razed.  The Tomb Treasures store, Panda Express, Ben and Jerry's, and hodgepodge of long and narrow bathroom pathways across from the Jurassic Cafe could all probably be repurposed into a downscaled London/ King's Cross Station and with the room they have, I bet they could easily fit in both Diagon Alley and the Carkitt Market and maybe Knockturn Alley as well.  The Gringotts building is not much bigger than the Transformers building in Orlando, and the Soundstage 28 is still bigger than it's next door neighbor, Transformers.  Plus, wouldn't you rather take the Hogwarts Express between the Upper and Lower lots instead of the long and monotonous Starway?  I provided an overlay of IU's photo to see how they could potentially fit Diagon Alley into the lower lot.  

diagonalleymaphollywood.png

Not sure where you got your information from concerning size but uh... yea. We would have to redo the entire Lower Lot (which means getting rid of one of the rides) to fit Diagon Alley. Anyways, sorry Mods for straying off topic. 

14889055640_6516be5fd5_c.jpg

Don't forget, knowing Universal these days, there's always the possibility of adding a new floor and expanding the building back and front as well!  There's a bit of room in front and in back of the building and they could add another floor this time like they did with Transformers.  Despite that, I think there's definitely potential for the restaurants overlayed to become Diagon Alley as the size of that area easily relates in size to Orlando's Diagon Alley.  What they could also supposedly do is use part of that current "street" to place the Gringotts fire-breathing dragon.  I really do think they could do it differently in Hollywood than Orlando.  If you see the latest construction pics of Hogsmeade, they are designing it differently from Orlando and Japan's to accomodate the smaller size!

PS that's a really impressive Photoshop you made there, Zero56!

Last edited by a moderator:
*sigh* regardless of what you are saying, it is absolutely impossible for Diagon Alley to be on the lower lot, especially in that location. I don't think you have a concept of size.....Diagon Alley is larger than Hogsmeade, and look how much space that took up in the upper lot. It is 1000% impossible to squeeze Diagon Alley in any form in that location, even with the loss of Panda and Universal Experience. It's just...impossible...and they would not just shoehorn in Gringotts or do it differently in Hollywood, that's impossible as well. Sorry...

I mean, honestly. Look at the picture Zero56 made to show you the building size comparison....and yet you're still saying it could fit.

Stage 28 could fit THREE times comfortably inside the Gringotts show building. And that's just the SHOW BUILDING, not counting any facades, and the rest of the massive land...

Jaws was eliminated for 2 reasons in Orlando.  1. Size  2. Expensive to operate and maintain in the new world.

Consider the same thing which is happening at USH and you can see what attractions will be removed.  Notice how few fire effects are remaining in our park...only Waterworld, Jaws, and Earthquake.  Its amazing how the guests first initial reaction to fire on the tour was Fast and Furious, but today its not until they reach JAWS do you feel fire!

Backdraft is gone, Mummy was cheap and no fire added.  Same with Transformers.  I guess the reason for so many motion simulator attractions are because Green is Universal!