Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

ESPN WWoS "Bubble" Usage

Remind me to never stay at The Swan and Dolphin!

Seeing the practice courts is crazy because that’s where my CP Formal was held. Makes you wonder why they need the teams court for practice? Why not just a generic NBA one? I mean, we’re talking bout practice. Not a game. Practice.

I guess it's ok for practice courts, but the ceiling seems too low. I guess no one will be practicing full court or high arcing shots in there.
The ceiling is certainly lower than even a normal NBA practice court by a wide margin, but I don't think it's as low as it looks. I think the angle makes it seem lower than it is.

Seeing the practice courts is crazy because that’s where my CP Formal was held. Makes you wonder why they need the teams court for practice? Why not just a generic NBA one? I mean, we’re talking bout practice. Not a game. Practice.
I was wondering that too, but I guess just to make it seem more... real? I think only the teams staying at certain hotels got their courts. The teams not expected to make the playoffs (all except for one or two will go home) - staying at Yacht Club - didn't get theirs I don't believe.

I wonder what the contracts look like for WNBA and if they require a certain hotel level.
There has to be some standard, but this seems to be towards the bare minimum of what they could've done. The league runs on razor thin margins to get by however, much like the MLS (although MLS is starting to grow a bit). That of course, doesn't excuse them treating the WNBA way worse than the NBA. It's a very bad PR look for the NBA (as they own the WNBA as well).

Don’t mean double post, but this is pertinent to the thread:

Also, teams starting to arrive at the NBA bubble:

And here’s the early COVID detection ring the players need to wear in the bubble:

Last edited:
The WNBA is at the IMG Academy? Dear god, those poor women.

For those who don’t know, IMG Academy is known as a resident soccer academy for high school/college age players. It’s, essentially, a sports boarding school. It is not a resort, or even a hotel, by any stretch. They’re basically in hold dorms.

I gotta say, it's so dang interesting watching these players who are so privileged have to live like normal people for a change. For instance, Lakers player Rajon Rondo doing some good advertising for Motel 6 here.

I mean, the room isn't the most spacious, but some players are making the best of it and not complaining:

I gotta say, it's so dang interesting watching these players who are so privileged have to live like normal people for a change. For instance, Lakers player Rajon Rondo doing some good advertising for Motel 6 here.

I mean, the room isn't the most spacious, but some players are making the best of it and not complaining:

Ik the Gran Destino rooms aren't the best rooms ever, but the entitlement is oozing out of that post. I almost want them to make him stay in an actual Motel 6 (or even the All-Stars) so he can really see how the rest of us live.

On a side note, while I did point out Rondo's post above, I think it's hilarious watching Pixie dusters have a meltdown because NBA players are calling their favorite hotels a piece of crap. And they are small rooms for a regular human, never mind the 6'8 and up super athlete.
----------------------------------------------
Evan Fornier of the Magic has some quality content showcasing the whole of the Grand Floridian Bubble:

This was a fun little video:

Players Lounge at Grand Floridian:

On a side note, while I did point out Rondo's post above, I think it's hilarious watching Pixie dusters have a meltdown because NBA players are calling their favorite hotels a piece of crap. And they are small rooms for a regular human, never mind the 6'8 and up super athlete.

I was about to say, to play a lil bit of devil's advocate, it is fascinating to see what someone outside the Disney/theme park bubble thinks of the hotels/rooms. There can be a bit of truth which hurts.

An to be frank, there are Disney hotels which are way overpriced in more ways than one, including ones that I personally like.

I was about to say, to play a lil bit of devil's advocate, it is fascinating to see what someone outside the Disney/theme park bubble thinks of the hotels/rooms. There can be a bit of truth which hurts.

An to be frank, there are Disney hotels which are way overpriced in more ways than one, including ones that I personally like.
Disney hotels, particularly the upper-tiered ones, tend to wow with a pretty great Lobby/common areas, all three hotels being used for the NBA pull this off well, particularly Grand Flroirdian and Gran Destino. However, even in the highest class of rooms at Grand Floridian are too small and are overpriced. To me it looks like Disney is showing off the best they have to offer at every hotel, too, without giving out penthouses and obviously there isn't enough of those.

I'll say, aside from being a bit farther from WWOS, the teams that got Yacht and GF won out though. They at least get balconies while the players at Coronado may be there for upwards of 3 months and have no way to just chill with fresh air in their room. A docu-series on this some time down the line i'd imagine will happen and it will be fascinating.

Yes, I would take the standard Universal Portofino Resort room over any Disney standard room. And the cost is significantly less. I could see NBA players liking the Portofino if they stayed there in their private lives.

Yes, I would take the standard Universal Portofino Resort room over any Disney standard room. And the cost is significantly less. I could see NBA players liking the Portofino if they stayed there in their private lives.
Nah, they’re used to the Four Seasons and the Ritz. Portofino is nice, but the rooms still aren’t huge.

However, the quality of service is leaps and bounds better than Disney.

However, the service quality is leaps and bounds better than Disney.

That's one of the aces the Universal hotels have up their sleeves, there's a great consistent quality in all the hotels. The service quality I got from Sapphire Falls was just a good as when I stayed at Royal Pacific and the Hard Rock, so if for whatever reason I need to stay at a cheaper on-site hotel, I'd be totally comfortable in doing so. Also, the fact the majority of them are so close to the parks is another advantage that Disney doesn't have.

Looks like Matisse will be vlogging from the bubble!

Finally someone doing this properly rather than just through instagram. This is the quality content i'm here for.

Also, nnot only do the players at the Grand Floridian have a balcony, they seem to just generally have bigger rooms. I really just can't believe they gave these to the lesser teams.

Meanwhile, players are fishing at Grand Floridian :lol:

Last edited: