1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

NBCU sells stake in Oriental DreamWorks; it will be renamed Pearl Studio

Discussion in 'Games, Movies & Sports' started by zg44, Feb 2, 2018.

1. zg44

zg44 Member

China's CMC Takes Full Ownership of NBCUniversal's Oriental DreamWorks | Hollywood Reporter

Universal is out of Oriental DreamWorks now, they've sold their 45% stake to the majority partner CMC.

This means that Everest will be the only remaining movie that they collaborate on, set for release next year.

It's a sensible move given that Universal is focused on releasing 2 DreamWorks and 2 Illumination movies a year starting in 2019. They already have enough animation output to not need the Chinese joint venture.

This also might be bad news for Laika in the future; not sure if the FF-Laika deal is renewed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. Gillman

Gillman Rookie

I believe that after Boxtrolls Focus renewed with Laika for a two picture deal. Those two films being Kubo and whatever the next film will be. It would be sad to loose Laika's output but it doesn't seem like Universal has any desire to use them for Parks & Resorts despite how well received the Laika exhibit was when it was done in Hollywood.

3. Gillman

Gillman Rookie

Sorry, double post.

4. zg44

zg44 Member

Yeah, I just don't think Universal is going to want to be putting competing animation on their slate when they have the calendar saturated with DW/Illumination releasing a movie in nearly every quarter going forwards.

I think we'll see the same situation come out of the Disney-Fox merger; I can't imagine them keeping Blue Sky when they already own Disney Animation and Pixar.

5. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

Poor Laika. Dreamworks and Illuminations films are great and all- but Laika is on another level that Disney and Pixar can't even get close to touching.

Watched Kubo again a couple days ago- Zootopia beating that still blows my mind.
    Although, not really, considering the Disney bias and the fact a large sect of the voters likely never even watched Kubo.
    Had they watched it, it would have won.

Frogki likes this.
  6. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

It seems Dreamworks is still involved with producing films with Pearl Studios however they will not be the main distributors....