Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

NBCUniversal Gets TV Rights for Harry Potter Franchise

The deal also provides for “exclusive content and events” for Universal’s theme parks, which have had success with their Wizarding World of Harry Potter attractions. They can include fan events, movie screenings and promotional activities tied to the Potter franchise and Fantastic Beasts film series. The companies plan to to collaborate on digital initiatives with J.K. Rowling’s Pottermore, which includes the author’s original writing.

Basically it just means Potter won't be shown on Disney's Freeform anymore and instead a Comcast/NBC channel.

Hopefully with less commercials. A few weeks ago they had a HP marathon. One night Chamber of Secrets (a 161 minute film) was on for 255 minutes. The next morning they showed it again, this time it was on for 270 minutes. Over 100 minutes of ads and literally 15 more minutes of ads than the night before.

The deal also provides for “exclusive content and events” for Universal’s theme parks, which have had success with their Wizarding World of Harry Potter attractions. They can include fan events, movie screenings and promotional activities tied to the Potter franchise and Fantastic Beasts film series. The companies plan to to collaborate on digital initiatives with J.K. Rowling’s Pottermore, which includes the author’s original writing.

I think the more important part is the fan events, and promotional activities. When new movies are released Uni now has the exclusive rights to the promo parties. I can see them capitalizing on that with release parties in the parks.

Basically it just means Potter won't be shown on Disney's Freeform anymore and instead a Comcast/NBC channel.

Yes that's the biggest benefit, but it does include advertising events at the parks and other exclusive content which the ABC deal did not. One rumor has always been turning he books into HBO style miniseries and I wonder if this deal could cover that.

Synergy at it's best. It makes sense that you'd see WWOHP commercials during airings of the HP movies. Instead, guests are probably getting WDW ads during commercial breaks, maybe even on purpose.

Synergy at it's best. It makes sense that you'd see WWOHP commercials during airings of the HP movies. Instead, guests are probably getting WDW ads during commercial breaks, maybe even on purpose.
Now I have no sympathy when guests ask for the Harry Potter rides in WDW.