1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

New Forums

Discussion in 'Announcements, Rules & Information' started by Brian G., May 31, 2015.

1. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

So we've made some changes.. :lol:

Orlando United's forums now sit on its own dedicated site & have changed from using vBulletin's forum software to Xenforo's.

We realize a lot of you were clamoring for a better forum and user experience, and after much discussion between Drew and I on how to better that experience, we came to the conclusion this was the best move for the forums.

I understand that this is a pretty drastic change, especially since we've been using the same forum software for 8 years but as the internet and websites evolve, we had to evolve with it - and vBulletin's software was not evolving for what we felt were the best needs for you guys.

The good news is that I transferred everything possible from the old software. Usernames, posts, threads, reputation (now trophies), likes, private messages, avatars, smiles, etc; were all imported into the new forums. There were some restrictions however, but very small ones - I am confident that everything from the old forums is "as-is" minus the new look.

So why pick this software?

1. Mobile Experience - I know that the old mobile version was really lacking and really put a damper on some of your experiences when using a mobile device. Further more, other *ahem* future plans.... needed a better mobile experience as well.

2. User Experience - vBulletin was a simple forum to use, but really lacked (IMO) a great way for users to engage and interact with each other beyond just posting in the forums. With our new forums, you guys can now tag users that are relevant to the discussion, or if you want to bring their attention to something. Furthermore, you can also use hashtags to better index discussions. After some usage, we'll be able to create a page that gathers the most popular and relevant tags regarding future discussions (Kong, Volcano Bay, Mako). Another great feature is that addition of a "Similar Thread Check" that will populate when you create a new thread. My favorite feature is the inclusion of Link Converters. Instead of having to use a BBCode, or some sort of tag, all you have to do is just paste the link and the software will automatically convert it to either embed it or simplify the link. Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, YouTube, plus 100 more other websites are all included.

3. The Backend Experience - vBulletin was great for a long time, but as stated, wasn't evolving with the times. I'm not going to get into the specifics since it's all tech jargon; but long story, short - What I needed to add or hack into vBulletin to better the forum experience were default options on here.

There are countless new features included, and different ways of going about using features you're already familiar with so I'll try to help as best as I can. After all, it's still new to me too.

If you have any questions or complaints, please post them here - but I do ask to bare with me. There is only so much you can do to test the forum, and the only real way to make sure all systems are go is to have you guys take it for a ride. There will be growing pains in the next few weeks, but we feel this is the best way to go forward for you guys.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Choose Thy Fate... Premium Member

It looks great, and if it brings added flexibility with future functionality it's a win-win. Good move guys! :cheers:

Brian G. likes this.
  3. WAJAS98

WAJAS98 Veteran Member

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but could you guys bring back the feature where when I logged in there would be a bar in the most recent posts page that said where the new ones started since I had last been on.

Otherwise I love the new look and can't wait to see what new things you guys will be able to do with this software. The new mobile site is like 20 times better than the old one too, thanks a ton!

4. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

It's there.

Just like with "go to newest post" you'll have to revisit the forums/thread more than once for the feature to refresh. I had the same questions and discovered it myself.

5. Hockeyman55

Hockeyman55 Premium Member

@BriMan did anything change as far as the size of the signature pic allowed?

6. maxairmike

maxairmike Veteran Member

Glad to see the switch in software. This is much better on a phone and I'm starting to prefer the features on the desktop version of Xenforo as well (my other 2 most visited forums made the switch as well).

Brian G. likes this.
  7. NJBrandon

NJBrandon Premium Member

Is there any way we can get the "Activity Page" like we had on the previous forum where it displayed the most recent posts on the forums?

8. Brian G.

Drew likes this.
  9. Zombie-C

Zombie-C Rookie

The forums look great! Run smooth on phone. Good thinking BriMan and Drew.

Drew and Brian G. like this.
  10. IAmFloridaBorn

IAmFloridaBorn Veteran Member

I like. I had to check my web address at first :thumbsup:
    I was like WTF lol But nice and smooth. Good work!

11. hockey87

hockey87 Newcomer

Maybe I'm just missing it, but on the old software, there was a way to set it to when you were in a particular forum, you would only view threads from the last day, week, month, etc (whatever you decided to set it to). Is it still possible to do that?

IAmFloridaBorn likes this.
  12. Brian G.

To my knowledge, no. But I will double-check tomorrow before I'm 100% on my answer.

13. hockey87

hockey87 Newcomer

Thanks for looking into it!

14. ynnoj

ynnoj Member

Damn, lost my unread state/position on most threads :(

15. bb3030150

bb3030150 Premium Member

Got the trophy for 10000 posts... Aww yeahhh:clap:. Not sure if I'm the only one undeservingly having this but just letting you know.:tongue:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  16. Brian G.

Yeah, I have to fix that. :lol:

17. grizzlybarely

grizzlybarely Veteran Member

Awesome work, boys. It will take some getting used to, but that comes with any major change. It's very clean. If you need any help, let me know. I'm a web developer.

18. Hockeyman55

Hockeyman55 Premium Member

Yeah you might want to fix @bb3030150 's signature also :tongue:

19. bb3030150

bb3030150 Premium Member

You're right! Having the GOAT in a signature might just crash this new fancy forum we have here ;) The Bruins avatar might just push it over the edge as well haha

Hockeyman55 likes this.
  20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Hey, what happened to all my likes. Before the change I was liked at least a tiny little bit. Now, I'm hardly liked at all. What a difference a weekend makes.....:( LOL