Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Here. Got here as fast as I could!

Jul 8, 2012
Houston, TX
Just wanted to say hi and let my presence be known. I am in the process of planning our second trip to Universal and am looking for all the information, tips and tricks I can find to maximize our time there. We didn't get to spend much time at the parks the first visit so we are heading back to do it right this time (hopefully!).

If there are things we must do, things we must eat, things we shouldn't bother with, etc, please feel free to let me know!. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

Lydia

Welcome!! Are you going to both parks or just one or the other?

We will be at both parks for 8 days during HHN.. We were able to go to HHN last year and had a blast. We saw the horror make up show and we loved it! Skip Fear Factor ... Noted. :smiley:

What about City Walk? We didn't go there. Is anything worth seeing?

Welcome to OU!

Yes, Citywalk is a great spot. The dining options are phenomenal. (Bubba Gump, Margaritaville, and Churrasaria are my personal faves.) And if you get the time, try out the Hollywood Drive-In Mini golf! The best time to do it would be at night, with all of the insane lighting effects. :thumbs:

Welcome to OU!

Yes, Citywalk is a great spot. The dining options are phenomenal. (Bubba Gump, Margaritaville, and Churrasaria are my personal faves.) And if you get the time, try out the Hollywood Drive-In Mini golf! The best time to do it would be at night, with all of the insane lighting effects. :thumbs:

Thank you! I was just reading about the mini golf. I didn't even know that existed. What a nice surprise. I've been looking for more info on it, mainly if there is a discount with the annual pass. Anyone know?

Yes, it just opened earlier this year. There is indeed a discount for annual passholders, but I believe you need to have the preferred or the premier to utilize it.

Welcome!!! And from the sounds of how long the lines are for Despicable Me it would probably make sense to get that done first and hit up the rest of the park!!!

Welcome! Dining at Universal is a treasure not to be missed. :thumbs:

What I consider to be a hidden gem for most travelers is the dining options at the on site hotels. My personal favorite is Mama Della's Ristorante at the Portofino Bay Hotel. Mama Della's is a reasonably priced Italian restaurant with a strolling band and amazing food. As an added bonus, ask for outdoor seating for a beautiful view of the hotel's bay and courtyard. You won't regret it!

But Bice Ristorante at the Portofino Bay Hotel, Emeril's Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific Resort, and The Palm at the Hard Rock are also completely worth checking out. Bice is a little more upscale than Mama Della's but offer even more delectable Italian fare. I personally find Emeril's Tchoup Chop to be a better restaurant than the Emeril's Restaurant at CityWalk, as the Asian fusion menu makes my mouth water. The Palm at the Hard Rock is a fun yet charming steakhouse definitely worth checking out.

Welcome to the site! Feel free to ask away with the travel questions. There's plenty of people here who can help. :thumbs:

Welcome! Dining at Universal is a treasure not to be missed. :thumbs:

What I consider to be a hidden gem for most travelers is the dining options at the on site hotels. My personal favorite is Mama Della's Ristorante at the Portofino Bay Hotel. Mama Della's is a reasonably priced Italian restaurant with a strolling band and amazing food. As an added bonus, ask for outdoor seating for a beautiful view of the hotel's bay and courtyard. You won't regret it!

But Bice Ristorante at the Portofino Bay Hotel, Emeril's Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific Resort, and The Palm at the Hard Rock are also completely worth checking out. Bice is a little more upscale than Mama Della's but offer even more delectable Italian fare. I personally find Emeril's Tchoup Chop to be a better restaurant than the Emeril's Restaurant at CityWalk, as the Asian fusion menu makes my mouth water. The Palm at the Hard Rock is a fun yet charming steakhouse definitely worth checking out.

Ooohhhh, tell me more! I'm a foodie and love finding awesome places to eat. Do you know anything about the Wantilan Luau at Royal Pacific? Places to eat off property is also an option.

Ooohhhh, tell me more! I'm a foodie and love finding awesome places to eat. Do you know anything about the Wantilan Luau at Royal Pacific? Places to eat off property is also an option.

Wantilan Luau is a toss up. The experience is always fun and lively but some people don't always enjoy the food. Churrascaria at Latin Quarter in CityWalk has a great dining experience if you're into the Brazilian steakhouse. For amazing food with Mediterranean flare, Kouzzina at the Disney Boardwalk (adjacent to Epcot) can't be beat.

If you have the time, take a day and hit up pretty much anything in Downtown Orlando. Away from the "touristy-ness" of other parts of Orlando, it's a great place to enjoy a succulent piece of fish, pop into a wine bar, or stumble onto pretty much any great eatery.