New Star Wars Trilogy from David Benioff/D.B. Weiss | Inside Universal Forums

New Star Wars Trilogy from David Benioff/D.B. Weiss

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
milking-cow_iStock-Thinkstock.jpg

Reactions: tankart150
We're going to get to the point of two Star Wars films per year VERY soon.

I love Star Wars, but even so, i'm already starting to tire at one per year, never mind the thought of two. Somehow, Marvel has been able to avoid reaching this point where I feel the fatigue. Maybe it's because all of their movies tend to have a different feel (whereas Star Wars is typically all same-y).

Either way, Disney is going to run this into the ground and blue milk it for all it's worth.

They really should have stuck to a less aggressive schedule for Star Wars. Star Wars isn't Marvel or DC; it's not a superhero universe where you can just add new characters or angles and expect everyone to show up. For many fans, the entire appeal was the trials and tribulations of the Skywalker family (and their extended group).

They clearly want to Marvel-ize it and try to expand it into a universe with multiple ongoing storylines, but they may end up just killing the golden goose instead if all of these spinoffs don't end up working out.

I wouldn't count out Disney given the success that they've had with Marvel, but there are just a lot of reasons why fans enjoy superhero movies that can't be easily carried over to Star Wars.

I can easily see one or both of the announced trilogies being good. However, i'm not sure that Disney is going to make the type of money they think they are going to.

Also, if Disney is doing a SW Cinematic Universe type deal, they should just come out and lay it all out. That way, people can get mad now (or hyped), but that way, at least they know what they're in for with these upcoming films.

I can easily see one or both of the announced trilogies being good. However, i'm not sure that Disney is going to make the type of money they think they are going to.

Also, if Disney is doing a SW Cinematic Universe type deal, they should just come out and lay it all out. That way, people can get mad now (or hyped), but that way, at least they know what they're in for with these upcoming films.
Yeah the biggest problem that I can foresee is fan confusion if they have up to 4 different timelines (and eventually more if they keep handing out new trilogies like candy):

1) Continuation of main story past Episode 9
2) Prequels that occur before Episode 4
3) Rian Trilogy
4) Benioff-Weiss Trilogy

It's going to be a lot to follow, and I know a lot of fans that may end up just deciding to follow the main story while dropping the rest...

In the meantime, Bob Iger has given a statement.

"They're focused on a point in time in the Star Wars mythology and taking it from there."

Yeah the biggest problem that I can foresee is fan confusion if they have up to 4 different timelines (and eventually more if they keep handing out new trilogies like candy):

3) Rian Trilogy
4) Benioff-Weiss Trilogy

It's going to be a lot to follow, and I know a lot of fans that may end up just deciding to follow the main story while dropping the rest...

You also have to deal with the EA games, which include the Old Republic series, Battlefront 2's story (regardless of what you think of it), and the upcoming Respawn Entertainment game.

Not to mention Comics, books, and Television (which, they are close to announcing soon on one of the shows), I would imagine that it's a problem already.

Considering game of thrones has sucked balls since they ran out of source material, how could anyone be excited?

Once they ran out of George Martins books, GoT not only got bad- but fanboy over the top extremely unrealistic stupid.

So no, not excited.

Considering game of thrones has sucked balls since they ran out of source material, how could anyone be excited?

Once they ran out of George Martins books, GoT not only got bad- but fanboy over the top extremely unrealistic stupid.

So no, not excited.

If I'm not mistaken, the two actually haven't been apart of GoT on a writing level since after episode 45.

If anything, Confederate is probably on the line at HBO, as Watchmen gets further in the development cycle than that.

3) Rian Trilogy
4) Benioff-Weiss Trilogy

In the meantime, Bob Iger has given a statement.

"They're focused on a point in time in the Star Wars mythology and taking it from there."

You also have to deal with the EA games, which include the Old Republic series, Battlefront 2's story (regardless of what you think of it), and the upcoming Respawn Entertainment game.

Not to mention Comics, books, and Television (which, they are close to announcing soon on one of the shows), I would imagine that it's a problem already.
Yeah, it seems like they're headed towards an MCU route (with TV being loosely connected, much like MCU). As I mentioned, they really need to just come out with it instead of giving vague statements so that confusion can stop and people at least know what they're getting and be angry about it now instead of later.

After doing some checking, I unfortunately have seen that they have been writing by themselves for the most part (Excluding Dave Hill and Brian Cogman in that regard).
Thanks for doing the research.
Then the odds of this sucking has just gone up exponentially.
Modern GoT is the equivelant of Transformers with less Michael bay sweeping shots. But the guts of if are pretty identical.
Disney is a fool here.

To those worried about oversaturation- fear not.
Pure and complete suckage from these two will likely happen before oversaturation.

Yeah, it seems like they're headed towards an MCU route (with TV being loosely connected, much like MCU). As I mentioned, they really need to just come out with it instead of giving vague statements so that confusion can stop and people at least know what they're getting and be angry about it now instead of later.

I would've thought that they'd be would've done it back in 2015, from the rise of popularity of Star Wars Rebels, the books/comics kicking off, and The Force Awakens.

Perhap's they are waiting for once the New Light trilogy (That's what I call it) ends, because I get the feeling that both Rian's and the Benioff/Weiss series will be completely different from eachother.

CoWZ05t.gif

This isn't like Marvel where superheroes interact with each other on the regular in the comics. The extended universe stuff is/was for diehard fans only and not general moviegoers who are only interested in the theatrical part of the series. The Last Jedi's box office already indicated the series is getting somewhat oversaturated, but I don't think Disney is going to pay attention unless something does REALLY poorly here (IE Solo under 250M).