New Theater at Magic Kingdom | Inside Universal Forums

New Theater at Magic Kingdom

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
WDWKCMT5789436.jpg

Definitely think this is the sleeper announcement of D23. This could add a high capacity (~2,000 seat), high quality show without being something that people will rush to the MK to see, which is a good thing in my eyes. The more areas to soak up the crowds, the better. With this addition, it also looks like the Main Street Bypass will become a permanent part of the park as well. Here are a few things we posted about in the D23 thread:

Courtesy of Scott Gustin on twitter:

DE0x8E7VwAAPjfv.jpg

and this was from @Alexshow:
MEChV0f.jpg

What show do you think guys think will end up in this theatre?

Reactions: Scott W.
I've been saying that the Magic Kingdom needs a show like this since my first visit to Disneyland when they had Snow White: An Enchanting Musical in the Fantasyland Theater there. What a no-brainer for an attraction that could fill up to an hour of your day and can put through thousands of guests a day.

I think every Disneyland Park around the world has a major show right now, and has had for years, except for Magic Kingdom.

As for what I'd like to see? Honestly, almost every single Disney animated film could translate beautifully to the stage. I've never seen Nightmare Before Christmas on stage and would love to see that as it's my favorite Disney movie alongside Little Mermaid.

It should absolutely be Aladdin from DCA. It's a proven hit and would draw guests back to the front of the park during the day.

Moana WOULD be a great in-park exclusive, as Tangled, Aladdin, and Hercules are either currently or have been onboard the Disney ships.

Moana WOULD be a great in-park exclusive, as Tangled, Aladdin, and Hercules are either currently or have been onboard the Disney ships.

That's quite true.

I know there was an article about Alan Menken saying he was starting work on a stage adaptation of Hercules. I think the interviewer reached out to Disney Theatrical and they said it wasn't for them, so either they're keeping hush, or it's a production for one of the parks/ships.

Edit.

Here's the link actually:
Alan Menken at Work on Hercules Stage Musical Adaptation | Broadway Buzz | Broadway.com

The original OC Register article mentions that his manager said, " Alan is working on creating interest sufficient to move forward with a production of ‘Hercules’ but that has not yet happened." But who knows if that's true. Hopefully they're just keeping future plans under wraps. After the reaction "Go the Distance" got during the new fireworks show, I can't imagine them not considering Herc as a strong option.

Reactions: UNIrd
I'm just shocked there's a new stage musical coming to MK and not DHS. For once being dubbed "the show park," DHS doesn't have that many of them left anymore.

I miss the Hunchback show that was at DHS. It was really well done and 100% unique. Very theatrical. I was very disappointed when that show closed. I hope something of that caliber comes to this theater. Hopefully it will be a mini Broadway production and not just a 'character' show like most of the parks shows. Disney really should embrace some of the 'lesser' animations from the 90's such as Hunchback, Pocahontas and Hercules. They had great music/story and would translate so well to the stage.

I have the feeling a lot of Disney's less famous 90s animated movies are now reaching cult classic status. I'm looking at The Emperor's New Groove in particular, but also the others.

At some point, I hope they'll get a small shoutout in the parks. Or at least merch.

I miss the Hunchback show that was at DHS. It was really well done and 100% unique. Very theatrical. I was very disappointed when that show closed. I hope something of that caliber comes to this theater. Hopefully it will be a mini Broadway production and not just a 'character' show like most of the parks shows. Disney really should embrace some of the 'lesser' animations from the 90's such as Hunchback, Pocahontas and Hercules. They had great music/story and would translate so well to the stage.

I loved the DHS Hunchback show as a kid. And I agree, I would love to see them bring some 90s IPs back to the forefront in some capacities.

Hercules would be an awesome choice for this theatre, imo. But I also kinda really want to see them bring A Goofy Movie to the stage? I rewatched it the other day and couldn't stop thinking how much I want it to come to this new theatre. It certain has a level of cult status and it's a lot more popular with the 20-somethings than you'd think. And it's Goofy! One of the fab five! Even those too young to know the movie will know the character. I know it's a pipe dream, but I want it nonetheless lol

This show will not focus on just one IP. This will be a compilation show probably staring Mickey, much like Mickey and the Magical Map. Don't expect a full length version of your favorite childhood movie. This is Mainstreet USA.

This show will not focus on just one IP. This will be a compilation show probably staring Mickey, much like Mickey and the Magical Map. Don't expect a full length version of your favorite childhood movie. This is Mainstreet USA.
Something like Magical Map is possible, but a lot of things are pointing towards a singular IP show. The Castle show will remain the show for a mashup of IPs.

And this being MS USA means it's the perfect place for basically any show. MS USA, while themed to an early 20th century small town, it's also sort of a generic land in which almost any character is on the table.

Something like Magical Map is possible, but a lot of things are pointing towards a singular IP show. The Castle show will remain the show for a mashup of IPs.

And this being MS USA means it's the perfect place for basically any show. MS USA, while themed to an early 20th century small town, it's also sort of a generic land in which almost any character is on the table.

Eh, the other parks have mashup stage shows along with their mashup nighttime shows. I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Since the theater is themed to an actual old theater any production will thematically fit Main Street. Its just another anywhere USA theater showing the latest stage production. So the possibilities truly are endless. Hopefully since it is themed to a theater they will use the space for a 'real' Broadway caliber show and not a Disney character mashup show.

This is actually the new attraction, except for GE, that I'm looking most forward to. Both Universal & Disney need more of the same, attractions/shows that consume more than the 4 to 5 minute of entertainment we get from ride attractions.

This is actually the new attraction, except for GE, that I'm looking most forward to. Both Universal & Disney need more of the same, attractions/shows that consume more than the 4 to 5 minute of entertainment we get from ride attractions.
And this show will roughly eat about 2,000 people off the street per showing, too. Huge for a park that needs high capacity attractions.

And this show will roughly eat about 2,000 people off the street per showing, too. Huge for a park that needs high capacity attractions.

Yep, MK needs people eaters that don't serve as attractions that bring more people in. Hoping this does that. And Tron - besides geeks like me, who's going to MK because there's a new Tron coaster? :D

These two things hopefully will help with the line mess that FP+ created.

Yep, MK needs people eaters that don't serve as attractions that bring more people in. Hoping this does that. And Tron - besides geeks like me, who's going to MK because there's a new Tron coaster? :D

These two things hopefully will help with the line mess that FP+ created.
Agreed on the theatre, but Tron will bring big crowds. Tron won't bring crowds because of the IP mostly, it will be because it's a high speed, launch coaster and it's in the most visited park on the planet. MK also hasn't seen an E-ticket open since 1992 when Splash Mountain opened.

My biggest hope with Tron is that since it will be right next to SM, it will relieve pressure from it and even allow the ride to close for a major refurbishment without issue. The ride is going to become unsafe, much like DL's was back in 2003, if they don't do something soon. I would hate for something fatal to happen because they're too cheap to give it the modern update it deserves.

Reactions: JoeCamel