Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

Brilliant!

And it's not without precedent

1849-5671197ec7f58d5984bc3b79f60ee44f.jpg
Ahhhhh. My home away from home. Thirteen weeks and counting. Portofino :clap::love:.............Yes, that was a brilliant idea for a Studio's lagoon show platform. Tideblue comes up with the great idea of the month.

The barges were ugly to facilitate the massive infrastructure needed for the underwhelming water screens. Now that they’re gone I can see them installing WoC like water jets on there and maybe fireworks.

Right- but they could have been a Large sailboat, a large freight or tug, and a large cruiser; for examples.

At the time those barges were made, Universal was still incorporating that "in your face" tacky 90s look. This is the chance for them to take the park into another level of immersion. Granted, Simpsons Transformers and MIB hurts with that- but if they expand London into F&F and whatever MIB becomes, this can be a long-term move to some great pics and views across the lake.

Brilliant!

And it's not without precedent

1849-5671197ec7f58d5984bc3b79f60ee44f.jpg

Last time I stayed at @Mad Dog ’s home, well it was the first time I noticed that the boat that has a dingy teathered to it, well, it spins around on this pole every now and again so it is always facing a different way and the dingy seems to free float save the tether which causes the dingy to spin around...talk about a relaxing vacation (where I can take the time to notice the little things).

Let's go easy with the word "great." Start with "moderately entertaining" and go from there.

Nah. Universal is too successful and has too much talent to settle for any half measures. They're no longer the little brother. They're a world class resort with the recent pedigree to back it up.

No more half measures.

I'm still really hoping this ends up being Universal's first great nighttime show. They need it.

Let's go easy with the word "great." Start with "moderately entertaining" and go from there.
It doesn't need to be great per se, but it needs to be something that hooks guests and makes them want to see it multiple times per trip.

It has to be better than Rivers of Light as far as keeping the audience attention, but it also doesn't have to be the grand spectacle that Reflections of Earth is. Thinking about it, I do think that lagoon could benefit from some sort of seating area like DAK has for River of Light, which would give whatever the show is a definitive viewing angle.

I think Universal just needs a show that will captivate guests enough to want to stay late into the park, which will give them a reason to keep the park open later.

It doesn't need to be great per se, but it needs to be something that hooks guests and makes them want to see it multiple times per trip.

It has to be better than Rivers of Light as far as keeping the audience attention, but it also doesn't have to be the grand spectacle that Reflections of Earth is. Thinking about it, I do think that lagoon could benefit from some sort of seating area like DAK has for River of Light, which would give whatever the show is a definitive viewing angle.

I think Universal just needs a show that will captivate guests enough to want to stay late into the park, which will give them a reason to keep the park open later.
This.

A little big for your suitcase?

I'm more concerned about the weight than the size. I can't tell if they're plastic or metal.

Nah. Universal is too successful and has too much talent to settle for any half measures. They're no longer the little brother. They're a world class resort with the recent pedigree to back it up.

No more half measures.

Weren't you just slating the night time Hogwarts show?

I don't think Uni can pull that off unless the final product is great though. They need something that generates buzz. People need to leave telling their friends and family "Oh my gosh you HAVE to stay for the nighttime show." If it's not Disney quality, they're going to leave saying, "It's okay, but Illuminations/Fantasmic/etc is way better. You don't have to stay."

Weren't you just slating the night time Hogwarts show?

Which one? The Christmas one is really, really good. The other one is really, really not.

But even then, those aren't nighttime spectaculars. They're like the appetizers Disney plays before their nighttime shows.

I don't think Uni can pull that off unless the final product is great though. They need something that generates buzz. People need to leave telling their friends and family "Oh my gosh you HAVE to stay for the nighttime show." If it's not Disney quality, they're going to leave saying, "It's okay, but Illuminations/Fantasmic/etc is way better. You don't have to stay."

Which one? The Christmas one is really, really good. The other one is really, really not.

But even then, those aren't nighttime spectaculars. They're like the appetizers Disney plays before their nighttime shows.

The new one that's just started playing.

I was looking at those. I think they might be CNCd high density urethane foam.

They're definitely CNC'd. I've been looking at buying a laser engraver for the shop so I've been taking an extra interest in these kind of things. It's a fascinating bit of kit with so much potential.