Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

The non-Holiday version is the most "meh" projection show in Orlando imo. Even the Tree of Life show, while small in scale, doesn't pretend to be something it's not and it also has it's cute little moments.

Yea. It's clearly, IMO, more of a proof of concept than a fully fleshed out experience. I think it's fine, but the Christmas show absolutely blows it out of the water.

Yea. It's clearly, IMO, more of a proof of concept than a fully fleshed out experience. I think it's fine, but the Christmas show absolutely blows it out of the water.
The issue is they can never really do full on fireworks there due to the location, which is what a show really needs to be spectacular and a "Must See" at IOA.

I don’t understand why they don’t just pack up shop on the USF lagoon show and do one at IOA. The park can host a much better production due to the not so weird shape of the lagoon. They’d also have tons of viewing space.

USF needs a night parade. It has one of the longest, if not the longest, theme park parade routes there is.

It’s just so hard to make a good show in the Studios oddly shaped lagoon.

People are easy to impress. Lotso fire and an embarrassing amount of lasers. Done.
A show can build a reputation though. It can either build a reputation as being forgettable or build a reputation like Illuminations where it's always packed at the end of the night no matter what. The show has been around for 18+ years... by now, people have grown up with the show and either will skip it or stick around because they know they need to camp out if they want a good spot. If people are camping out for a spot for your show, you know you have something good.

With Universal, they've never had that. Hell, most people didn't even know CineSpec was happening on the days it performed. It just never drew a crowd.

A show can build a reputation though. It can either build a reputation as being forgettable or build a reputation like Illuminations where it's always packed at the end of the night no matter what. The show has been around for 18+ years... by now, people have grown up with the show and either will skip it or stick around because they know they need to camp out if they want a good spot. If people are camping out for a spot for your show, you know you have something good.

With Universal, they've never had that. Hell, most people didn't even know CineSpec was happening on the days it performed. It just never drew a crowd.
I've always felt that Universal was limited by their lagoons. Neither USF or IoA have a lagoon big enough for a fantastic show.

I've always felt that Universal was limited by their lagoons. Neither USF or IoA have a lagoon big enough for a fantastic show.

I don't really agree with that. They just don't use the lagoon well. They should build a dedicated viewing area on the Central Park/Simpsons side, that way they don't have to make a show that's viewable from all angles.

If these letters come up for sale in the prop shop, I'd be very interested in purchasing the S and the L.

I'll keep an I out for you.

USF needs a night parade. It has one of the longest, if not the longest, theme park parade routes there is.

Thanks for reminding me how much I miss Spectro Magic, and how much I wish they shipped Paint the Night out here.

I'm kind of burnt out on night shows on the whole right now. But would love to see nighttime parades come back.

I'm a diehard Universal fan, but I walked out of their night time show halfway through. I want them to step up their entire night time game.

I'll keep an I out for you.

Thanks for reminding me how much I miss Spectro Magic, and how much I wish they shipped Paint the Night out here.

I'm kind of burnt out on night shows on the whole right now. But would love to see nighttime parades come back.

Cheers, mate. It's appreciated! :cheers:

I'm a diehard Universal fan, but I walked out of their night time show halfway through. I want them to step up their entire night time game.
I enjoyed it the first time..Then it got old real quick haha..

I think the big issue is that they haven't broken the "clip show" model in the past two shows...I would like to see them use the lagoon more creatively...I think the Rivers of Light tech would be perfect for them

I enjoyed it the first time..Then it got old real quick haha..

I think the big issue is that they haven't broken the "clip show" model in the past two shows...I would like to see them use the lagoon more creatively...I think the Rivers of Light tech would be perfect for them

The clip show model is fine for USF. It makes he most sense. The issue is their shows just suck. World of Color v1 was a clipshow, and it ruled

The clip show model is fine for USF. It makes he most sense. The issue is their shows just suck. World of Color v1 was a clipshow, and it ruled
I think calling WoC a clip show is stretching the definition a bit...But I agree that it was a stellar presentation of content...Universal has a surprisingly vast library of films that could be presented in a more dynamic way

From the press release, it appears Universal is going to focus on properties available at the park though

The problem with the UO "clip shows" is that the show IS the clips. At WOC the show isn't just the clips, it's fountains, fire, lights all combined to make a spectacle. You're not just sitting there focusing just on the screens the whole time. The UO night shows have basically been watching movie clips with small fountains and fireworks accompanying them. Should be fountains, lights, fireworks and such accompanied by the clips instead.

The problem with the UO "clip shows" is that the show IS the clips. At WOC the show isn't just the clips, it's fountains, fire, lights all combined to make a spectacle. You're not just sitting there focusing just on the screens the whole time. The UO night shows have basically been watching movie clips with small fountains and fireworks accompanying them. Should be fountains, lights, fireworks and such accompanied by the clips instead.
Sure, I see WoC having a greater mix of different mediums as well...I think of the Mermaid scene for instance, there are a lot of things that are show specific and created just for WoC...Plus some of it was animated with paper...Again, I don't believe clip show is the best way to explain it, but it certainly uses movie clips as a jumping point then re-imagines those mediums to enhance the other elements that are going on...WoC works for many reasons (size, spectacle, etc)...

But you are absolutely right, the past two Universal shows have made the media the only focus and everything else a punctuation...Sort of like their attractions recently - hmmm...The win with Disney's shows are that all of the elements work together to create a presentation..Media is only one of those elements

Yeah, I'm dong a Dis trip right after SW opens, and am already not liking the fact that there is not likely to be a nighttime show. I was really hoping that when the electric parade went west, PtN was coming Wast, but no. They should follow DLR's lead and put a night parade in one of the non MK parks, but I guess they feel they don't need to.