Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show | Page 69 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The reason that we compare this to Disney is because that is what we must compare it to. We compare everything else about the competition and this is no different. 99.9% of the people who view this will compare it to Disney either out loud or in their heads.

That said, it will probably serve its purpose of getting people to stay later just like F&F gets more people to visit the park again to check it out.

Absolutely people will make comparisons. There are only so many night shows. That's understandable. The difference is if you have a "if it's not the best it sucks" mentality or not.

Judging a show 1. Before it opens and before really any real info about it is announced and 2. judging it solely based on scale compared to another show is where the problem lies. If all you're looking for about is "more stuff than world of color" or anything along those lines, you're probably never going to be happy with anything Universal ever does.

I think all we're saying here is just because a show isn't "biggest" or even the best show, doesn't mean it can't be a good show. I think they're right in trying to focus on making a good show than obsess over if it's bigger or better than another show out there. If it's good, it's good, regardless of scale.

The reason that we compare this to Disney is because that is what we must compare it to. We compare everything else about the competition and this is no different. 99.9% of the people who view this will compare it to Disney either out loud or in their heads.

That said, it will probably serve its purpose of getting people to stay later just like F&F gets more people to visit the park again to check it out.

I think we should also remember that probably 90+% of the visitors to Orlando don't visit Disneyland.
If you do feel the need to compare it probably would be more useful to compare what the visitor to Orlando might experience.
Since this appears to have a strong water base to the show I think Ignite at Sea World and Rivers of Light are other water based night shows in the Orlando market.

Reactions: Andysol
Comparisons are inevitable. Put a globe in your water show and you will be compared to Illuminations. Put fountains in your water show and you will be compared to WoC. But this should just be for generality so people have an idea of what kind of show it is.

All most people care about is whether it is a good show. If Universal builds a good show everything will be fine.

Last edited:
Size is one thing, viewing distance and quality is another.
I think Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees is the best theme park show in Orlando. It's live, it's done amazingly and it's up close and personal and imho beats every playback show at WDW. The Hunchback would be my second favourit show in Orlando but Disney killed that of years ago unfortunately.

I think Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees is the best theme park show in Orlando. It's live, it's done amazingly and it's up close and personal and imho beats every playback show at WDW. The Hunchback would be my second favourit show in Orlando but Disney killed that of years ago unfortunately.
The Hunchback show was soooooooooo good.

Reactions: MrPipps
I'm very curious to know how this show will be different in terms of actual material vs. CS. (I want a Fast Times segment set to Moving In Stereo, buuuut I'm not Mike Aiello.)

Wow, I didn’t think it was any where near as small as that. Hopefully it packs a punch.

I don't think this is strictly a water show, so hopefully the other elements elevate the show to being something unique and exciting. If it's just ends up being 120 fountains, some projection mapping, and low level pyro mixed in here and there I don't think anyone is going to be stunned.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
I don't think this is strictly a water show, so hopefully the other elements elevate the show to being something unique and exciting. If it's just ends up being 120 fountains, some projection mapping, and low level pyro mixed in here and there I don't think anyone is going to be stunned.

Fantasmic is just a bunch of characters running around on a fake mountain with some low level pyro and everyone loves that. As long as the show is well put together and good, I don't think it matters what elements we're talking about.

I don't care about the guests who have seen WOC, I care that Universal Creative have seen it and have a target and ambition to create something great.
I don't understand. Does number of fountains = quality?

To me this is like when video game fans complain something doesn't have the best graphics possible. I don't care what the poly count is as long as it's a great game. If this show turns out to be good or great, I don't really care how many fountains it has.

Like how nobody is bringing up Disney's ugly duckling...River of Lights.

I like RoL. So... :think:

If USF's show is on the same scale and enjoyment as RoL, it's a massive improvement, and good enough for me.

Let's all not forget that USF's nighttime experience has been a complete turd. This is going to be infinitely better than it was.

Maybe instead of comparing it to another night show in another park (one of which is 2,500 miles away), we compare it to the previous night show, and enjoy the massive upgrade?

Horror Make-up is my ride or die.

But you hit it. Quality matters. If it's good, and they prove they can make a good show... Then you do something more grand over in IOA or Park 3.

It's not the size of the fountain, it's how you use it.

Even with less fountains they can still make a better show than World of Color. WoC is a show that punches you in the face with scale as its main feature. Take away the amount of stuff and the show is kind of long and boring. It's the monster truck rally of night shows.

Rivers of Light largely gets negative reviews because Disney has everyone hooked on scale and "everything all at once" as an expectation. Even Disney can't compete against themselves anymore. It's just not feasible to do $200 million dollar nighttime shows.

Rivers of Light is good because it has tender and emotional moments in it and doesn't need to rip your face off. Hopefully Universal has learned something from THAT.