Next Ride To Go | Inside Universal Forums

Next Ride To Go

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 10, 2013
Avalon Park
Hey this thread about what you think will be the next ride to go AND projectING rides closing in the next few years HERE IS MY LIST:
2014:NOTHING :smiley:
2015:SHREK :smiley:
2016: DISASTER :smiley:
2017: KID-ZONE RIDES :happy:

Please Dudley. Or at least give it a GIANT refurbishment.

But it's obvious Dudley isn't going anywhere, so I would say Twister or Shrek.

Do you dislike the ride, or just the maintenance of the animatronics?

It's half done and extremely dirty. Facade is pretty, but the queue is horrible and so are the interior show scenes. The first show scene, however, I do like. The rest are bad.

But to look on the other side of it, my dad loves the ride and when I was expressing my feelings on it, he said he felt like it was supposed to feel janky and carny-like.

I hope Shrek goes now. I wouldn't miss it. It replaced Hitchcock one of the most well known directors of all time.

Twister needs the wind in your face effect again. Its not as great without it.

Disaster needs to stay. I want physical effects with actual fire and things in my face not 3D or another screen.

Do you dislike the ride, or just the maintenance of the animatronics?

Dudley is literally half-built - it was originally supposed to open summer 2000, but it was fast-tracked to give IOA one more opening day E-ticket. The original plans called for Splash Mountain-level theming/AAs. Dudley has so much potential that ends up being wasted

I would swear Dudley was behind walls when I first visited in Dec. 1999. Perhaps I merely had tunnel vision for my first glimpse of JP. Anyone recall visiting in late 99?

Scratch that sort of. I first visited IOA in early Sept. 99, yet because of commitments to others who were on the same trip yet traveling separately, my first visit was smashed short no more than 3 hours after my very first visit. (I was so pissed their old biddy relative up north had to die during my initial enchantment with IOA yet I never let on) I returned in December for four days, all IOA and Universal. So, perhaps I encountered Dudley walls then?

Last edited:
I would hate to see Dudley go, when in theory it could be brought up to par with splash mountain... It can still be upgraded to its original design, can't it?

Last edited:
Would love to see both Shrek and Twister go. Haven't done Shrek in years. Twister I like, but can't stand the LOOOOONG preshow...snoozeville. The only problem with Twister ever going though is that RRR butts up against it, so they'd either have to close RRR during construction or find a way to work around it.

I'd really hate to see Dudley go. It's one of my favorite attractions at IOA. That said I hope Twister and Shrek go. To be honest I'm surprised ET has been able to stick around. After BTTF and JAWS bit the dust I was certain ET would too.

Can we just blow up Fear Factor already? They kept it around for nearly, what, 9 years? Mind-boggling! I say they should have closed it at the same time JAWS did. In terms of "rides," I'd say Shrek or Twister.

I hope Dudley and ET stay around. They don't need to go; they only need a refurbishment!

Would love to see both Shrek and Twister go. Haven't done Shrek in years. Twister I like, but can't stand the LOOOOONG preshow...snoozeville. The only problem with Twister ever going though is that RRR butts up against it, so they'd either have to close RRR during construction or find a way to work around it.

The only moment of interaction Rockit has with Twister is the part where it goes through the Ghostbuster's facade... and that's a small section. I wouldn't say you have to close Rockit to work on whatever could replacing Twister. Now, if you're talking about a soundstage demolition like SS44 to Transformers, then that might be a different story...

Rides I want gone:

Universal
1.Twister. I still enjoy this attraction, but I always feel as though something else can suffice that space weather it be a show or something like that imagineering stuff at Epcot.
2. Kidzone. I'm not a child anymore, so to have an entire area in which I can't go to or enjoy due to age targeting, doesn't fit well with your casual man/woman teenage, young adult, older adult visitors. personally I'd like torn down for at least a family attraction in which everyone can enjoy. Again just my own personal thoughts.
3. Paint he Simpsons show building and I'd be okay with the ride staying.
4. Animal Actors - Never was a huge fan of Pets in theme parks unless that were one of/if not the main focuses.
5. Disaster - Probably my least favorite attraction due to all the work guests has to put in during the show. personally I want to go and enjoy an attraction. Not too picky about the guest interaction uit's cool, but it's much more repetitive of earthqauke which IMO was done better. Just personal.
6. Fear Factor - Obvious reasons.
7. Terminator 2 3D, not because I don't enjoy it, but it's irrelevant now.
8. Shrek - Need something simular to the Tree at Animal Kingdom. Even that was/is more enjoyable than Shrek.

1. I just want the wind in my face again.
2. Agreed. As long as ET stays. its a nice family attraction. but the two play areas are really kids only. the woody coaster is fun though. try it sometime.
3. I wish they just tore it down and started with an idea from scratch instead of forcing something in there.
4. You don't have to see it if you don't want to. Its a good show. Beetlejuice is the worst show there in my opinion.
5. You don't have to put in work if you don't want to. Guests have fun being part of something.
6. What's obvious? people volunteer for this even more than disaster. its even more fun to watch if you know someone competing.
7. Its definitely relevant. It helped launched his career and another movie is coming.
8. I'd love to see shrek go.

Not to pick on you ThatFloridaDude. But can people quit using "I an not a child anymore" as a reason to remove KidZone. Was KidZone built because you were a child at the time? I understand that you know the park was not built just for you, please do not read more into what I am saying. But I do agree that the area should be redone to be fun for all ages, for other reasons obviously.

Not to pick on you ThatFloridaDude. But can people quit using "I an not a child anymore" as a reason to remove KidZone. Was KidZone built because you were a child at the time? I understand that you know the park was not built just for you, please do not read more into what I am saying. But I do agree that the area should be redone to be fun for all ages, for other reasons obviously.

Exactly! That's like saying Disney should tear down Fantasyland since it mainly appeals to little kids. Marvel Superhero Island appeals mainly to adults if you think about it (Spidey is the only semi all-ages ride, Storm is kiddie, Doom and Hulk are thrill), most of USF targets adults aside from DM, Shrek, and T&H.

As long as there's a family ride or two (three if possible) along with the flat rides/kiddie attractions, I'm good with it :thumbs:

A trackless dark ride, a suspended dark ride (E.T.), and hopefully a POTC-style flume ride (USF needs a water-based ride of some sort) would be a nice array of family attractions while still leaving space for some shows, a play area (two is overkill) and a couple flat rides

I wish Twister would go, although for the life of me, I can't think of anything decent to replace it with in that small space, other than Sharknado! (Twister AND Jaws combined!)

Kidzone should definitely stay, because there is really nowhere else in the park for the little kids. It's a wonderful area, the ball factory is tons of fun, and it is not very busy. Maybe a new show to replace Barney is in order, but the parks needs something for small children (this, coming from a person who can't stand children).

Fear Factor-yeah, let's bring in a new show.

I love Disaster, and although I am not a fan of Animal Actors, it's nice to have a show like that in the park. Same with Shrek.

I wish Twister would go, although for the life of me, I can't think of anything decent to replace it with in that small space, other than Sharknado! (Twister AND Jaws combined!)

Kidzone should definitely stay, because there is really nowhere else in the park for the little kids. It's a wonderful area, the ball factory is tons of fun, and it is not very busy. Maybe a new show to replace Barney is in order, but the parks needs something for small children (this, coming from a person who can't stand children).

Fear Factor-yeah, let's bring in a new show.

I love Disaster, and although I am not a fan of Animal Actors, it's nice to have a show like that in the park. Same with Shrek.

Lol Sharknado I like that haha.

Pretty sure there was a filing recently for upgrades to Twister. I don't think it'll be leaving any time soon. The same applies to Disaster which is going under the knife for some extensive improvements.

I think Shrek's days are numbered, but it'll be around for the foreseeable future.

Pretty sure there was a filing recently for upgrades to Twister. I don't think it'll be leaving any time soon. The same applies to Disaster which is going under the knife for some extensive improvements.

I think Shrek's days are numbered, but it'll be around for the foreseeable future.

Twister, Terminator, and Disaster have the accursed blessing of being hard attractions to re-theme :lol: Shrek is definitely the attraction that should leave next! The only problem is that Comcast is probably looking for a cohesive theme for Production Central... maybe a Great Movie Ride-style attraction? (two or three stories like TF)

I don't see Shrek leaving any time soon, and I'm not sure why it always gets brought up besides the fact that the people who are predicting its demise simply don't like it and have no other reasoning besides their personal preference.

For one thing, Shrek is cheap to run. It requires minimal employees to operate at solid capacity. The mechanisms behind the moving seats and "4-D" effects are simplistic and cost-effective. I'd be willing to bet it's actually one of, if not the, cheapest attraction in the park.

Secondly, Shrek is still a marketable IP. Shrek actually takes up quite a bit of space on adverts for the park--this includes billboards, commercial time, and even the shopping bags within the park. When's the last time you saw a commercial for Universal that didn't start with Harry Potter and have a montage at the end that included Donkey popping out of the screen? When's the last time Shrek wasn't featured on a Universal billboard? Heck, he's usually front and center on in-park logos (stuff on shopping bags, cups, etc).

Furthermore, his store still hits solid numbers. "Sexy Bald Guy" shirts are a well-sold item in the park. Shrek is also one of the few PG-rated franchise presences in the park, meaning he's one of the few IPs little kids can associate with. Besides Despicable Me plush, Shrek dolls are the highest-selling plushes at Universal Studios. The Shrek demographic happens to bring in quite a bit of money, and it just so happens that in Universal's shift towards more family-based entertainment, Shrek is a huge asset.

Third, they just renovated the Shrek meet-n-greet. If Shrek truly were on the cutting board, they wouldn't have bothered to re-build Donkey's Photo Finish around the Transformers construction, they would've just left it alone.

Lastly, aside from these boards, Shrek is still massively popular. It isn't rare to see Shrek draw 30+ minute waits. What other 3-D show has comparable lines? And keep in mind that this is with 2 theatres running, meaning that Shrek has more capacity/efficiency than other comparable attractions. The meet and greet is rarely void of guests. Shrek is still hugely popular with tourists.

In the end, not liking something doesn't equate to it being on the cutting board. Shrek has an audience, and it's an audience that Universal wants to keep attracting. It's going to be there for a while, mark my words.