Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

I’ve only seen on YouTube so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but Rise has impressed me for its scale of storytelling. Just tremendous storytelling that is going to be very difficult to beat. If Mario Kart has “A LOT” more tech, then holy sh!t. That’s exciting

I’ve only seen on YouTube so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but Rise has impressed me for its scale of storytelling. Just tremendous storytelling that is going to be very difficult to beat. If Mario Kart has “A LOT” more tech, then holy sh!t. That’s exciting
MK isn't a story driven IP. So I wouldn't expect much story. And to be honest, I hope they don't try and force one on it.

But yeah, Lotso Tech should be a new MK character.

MK isn't a story driven IP. So I wouldn't expect much story. And to be honest, I hope they don't try and force one on it.

But yeah, Lotso Tech should be a new MK character.
Exactly, that’s pretty much what I expected. So I’m assuming Augmented Reality is still in the plans?

Mario has not been a series prodominently known in high storytelling. That should allow them to just embrace MK to go into technical accomplishments in the mixture of practical and digital media that we haven't seen.

Probably.
Just gonna so cool, I can’t even beleive it haha. Glad it still seems to be the plan however, I believe it was you who mentioned the technology just simply may not be ready yet but this is so exciting if still true.

Mario has not been a series prodominently known in high storytelling. That should allow them to just embrace MK to go into technical accomplishments in the mixture of practical and digital media that we haven't seen.
Ya that’s true. I was never expecting like really detailed storytelling regarding MK but I assumed something a tiny bit. Seems like the entire land is themed are you simply stepping inside the video game and that sounds just perfect in all honesty

Probably.
I thought AR was dropped from the Mario Kart plans? After all of the overreaction to 3D by Universal and the removal of it from Minion Mayhem and F&F I thought they decided people hated wearing glasses on rides? Also if people thought 3D glasses made them dizzy, just wait until they try AR glasses on a moving attraction. Was really hoping MK wouldn't use a tech gimmick like this.

I thought AR was dropped from the Mario Kart plans? After all of the overreaction to 3D by Universal and the removal of it from Minion Mayhem and F&F I thought they decided people hated wearing glasses on rides? Also if people thought 3D glasses made them dizzy, just wait until they try AR glasses on a moving attraction. Was really hoping MK wouldn't use a tech gimmick like this.
I there was ever AR it was never with glasses. That’d be astronomically expensive, and current models are pretty delicate.

I believe the idea was something similar to having the AR “glasses” be the window of the vehicle.

It wasn’t cut last I heard.
I there was ever AR it was never with glasses. That’d be astronomically expensive, and current models are pretty delicate.

I believe the idea was something similar to having the AR “glasses” be the window of the vehicle.
It is goggles.

It wasn’t cut last I heard.

It is goggles.
Are you serious??? Do you know if it’s Magic Leap, Microsoft, or custom?

This would be the first large scale use of the technology. It might get a lot of attention in all fields of engineering to see if it works as intended.

Last edited:
Is there any chance the AR component might be optional?

Or, put another way, is the ride going to be dependent on those elements, or will a guest still have a great time if he decides he doesn't want to wear them?
Heard it’s msinly to achieve the power up block and use of power ups, so if you’re fine missing out on that (and possibly not knowing why your car sped up with a mushroom or spun due to a banana) you’re fine. Alicia said it’ll still be awesome if you choose not to use the goggles! Super hyped for the AR!

It’s like VR, but more delicate. If they figure out how to efficiently use AR goggles, then the same idea could be used to make a VR coaster that actually has a high guest throughput.

Please don't give them ideas, we do NOT need more VR coasters!