Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Original Studio Tour King Kong - Holiday Edition!

Allen The Actor

Allen The Actor
Jan 10, 2013
Hill Valley, California
You guys, I've been looking for YEARS for a video of the hilariously weird and out of place holiday/Christmas overlay of the original King Kong on thestudio tour from like 2002,and some nice soul on YouTube finally found/posted a video of it! I've only ever seen pictures, never got to see it in person. The creepy Santa "ho ho ho"ing dubbed over Kong's usual growl is hilarious. Enjoy!This is an amazing find!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/RJtUDP2US1Q?feature=oembed

I wouldn't have minded seeing it every year. It's one of this hilariously stupid things that I can't look away from, it would be a tradition of seeing the ridiculous Kong every Christmas. Alas, we have Mr. "360" 3D now, where reanimating Kong with a Santa hat would cost more than a whole new animatronic probably :p haha.

Since we're on the topic, which Kong do you all prefer? The original King Kong or the new 360 3D Kong?

I remember seeing that one year and thinking King Kong was broken. Just didn't make sense, but like all of Universal, at least they tried. LOL.

But to answer your question Allen - I'm split.

While the original Kong was a classic and spurred the creation of Universal Studios Florida , it just won't draw the crowds that King Kong 360 did. In fact, 360 started a period of upward attendance at the parks, so it's a draw. You have nostalgia on one hand, and you have an advanced simulator on the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very split on it too. I love the nostalgia of the original, and I'm a sucker for practical effects, sets, and amazing animatronics. On the other hand, like you I'm happy 360 3D revitalized the park somewhat, and it definitely more of a fast paced, action packed segment compared to the original. My only issue with that is that the park is over saturated with 3D/projection rides/shows.

Ideally, (unrealistic with todays technology of course) I'd have the tram stop in a jungle setting and have us on a gimble, and have advanced animatronics on kuka arms "battling" it out in front of us.

I remember seeing this as a kid! I definitely appreciate and like the new Kong but old Kong was a classic. I love having something tangible in front of me. It's crazy to think but the fire might have been one of the best things to happen to USH.

Glad to finally get a chance to see this, I remember hearing radio ads that year about there being a "King Kong Christmas Surprise" at Universal and thought it sounded really strange. I actually really like this overlay.

I'm really curious to see Orlando's new Kong attraction. If rumors turn out to be facts, looking forward to seeing both screen and "real" life versions of him during my trip this September.

Last edited by a moderator: