Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Oscars 2019

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Posting this here, as it's a fascinating time.

It is seeming more and more that the Oscars, for the first time since 1989; will go hostless.

The original host for this years event, Kevin Hart, was taken off due to backlash from homophobic comments made in the past. And recently on GMA, he has confirmed that he will not have any intention of apologizing.

Since his departure, the thought has popped up more; in particular, using a collage of actors instead of one.

I thought it was interesting to see Ellen defending Kevin Hart and pushing for him to host again. I had heard they approached her to host and she really didn't want to do it. By all accounts it's a thankless job because no matter what you do people will complain about the job you did and it's a hell of a lot of work to prepare for it.

Probably for the best there’s no host anyway. It would be all political jokes (especially with how political some of this year’s films are) and it would cause an unnecessary stir an awards show for film. Maybe a return to the basics will freshen the show up a bit.

After watching the Golden Globes Sunday, it became clear to me that awards show hosting is a pretty pointless endeavor. The two hosts were Andy Samberg and Sandra Oh, but you wouldn't have really known that unless you follow the entertainment industry. The two of them gave an opening monologue and then just randomly appeared a couple of times. The same thing pretty much happened at the previous Emmys with Colin Jost and Michael Che.

Moving forward, I think no hosts for the Oscars (and all awards shows in general) is the way to go. After all, when's the last time an Oscars host got good reviews for their performance? Even a man like Neil Patrick Harris who was born to perform on stage struggled a bit in 2015. Open with a song and dance number that lampoons the movies/TV shows of the year like Billy Crystal previously did in 2012 at the Oscars or Fallon did at the 2017 Golden Globes. Then just move on to the presenters, who are more fun to watch anyway.