Pirates of the Caribbean Refurb | Inside Universal Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 31, 2013
Got a chance to ride it aft the refurb, they did a good job on some of the scenes, but they did not really fix the issue with the boats, unfortunately (we got pretty wet)

Got a chance to ride it aft the refurb, they did a good job on some of the scenes, but they did not really fix the issue with the boats, unfortunately (we got pretty wet)
From what i've heard the boats are still a work in progress. As for the actual ride though, everything looks great. Many animatronics are working that I don't know that i've ever actually seen work.

Supposedly all AA's were taken out and either refurbed or replaced.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I'm glad they did this refurb, but is there really a need to have it open when the boats are taking on so much water? It's the slow season and no one is expecting to get on Pirates and getting a Splash Mountain level of soak.

I'm glad they did this refurb, but is there really a need to have it open when the boats are taking on so much water? It's the slow season and no one is expecting to get on Pirates and getting a Splash Mountain level of soak.
I agree. Part of the problem is that they took off two months at the beginning of the refurb, which was acceptable because of summer crowds. However, i'm not sure why they didn't add those two months onto the backside of the refurb to allow more time to fix the boat issue. It's still fairly slow and MK has more than enough to make up for Pirates being down. They should've kept this down until November.

Reactions: Brian G.
they need to either fix the boats or officially have warning signs "you may/will get wet" throughout the line.

I actually got more wet on Pirates than splash mountain last time I visited. Which sucks when you have an expensive camera in your hands.

I agree. Part of the problem is that they took off two months at the beginning of the refurb, which was acceptable because of summer crowds. However, i'm not sure why they didn't add those two months onto the backside of the refurb to allow more time to fix the boat issue. It's still fairly slow and MK has more than enough to make up for Pirates being down. They should've kept this down until November.

Is there even a sign at the front with the "You May Get Wet!" schtick?

no, no mention at all that I saw. I'm actually really surprised by this. It's like Disney not admitting there is a problem. It would be such a quick and easy thing to do too.

it also sucks getting wet, because it happens right away, and the rest of the ride you're in a cold and dark show building, unlike Splash where you can immediately grab a towel or dry out in the sun.

No, because you aren't supposed to get wet on the ride. You didn't for about 40 years at MK and still to the day don't at DL, even with their new fleet of boats.

The only new solution is new boats, imo. Apparently it's gotten so bad that cast are being told to balance out weight within the boats as they board.

Reactions: LiamRowbotham
No, you aren't supposed to get wet on the ride. You didn't for about 40 years at MK and still to the day don't at DL, even with their new fleet of boats.

The only new solution is new boats, imo. Apparently it's gotten so bad that cast are being told to balance out weight within the boats as they board.

Well I knew that :lol:

I meant was a new sign placed since the recent issues arose.

Well I knew that :lol:

I meant was a new sign placed since the recent issues arose.
I wasn't questioning your knowledge :lol:

My point was, no, no signs are in place because they keep working trying to fix it and there's just no solution to be found. It's not supposed to be a damn water ride, it shouldn't have to have that sign. The fact that they couldn't fix the issue in a four-month closure means it's a pretty big issue and not easily solved.

New boats are in order as these new ones have been a fail from the start.

Reactions: Brian G.
I knew there was a "problem" when I boarded the boat and all the seats were already wet. Why they aren't telling the public is beyond confusing to me. It would take less then 24 hours to get a sign put up around the ride. The first step is admitting you have a problem...everyone knows that.

I knew there was a "problem" when I boarded the boat and all the seats were already wet. Why they aren't telling the public is beyond confusing to me. It would take less then 24 hours to get a sign put up around the ride. The first step is admitting you have a problem...everyone knows that.
I agree a sign would be nice... then at least when people complain to the CMs who have no control over the situation, they can say "The sign at the entrance states You may get wet".

And when did this issue begin and why did it begin?
They replaced the boats a few years ago with lighter, plastic boats. So since they are lighter, weight matters more. I've heard of instances where the boats were verging on literally taking on water.

Also, the boats don't work on the belt nearly as well as the prior boats.

They replaced the boats a few years ago with lighter, plastic boats. So since they are lighter, weight matters more. I've heard of instances where the boats were verging on literally taking on water.

Also, the boats don't work on the belt nearly as well as the prior boats.

Oh, is this that overweight Americans issue they were trying to solve years ago. Perhaps that was a fallacy?