Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pitch Perfect Musical?

Feb 2, 2013
Arizona.
Not entirely sure whether to post it as a new thread or on the SES thread, so for now in being safe; I'll just do it here.

It is being reported by Screamscape that a brand new Pitch Perfect musical show would be coming into the theme park next year.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_hollywood.htm

This isn't the first time we've heard about it here on USHForums, thanks to @ItsAtrap and @Ryanmentioning the possibility of this being developed.

Thoughts on the possibility of Pitch Perfect becoming a show here? If so, where do you think the show would be located? I'd think the Castle Theatre may be the best location for this; but I'm not entirely sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Animal Actors isn't going anywhere, for sure. I'm going to put this out there, and when I say this I want to make sure it's known that this is complete speculation, no insider info: could this finally be the thing that turns the Globe Theatre from an event space to a park space? Like Jon said, people like SES. The park needs more capacity. If you need more shows, well... everything is sacred.

I wouldn't be shocked if that is where the show is going. Or maybe they'll boot SES out of Castle Theatre, who knows?

In a strange way, I don't find It impossible for the Castle Theatre for several reasons.

We have some implying that we may see Jabbawockeez coming back (via themselves); so after HHN, they can keep the theatre dark as they work on the show. Combined with the fact that it does have quite a bit of work already done in essence (Effects, lighting, E.T.C.); it wouldn't be impossible to see them have this as a means to get something open by April, to keep the large amounts of people in the Upper Lot for a few more months.

While the guest satisfaction for the new SES has been great, Pitch Perfect would no doubt be much more popular. The films have pulled in a lot of money for Universal and are known around the world. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they made this switch.

Plus, you could constantly keep the Pitch Perfect show fresh by changing out the songs. And it seems like the perfect opportunity for the actors to ad-lib relevant pop culture jokes.

While the guest satisfaction for the new SES has been great, Pitch Perfect would no doubt be much more popular. The films have pulled in a lot of money for Universal and are known around the world. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they made this switch.

Plus, you could constantly keep the Pitch Perfect show fresh by changing out the songs. And it seems like the perfect opportunity for the actors to ad-lib relevant pop culture jokes.

This is the "Other" reason why I am a fan towards the concept of PP taking over Castle Theatre.

But if that's so, why didn't they do it already? Pitch Perfect 2 came out in 2015 and was a smash hit. In-between then and now, they redid SES. They actually poured money into SES, so why didn't they instead do it for Pitch Perfect? I'm not saying it's impossible, because it's not that totally could happen, I'm just introducing the idea of why it would likelier be somewhere else. 

I'm in favor of adding capacity, not keeping it stagnant. My best guess? I think that they are actually undecided right now. If the summer is just as crowded as they were worried it might be, it won't go into the Castle Theatre. If it isn't, then they will do the Castle Theater as a way to draw more crowds. The latter would be stunningly ironic since USH has been running from its past, and advertising a new show as their big 2017 attraction is regressing right back to it.

Then again, so is Walking Dead!

I heard that Special Effects was scheduled for only two years so that would be end of 2017. So while Screamscape may be a little off on the opening date it might be an accurate starting date for "Pitch" to start installation and then rehearsals. Perhaps the reason they didn't put it in sooner is due to the time it takes to develop and pitch and get approval. That can take a stupid amount of time. But then "Pitch" might not end up in Stage 56. Might this be for the lower lot? I'd love to see a show back in the Shrek theater.

I personally don't care for the idea of this coming to the park, but I would rather see the show inside Globe over Castle. 

Since it's been quite a few years since I've been inside the Globe theater, how would capacity compare between Globe and Castle? I seem to recall Globe being pretty crowded just with standing room during the Eyegore Awards at Horror Nights. 

That's a good question. Does the Globe Theatre have set seating at the current moment that can be used for guests? I've rarely been in there and I can't recall. If not, I would think that Universal would build some semi-permanent bench seating columns in the theater.

The Globe is an empty space - no seating at all, no stage. It is multi-use so seats can be brought in and that number would be different depending on the size of the "stage". Since there is no stage there (and no technical theater support) it seems unlikely that Universal would put in a continuous show like "Pitch". Of course they could change the venue to a semi-permanent theater with a lighting grid and wings and dressing rooms (there are none there now) and bench seats. I suspect they won't.

Are they going to pull a Castle Theater and build a proper roof over the existing structure?

I'm leaning towards Animal Actors TBH. A show like Pitch would probably not require any of the high-tech rigging or lighting that Castle has. A stage, some lights, a set and decent actors are all you really need for this property. 

I'm leaning towards Animal Actors TBH. A show like Pitch would probably not require any of the high-tech rigging or lighting that Castle has. A stage, some lights, a set and decent actors are all you really need for this property. 

i agree about Castle probably being overboard for what the show would demand. Honestly, I'm expecting a glorified street show.

I doubt a street show because of one reason,

you would of heard this much closer to when it could launch, just to opposed now.

Personally; I am still in the boat of Castle Theatre because of Capacity, technical work, and location. Capacity because that would be the best theatre to cram in seats for a show like that. Technical work due to of most of it being set up, thanks to shows like B&T and Jabbawockeez having it set up. And then the location is the best to where you can work on making the area fit better thematically to Springfield on one side and then the art deco aspect of Universal Plaza to the other.

I worded that poorly, not a literal street show, but I imagine the actual show to be a slightly bigger version of what a simple street show would be. I'm probably wrong, but that's what comes to mind when I think of this rumored project.

Take the dancing Fast and Furious crew people and put them inside on a stage with some lights. Well, maybe not that bad...hopefully not that bad. 

Orlando pretty much has a Pitch Perfect-esque street show as part of their recent trend of new street show offerings (i'm too lazy to pull up a video, even if one of my friends is in said street show). So a Pitch Perfect-esque street show is not out of the question here & lets face it... USH needs more entertainment in the park. BOTH seated theatre shows & outdoor street shows (and more characters dammit!)..

Something no one has mentioned yet, BUT... Pitch Perfect 3 has been pushed back 5 months & will now be released December 2017. Soooooo.... yea.