Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Play! Pavilion

Well gang, it's been nearly a year since @Nick brought this thread up, I guess comedy comes in duos in this case.

Looks like they're...manually, cutting off access to the PLAY building?

That building needed more foliage if they are gonna have GotG open next Summer seeing as they tore out so many trees that were around 30 years old and backstage buildings are extremely visible due to the removal of those trees.

This project is just depressing though since it finally seemed like we were gonna get this building in daily use again and now we’re back to what seems to be just an abandoned building.

OMG what if they moved the entrance to the right of the planter?
Very possible, and definitely where they would put an entrance if this happens. However, my worry is that once GotG construction is done, they will close up that entrance area. That's how they are bringing materials in and out for the Cosmic Rewind project. It's been the main construction road for the project.

From my eye, I see nothing that signifies they are currently working on PLAY! as it currently was originally intended. There's no ign of any work outside, and nothing going on inside either (if there was, we'd see more equipment around the building or potentially loading things into the building).

I’m assuming Play is delayed because it’s an indoor play area during the pandemic - and they assume that Guardians will have large lines for a while. By delaying Play, it can help with traffic flow in the area. However, this is Disney. What may have started with good intentions may cause the building to inevitability sit empty.

You would assume Disney wanted play! to open along with Guardians to give kids something to do in that area. The pandemic is becoming something we will have to learn live with.

Last edited:
Very possible, and definitely where they would put an entrance if this happens. However, my worry is that once GotG construction is done, they will close up that entrance area. That's how they are bringing materials in and out for the Cosmic Rewind project. It's been the main construction road for the project.

From my eye, I see nothing that signifies they are currently working on PLAY! as it currently was originally intended. There's no ign of any work outside, and nothing going on inside either (if there was, we'd see more equipment around the building or potentially loading things into the building).
That's a shame

I almost wish they would have kept the Communicore structure, updated it, and put PLAY in there

To me it seemed like a modern day Innoventions with Disney Characters

buuuut here's hoping we see something happen with WoL

I still think Play is happening as I had a friend in WDI who was on the project and he was brought back from the layaways.

Yeah, like I mentioned above, a lot of the tech/mini-attraction work has already been done. I'd think they wouldn't want to waste that R&D if they can help it.

This was posted on WDWMagic a month ago. If what this image is showing is accurate, PLAY! is safe as it looks like they were testing the screens at night. With all of this happening inside of that enclosed building, it could literally open whenever, but I expect it to be next year (although it could be October 1, 2022 for the 40th).

Play!2022.jpeg

This was posted on WDWMagic a month ago. If what this image is showing is accurate, PLAY! is safe as it looks like they were testing the screens at night. With all of this happening inside of that enclosed building, it could literally open whenever, but I expect it to be next year (although it could be October 1, 2022 for the 40th).

View attachment 15992
I am so sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but zooming into the doors on a better camera at night, they just painted the glass with blue paint and the white light from inside is shining through. That is not blue scenery inside the building you are seeing, it's light shining through blue paint brushstrokes on the windows.

I am so sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but zooming into the doors on a better camera at night, they just painted the glass with blue paint and the white light from inside is shining through. That is not blue scenery inside the building you are seeing, it's light shining through blue paint brushstrokes on the windows.
Ah. Oh well. I wasn't looking forward to this, but it's better than the building sitting idle.

They fully developed and tested the mini attraction for this experience. It'd be crazy to me if they threw away all that work, but I guess stupider things have happened.

I will be honest and say I won't be surprised if this happens eventually, but no imagineer has even brought it up in forever (although it remains at The Epcot Experience). They absolutely need to address this at D23. Either it's not happening because they decided to build something better or "PLAY! is on track for a 2023 opening".

Anything besides that basically means that the building is going to continue to sit idle with no proper theme park use.

Also, with GOTG about to be a huge draw on that side of the park, Wonders of Life sitting idly nearby is even more noticeable than ever. PLAY would've been smart to open simultaneously as a nearby alternative while the bigger kids ride the coaster next door.