Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Play! Pavilion

Some rumors regarding the contents of this project:

BREAKING: What's Inside Epcot's Upcoming Play Pavilion? Animation Academy Drawing Class Returns, Zootopia Hotel Heist Attraction, and More! - WDW News Today

I had resolved to try to be positive about this "Play Pavilion" concept, but this sounds entirely underwhelming if it's an accurate reflection of what's coming. No "attractions" of note, and no connection to anything related to Epcot.

I don't imagine ever setting foot inside there (again, if the article paints an accurate picture).

Some rumors regarding the contents of this project:

BREAKING: What's Inside Epcot's Upcoming Play Pavilion? Animation Academy Drawing Class Returns, Zootopia Hotel Heist Attraction, and More! - WDW News Today

I had resolved to try to be positive about this "Play Pavilion" concept, but this sounds entirely underwhelming if it's an accurate reflection of what's coming. No "attractions" of note, and no connection to anything related to Epcot.

I don't imagine ever setting foot inside there (again, if the article paints an accurate picture).
The thing is though, Play Pavilion isn’t meant for you. That side of FW will be all thrill rides or rides with height requirements come 2021 with the opening of GotG.

Play Pavilion is essentially counter-programming, to put it in movie terms.

The thing is though, Play Pavilion isn’t meant for you. That side of FW will be all thrill rides or rides with height requirements come 2021 with the opening of GotG.

Play Pavilion is essentially counter-programming, to put it in movie terms.
There was a time that Disney was great at making family friendly fare that didn't alienate anyone over the age of 8.

I’m still not sure how to feel about this. It’s great that an unused pavilion is being opened to guests again, but it also seems like a glorified Chuck E Cheese. More accurately, it seems like Club Disney being plopped into what ought to be a world-class theme park in an effort to appeal to little kids. It’s also a little disheartening that Disney has started explicitly building attractions for small children after so many years of marketing their parks as a place where the entire family can participate in every experience.
That said, I do think this has the potential to be a good addition, provided the “future” aspect goes beyond the decorations on the walls. The concept art actually reminded me a bit of the original concepts for the park, with interactive elements based on an imaginary future city. But sadly that’s probably just wishful thinking in the era of meet & greets and “pReViEw CeNtErS”.

Per @Marni1971 from over on Magic:

"Temper your expectations. This will be a modest overlay of the current interior of the dome. Lots of cosmetic changes, but with the pathway and positioning layout of Wonders of Life - which will be fine for the target demographic.

Food and beverage will be a resurrected Pure and Simple. Three IP based “attractions” in the walk through / playground sense will be around the perimeter. There will be a simple stage show exhibit, reminiscent of the Goofy About Health / Anacomical Players set up.

The central area will be remodelled but remain the same rough layout.

Aside from a short switchback in and out of Frontiers of Medicine the Cranium and Simulator areas will not be utilised. And yes, I understand the ceiling windows will be covered for a projection effect on the interior dome."

"Temper your expectations. This will be a modest overlay of the current interior of the dome. Lots of cosmetic changes, but with the pathway and positioning layout of Wonders of Life - which will be fine for the target demographic.

Food and beverage will be a resurrected Pure and Simple. Three IP based “attractions” in the walk through / playground sense will be around the perimeter. There will be a simple stage show exhibit, reminiscent of the Goofy About Health / Anacomical Players set up.

Aside from a short switchback in and out of Frontiers of Medicine the Cranium and Simulator areas will not be utilised. And yes, I understand the ceiling windows will be covered for a projection effect on the interior dome."
That’s exactly what I expected. Glad the dome will get effects at least. And was hoping the little cafe would be a part of it.

Amazingly less than I thought and I was on the pessimistic side. Remember people saying there would be VR, rides, and even a peoplemover? Good times.

Remember people saying there would be VR, rides, and even a peoplemover? Good times.
I've never heard any of that besides maybe something about VR. As far as i've been following, Play has always been a glorified play area and on the day this was announced actually I remember Martin squashing the idea of any rides going in here, which is why i've never had any expectations for this at all. We're gonna get projections and character M&Gs.

This is basically just going to be a larger version of Character Spot if you think about it. Unfortunately.

I'm not even sure I think of it as a "play area". More like several meet and greets, a couple "hands-on" activities and a small "show".

The exit to Mission Space has a Play Area. The dumb Wreck it Ralph thing by Mouse Gear and Test Track is a Play Area... I'm not so sure this pavilion is going to house things to climb on or in, more like things to interact with.

But that's my take on it.

Wow, this is so not surprising. Cheap (for Disney standards) rather than doing what they really need to do.
I think what we have here is a place for grandma and the little ones to hang out INSIDE while the rest of their party rides the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster. It's not meant to be a headliner attraction, but it is useful for a certain demographic.

It's the same reason there happens to be a playground at the Mission Space exit, or racecars at the Test Track exit. These not only offer additional things to do after your ride, but they offer an alternative experience for those prone to motion sickness or too young to ride.

I get it, but it used to be Disney was about making attractions for the whole family. The famous story of Walt's vision for Disneyland was that he was sitting on a bench while his daughters rode rides, and he thought that his park should be things families could experience together. More and more Disney is segmented into stuff for 8 year old girls and stuff for (the Disney version of) thrill seekers.