Power Outage | Inside Universal Forums

Power Outage

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Andy

aka Hatetofly
Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2010
A transformer just blew at Universal Orlando. Initial report is half the Studios park is without power and ride evacs for ET and the Simpsons are underway. More as I find out.

We've had some info provided on Twitter. (Thanks to RebeccaPearson5)

• Team members said both parks affected started around 6.
  • Rides are back up & cash registrars working, just lights some areas.
  • It started over by MIB about 6:30 then progressed around to other areas

Transformer that blew was next to Diagon Alley

Sleeping+as+usual.png

Reactions: Manx27
Ironically, tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of the blackout that, though started in Ohio, reached out through the east coast.

I look forward to more info. Goodness knows what the protocol is for such an event... if they even have a protocol. Fascinating.

I would hope they have a worst case scenario and have protocols for the situation. I would hate to be on any of the rides when this happened.

Ironically, tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of the blackout that, though started in Ohio, reached out through the east coast.

I'm so thrilled that the blackout stopped right above Orlando. I was on vacation so the blackout didn't bother me at all, but all my friends/family back home were in the dark :lol:

Do the coasters have any safety protocols for something like this happening when a train is on the circuit and enters a brake run?

Now this is a scary thought.

Coaster brakes work in the opposite way of say the ones on your bicycle. The pressure, or in this case electricity, is used to open the brakes not close them. So when power is lost, all brakes revert to a closed position which would stop the car at the next brake run.

Coaster brakes work in the opposite way of say the ones on your bicycle. The pressure, or in this case electricity, is used to open the brakes not close them. So when power is lost, all brakes revert to a closed position which would stop the car at the next brake run.

Don't the breaks need to be open and then they close to stop the car? What happens if they are closed and train goes into a closed break? I'm not all that familiar With the inner workings of this stuff but and intrigued
After this happened today