Public money to build bridge for Universal guests | Inside Universal Forums

Public money to build bridge for Universal guests

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

bobwadd

V.I.P. Member
Feb 20, 2010
You never know
From the Orlando Sentinel

Public money to build bridge for Universal guests

Orlando plans to spend $9 million in taxpayer money for improvements around Universal Orlando, half of it for a pedestrian bridge that will be used almost exclusively by the theme park's guests.

City leaders say the flyover bridge is needed to keep pedestrians safe. But critics are crying foul, labeling the bridge a giveaway to Universal.

"If it's going to serve Universal, let Universal pick up the tab," said Lou Treadway, a member of the watchdog group CountyWatch and a former Orange County commissioner. "It's not an appropriate use of tax dollars — it's as simple as that."

The plan also includes stormwater improvements, landscaping and signs. The elevated walkway would carry people from a new Universal hotel across a busy road to other property owned by Universal.

It's the path guests at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, which is under construction, would take to walk straight to the gate for Universal's Islands of Adventure.

The city would own the bridge, and it would sit in city right-of-way. But in all other respects, it seems to be part of the hotel. Universal representatives asked for it and developed the project budget, the bridge's design and finishes will even match those at theme park, and Universal — not the city — is building it. Orlando will reimburse Universal for the construction costs.

"This is an entity that contributes an awful lot to the city and the state in sales tax dollars," Orlando Economic Development Director Brooke Bonnett said. "It's money, we believe, well spent."

The funds will come from a special taxing district around Universal Orlando called a Community Redevelopment Area. It was formed in 1995 for the sole purpose of building an interchange at Interstate 4 and Universal Boulevard to serve Universal. It still exists because the bonds issued to pay for that work won't be paid off until 2025.

Here's how it works: As the value of Universal-owned property has increased since the taxing district was formed, additional city and county property taxes generated by the greater value were earmarked to pay for the interchange.

But Universal has grown substantially since the taxing district was created in 1995, so the CRA collects about $8.5 million a year in property taxes now. The annual debt payment for the I-4 interchange is about $3 million, so the money left over — currently about $5.5 million a year — is returned to the city and county to spend on general government services such as paving roads, fighting crime and putting out fires.

Last week, however, the City Council amended the CRA to add the $9 million in improvements for the theme park. That will increase the CRA's annual debt payment by about $1 million — money that could otherwise be spent on other city and county services.

Orlando is adding the extra debt even though City Hall must pull a projected $29.5 million from reserves to balance this year's budget.

Universal asked the city for help even as its own business is booming.

The resort's parent company, Comcast Corp., revealed Wednesday that Universal Parks & Resorts generated just less than $1 billion in operating cash flow in 2012, an increase of 9.9 percent from the year before. Universal Orlando is Comcast's largest and most profitable park.

The Orlando resort has been on a record run since 2010, when it opened the enormously popular Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Even so, city officials say the improvements, including the $4.5 million pedestrian bridge, should go forward. Many I-4 commuters use the Universal exit as a shortcut to Turkey Lake Road and the Dr. Phillips area, Bonnett said, and the theme park's continued expansion creates a dangerous mix of automobiles and pedestrians.

"Will a majority of the pedestrians who are on the bridge be headed to Universal or a hotel? Absolutely," she said. "But what's important to remember is the benefit to the folks in the car who will no longer have to meander around those pedestrians."

Universal Orlando spokesman Tom Schroder agreed and pointed out that the company pumps a lot of tax money into local coffers.

The CRA "is designed to bring economic growth to our community, and our new hotel will bring exponential return on this investment in the form of additional taxes and overall economic contribution," he said.

State law allows cities and counties to create a CRA only to improve an area with "slum or blighted conditions." In the case of the Universal CRA, Orlando officials say the need for transportation improvements created the blight.

Last week, the Orlando Sentinel reported that Universal Orlando and its hotel partners have claimed more than $8.1 million in state tax credits since 2000 for creating jobs in an "urban high-crime area." A former lawmaker who helped develop the tax-credit program criticized Universal, saying it was meant to revive struggling neighborhoods, not a theme park bordering the affluent Dr. Phillips area.

As for the pedestrian bridge, Universal will construct it as it is building the 1,800-room Cabana Bay Beach Resort expected to open in 2014. The bridge and other improvements still need final approval from city and county commissioners, which is expected to come in March or April.

Staff writer Jason Garcia contributed to this report. mschlueb@tribune.com or 407-420-5417.

Copyright © 2013, Orlando Sentinel

Reactions: Felipe
How are these pedestrian bridges financed in Vegas? Do the hotel operators fund their construction or does the city?

Thanks Bob... seems I was correct. Sounds like they are going to pound a new entrance into IOA. This benefits the city with a gazillion employees paying sales tax. They should suck it up.

Thanks for the article, Bob! I'm torn on whether they should or shouldn't get the funding. While it makes sense that this would be available for everyone, not just resort guests, it's still primarily for UOR guests... It is a valid point that the CBBR and all of UOR will bring a lot of sales tax revenue, and this is justified like any other public urban development project. Still, Universal/Comcast is in a position to be able to pay for it, so... :shrug: Either way, I'll be ok with it.

Thanks Bob... seems I was correct. Sounds like they are going to pound a new entrance into IOA. This benefits the city with a gazillion employees paying sales tax. They should suck it up.

This is Orlando Sentinel speculating that the bridge would connect to IoA, but it sounds like just an assumption based on the fact that IoA is right across the street.

I think the bridge will connect the sidewalk outside the CBBR to the sidewalk on the other side of Hollywood Way, which already goes towards CityWalk, meets the PPR's walk-way, and then enters CityWalk from the side of Margaritaville. (Map)

They would still need to do more work, put a fence and vegetation to separate the sidewalk from the road, especially HERE (give it a second to load the street view).

So now what will they do if this doesn't pass?

Try again? Pay for it themselves? :shrug:

Last edited:
He focuses on theme park politics/business aspects. If you are referring to this pat of the article "Universal asked the city for help even as its own business is booming" ...well that's sort of his job. Why is Universal asking the city when business is booming (and we all know they can afford a measly $4.5M bridge)? I don't personally care, but these are questions to be asked.

He focuses on theme park politics/business aspects. If you are referring to this pat of the article "Universal asked the city for help even as its own business is booming" ...well that's sort of his job. Why is Universal asking the city when business is booming (and we all know they can afford a measly $4.5M bridge)? I don't personally care, but these are questions to be asked.

I was just making an observation. I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

And Universal is asking because this happens all the time and it involves a public road. Taxpayers will be funding the new DTD exit if/when that ever happens as well.

Universal should pay for it!!!!! The Universal Resort has made so much money in these passed couple of years that I'm sure they can fund this project. I swear, it just seems like if universal wont make loads of money off a project they're not interested. I know theyve got many projects going on but to me, Universal has always been cheap and stingy with there money.

I was just making an observation. I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

And Universal is asking because this happens all the time and it involves a public road. Taxpayers will be funding the new DTD exit if/when that ever happens as well.
Those are two entirely different things though. The exit to DTD would be off of an interstate, so that is much easier to justify than something on Universal property, and something they could easily fund themselves at that.

Those are two entirely different things though. The exit to DTD would be off of an interstate, so that is much easier to justify than something on Universal property, and something they could easily fund themselves at that.
But it does involve a city street. Yes, Universal could easily afford it. And Disney could easily afford the new DtD exit. But both involve public roadways.

The City AND Universal would both be held liable if someone is injured or killed crossing the street.

I think one important thing to look at is that this is coming out of the existing CRA that is funded almost solely by Universal's taxes. The growth since it was created has been much larger than anticipated, which is why the City has had an extra $5.5 million per year in taxes that it wasn't necessarily budgeting for. Since this is coming out of that fund - and the city will still be getting about $4.5 million extra per year - I don't think its as big of an issue. Should Universal be at least splitting the project costs? Probably, but this is what big businesses do. Right now Universal is kind of reminding me of Disney's tactics in the 90s.

I live in the city (well not really city living, but that is another story of how messed up City of Orlando borders are) and personally I don't care that the city is doing this. I like how people scream when tax dollars are being paid to help the parks. If the parks did not exist, do you think Orlando would be the city it is?!? Nope.... it is glorified swamp land. Would I have to pay state income taxes, yep. Would I have to pay city and or local taxes, yep. Would my property taxes be higher, yep. So honestly, if they want a bridge that will bring more tourists into their park (and Orlando) which spend more money and give our city and state more money, I say go for it.

I think locals sometimes forget about the benefits that tourism brings to this area. When I go to the parks I always try to help guests out and make their experience better. And later under my breath I thank them for paying my taxes :)

I too think this sounds okay. The funds are still available because the City has decided to stick to the debt schedule and pocket each year's surplus. That money should have always been viewed as surplus and not an expectation for the General Fund as Garcia makes it seem.

I too think this sounds okay. The funds are still available because the City has decided to stick to the debt schedule and pocket each year's surplus. That money should have always been viewed as surplus and not an expectation for the General Fund as Garcia makes it seem.

Totally agree.. The city could have used that surplus to pay off the debt well before 2025 but chose to put it in the general fund. The idea when the CRA was set up was to increase city revenue, which did happen because of Universal's growth. This is no different. Universal will grow because of the new Resort, and Orlando will reap increased revenue---good for both parties. If XYZ Corp. wanted to move to Orlando, and would bring 300 new jobs, but needed some infrastructure work to be in place, Orlando would, IMO, jump at the chance if they would see a net gain. In effect, all parties gain.

Reactions: Felipe
So much for the ski lift idea :lol:

That's still a possibility, though. The bridge would be for the "walkers," just like RPR and HRR have walking paths, but they also have boats and buses. The CBBR will probably also have buses, but whether there'll be that third method of transportation, and what it could be are still up in the air, and up for our discussion :thumbs: