Public money to build bridge for Universal guests | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Public money to build bridge for Universal guests

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That's still a possibility, though. The bridge would be for the "walkers," just like RPR and HRR have walking paths, but they also have boats and buses. The CBBR will probably also have buses, but whether there'll be that third method of transportation, and what it could be are still up in the air, and up for our discussion :thumbs:

I really had hoped Universal wouldn't turn into bus central like Disney has

I really had hoped Universal wouldn't turn into bus central like Disney has

I don't think that will ever be the case. Just think about it, have you ever noticed the resort buses? Most people don't even know that Universal has resort buses. They've done a great job of keeping the bus stations out of the way and not as in-your-face as Disney. If they do go with more buses for CBBR, that increase still won't be noticeable because of their bus system set up :thumbs:

I don't think that will ever be the case. Just think about it, have you ever noticed the resort buses? Most people don't even know that Universal has resort buses. They've done a great job of keeping the bus stations out of the way and not as in-your-face as Disney. If they do go with more buses for CBBR, that increase still won't be noticeable because of their bus system set up :thumbs:

:lol: I never knew they had resort buses at all. I have either walked or taken the boats overs

:lol: I never knew they had resort buses at all. I have either walked or taken the boats overs

Yeah, I basically didn't know until a couple of years ago, too :lol: I was staying on-site during a convention, and it was pouring rain, so the boats weren't running and they told our group to take the bus. Here's the bus station. And all their buses go to all the resorts before returning to the theme-park station, so you don't have to wait for one that goes to a specific resort :thumbs:

I see nothing wrong with it. Universal does a lot for the city of Orlando.

Coming from Cabana Bay, wouldn't this area over by IOA's entrance make much more sense for a new bus unload area? It looks like it has a gate that leads into a turnaround area, and then another gate behind the Hulk. This just seems like a much simpler area to unload CBBR guests into CityWalk rather than hauling them an extra mile over to the one close to USF's entrance.

I don't know how busy that backstage area is, but it would be perfect :thumbs:
Also would be great if they made the walkway from CBBR to CityWalk go through there as well.

As great as it is that the resort found a way to save millions of dollars, I don't find it that ethical that they asked the county to pick up the tab. At the end of the day, it's a business expansion to provide convenience to their guests and to keep cars/pedestrians safe on roads going through their resort. The county's already in debt, too. Universal is more than capable of paying for something on property if they so wish.

As great as it is that the resort found a way to save millions of dollars, I don't find it that ethical that they asked the county to pick up the tab. At the end of the day, it's a business expansion to provide convenience to their guests and to keep cars/pedestrians safe on roads going through their resort. The county's already in debt, too. Universal is more than capable of paying for something on property if they so wish.

First of all, the city is paying, not county. Second of all the county is in debt because of how our state changed things a couple years ago and lower property values. Not because of paying for projects like these. In fact projects like these tend to in the end make more money for a city or county in the long run.

If Universal had pushed for the debt on the interchange to be paid off early using the surpluses then the City would not have access to the surplus that Universal has consistently generated through this program. The City still remains well ahead on this deal which now includes the highway interchange and this bridge.

First of all, the city is paying, not county. Second of all the county is in debt because of how our state changed things a couple years ago and lower property values. Not because of paying for projects like these. In fact projects like these tend to in the end make more money for a city or county in the long run.

This project won't make the city any money. It's just a pedestrian bridge. It's actually disgusting that they even asked for government assistance especially when they've got money flowing right into their pockets. Stop defending their actions. I believe the government should stay out of businesses, especially ones that are making money.

This project won't make the city any money. It's just a pedestrian bridge. It's actually disgusting that they even asked for government assistance especially when they've got money flowing right into their pockets. Stop defending their actions. I believe the government should stay out of businesses, especially ones that are making money.

No, but Universal is making the city a lot of money.

Even though I think Universal should ultimately pay for this, from a business perspective I can understand why universal will have the city pay for it.

Just to play devil's advocate, how many of you would be crying fowl if it was Disney getting the funds for the bridge..?

Last edited:

Here's the catch: Universal is paying for it, by their tax dollars that are specifically earmarked to a very specific fund that has been generating surplus for the City for several years. This is coming out of money that should not be built into the City's budget considerations in the first place, really. And it will make the city money. Want to know how much extra room tax CBBR is going to be bringing in? A ton, and probably more than the bridge costs within 10 years, or just a little shorter than the expiration date of the CRA.

Just to play devil's advocate, how many of you would be crying fowl if it was Disney getting the funds for the bridge..?
Seeing as Walt Disney World is outside the City of Orlando and not collecting an additional tax, I'd definitely be crying fowl. And Disney has received public funds and is not above using the Reedy Creek Improvemt District to give themselves an advantage when seeking funds.

I still can't believe they sweet-talked Osceola (and Orange County for the I-4 interchange) into building and expanding the Osceola Parkway. That thing is still a massive money pit, though some of the newer commercial development has helped a bit.

No it won't make the city any more money except in additional taxes plus Universal has and will continue to create a huge winfall for the city.

A pedestrian bridge that will start and end on city property for public use and provide a safe means of getting across the street. Granted mostly universal hotel guest who pay a 12% hotel tax will use it .What do those guests get for that tax.How many times have you drove down that road swearing at and dodging some dumb ass trying to cross that road.I don't live there and I know I have more than once.

Govt. asst.??? sounds like sound business to me, supporting a hugh tax generating business for the city. Would you be all right with it if universal was going broke?

If the govt. stays out of business than that govt. will fail, it must regulate, oversee and promote/encourge any healthy tax generating business. Provide a good business enviroment by not becoming a burdon on said business so they can thrive and continue the tax generation. There by helping all those that live in the area with decent jobs and lower taxes for those same people.

Last edited:

Ah, alright. Mixed up city/county. Regardless, a governmental body shouldn't be paying for a business. I don't see the city or county necessarily making more money because they helped finance a pedestrian bridge. They would be making more money on taxes from the new resort, regardless of whether or not they threw public funds at a private organization's project.

If Universal had pushed for the debt on the interchange to be paid off early using the surpluses then the City would not have access to the surplus that Universal has consistently generated through this program. The City still remains well ahead on this deal which now includes the highway interchange and this bridge.

No, but Universal is making the city a lot of money.

Even though I think Universal should ultimately pay for this, from a business perspective I can understand why universal will have the city pay for it.

Of course it makes sense from a business perspective! Any way that you can get "free" money from the government is a great business venture. I don't think it's morally right, but that's just me. Especially when we all know that Universal is more than capable of financing a pedestrian bridge after all the profit they've made in the past few years.