Ready Player One: The Ride? | Inside Universal Forums

Ready Player One: The Ride?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 19, 2018
a patent caught my attention. indeed, seeing Rexy and Kong in the trailer of READY PLAYER ONE and to revive old franchises like BTTF, maybe Jaws, ... UNIVERSAL CAN BE FOUND THE SOLUTION. A KIND OF GREAT UNIVERSAL MOVIE RIDE version FUTURE Universal-AR-VR-patent.jpg Universal-AR-VR-patent.jpg universal-car-patent-4.jpg AugmentPatent2-825x523.jpg

a patent caught my attention. indeed, seeing Rexy and Kong in the trailer of READY PLAYER ONE and to revive old franchises like BTTF, maybe Jaws, ... UNIVERSAL CAN BE FOUND THE SOLUTION. A KIND OF GREAT UNIVERSAL MOVIE RIDE version FUTURE View attachment 6168 View attachment 6168 View attachment 6166 View attachment 6167

If i'm not mistaken, those are actually being used for Mario Kart if I'm not wrong. That said, Ready Player One would face a problem similar to what Who Framed Rodger Rabbit dealed with when they had their ride at both Disneyland Park in California, and Tokyo Disneyland.

The patents are for Mario Kart. Unless Ready Player One is an absolutely insane hit (doubtful), there are no plans at the moment for an attraction based on the film.

Reactions: Paulio
It's possible and the main reason that this could happen is Steven Spielberg but something like this, it's going to have to be very screen heavy and the new direction is taking, this just doesn't fit into their 10 year plan unless it becomes a huge monster hit which I doubt.

Reactions: Arno
I love READY PLAYER ONE the book, and I will be there day one to see the movie. But this design has the passengers wearing glasses so I've already lost interest.

Reactions: Coasted
More rides where we have to wear glasses? Pass. My excitement for MK will drop if that's the case.

How do you expect to create a fun exciting ride with item boxes, amazing background, and sets and the like, especially, when you actually have other players intimidating trying to throw items at you? It's glasses with AR technology combined with live-action practical sets, like you can see items within the glasses being thrown at someone.

Reactions: tankart150
Making a ride based on Ready Player One would make just as much sense as building an entire land for Avatar or a theme park ride based on Jimmy Fallon.

The biggest problem with Ready Player One (even if it's a huge commercial success that leads to sequels) is that you would need to get access to the various IPs that are referenced in it...

You'd need the go-ahead from each individual rights holder, unless you're just planning on using just the references from Universal and Warner's own rights...

Unless it's a massive success that leads to several movies that all make crazy money, it's probably not even worth considering.

A 3d type of ride, that's for sure, like Avatar, unless Universal decides how it wants to be implemented. It better be a ride consist of pratical effects

I'm sure in 10 years, we'll all be screaming for more 3D attractions by which time, Ready Player One will be irrelevant.

Reviews from the 2018 SXSW have come out and it seems that Ready Player One is well-received by critics and moviegoers alike. If RPO really woos critics and moviegoers when it hits movie theaters in two weeks, it wouldn't eliminate the possibility of ROP being a major theme park attraction at Universal theme parks. The fact Universal owns a minority stake in Amblin Partners means they could have access to many of the movies produced under Amblin. However, because it took place in a video game, it might be really hard to pull it off without making it into some kind of 3d movie theater attraction like Transformers or the upcoming Dreamworks Theatre.

The problem with the RPO is you would need a whole lotta licensing to make it work. It’s really just pandering to nostalgia and you need that to make it remotely work. Again, I just don’t see anything in the book lending itself to a ride. It’s just a kid doing random crap and then a big ending.

Reactions: Scott W.
The problem with the RPO is you would need a whole lotta licensing to make it work. It’s really just pandering to nostalgia and you need that to make it remotely work. Again, I just don’t see anything in the book lending itself to a ride. It’s just a kid doing random crap and then a big ending.

I can't see any kind of ride that wouldn't be screen heavy which Universal is obviously trying to avoid in the near future.