Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Relaxing Hotel at Universal Studios

Dec 14, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
We just returned from Disney World and stayed at Old Key West. Our favorite hotel is probably Wilderness Lodge due to its theme and it relaxing vibe.

For Universal, what would you consider to be the most relaxing and/or quiet hotel? I've not stayed there but I figured that Portofino Bay would be #1.

Also, how would you rate Sapphire Falls?

This is to help me plan a quick trip to UNI/IOA next year (preferably after the new HP coaster opens).

Portofino is the most relaxing and quiet. I've stayed at all except for Hard Rock. And, Portofino definitely has less families with young kids than any of the others.

Portofino is UOR's most relaxing resort.

Portofino is the most relaxing and quiet. I've stayed at all except for Hard Rock. And, Portofino definitely has less families with young kids than any of the others.

Portofino probably is the most relaxing. Royal Pacific can be, but Portofino leans more "adult" to avoid the kids/families.

So, a follow-up question. What hotels close to UOR are also nice? Probably in the $150-$200/night range.

So, a follow-up question. What hotels close to UOR are also nice? Probably in the $150-$200/night range.

I think my favorite in that area is the Hilton at OCCC, but I have no clue what the rates are like these days. Since CBBR opened, we’ve tended to stay on site (at any of the UoR hotels).

The double tree across the street can be convenient as well....I think I just try and stay in the Hilton family so I do not mind the Hampton on Kirkman either, but really the Hilton at the convention center is nice....I also like the Hilton in Bonnet Creek if I were to visit the Disney side of town.

Just staying on site at any Lowes/Universal hotel is relaxing. Traveling back and forth, even from a fairly close to property off site hotel, is a bit of a pain. After staying off site with my brother's last business trip in Orlando, I would never do that again.

I think my favorite in that area is the Hilton at OCCC, but I have no clue what the rates are like these days. Since CBBR opened, we’ve tended to stay on site (at any of the UoR hotels).

The double tree across the street can be convenient as well....I think I just try and stay in the Hilton family so I do not mind the Hampton on Kirkman either, but really the Hilton at the convention center is nice....I also like the Hilton in Bonnet Creek if I were to visit the Disney side of town.

I have tended to stay at Hilton's (specifically Hampton Inns) the most of any hotels. For work, I ended up at a lot of Marriotts, which are nice, but I don't usually pick those for personal trips. I will admit that I have been looking at the Royal Pacific. It looks beautiful.

Apparently, my "No FL in 2019" resolution only lasted until my toes got cold.

I have tended to stay at Hilton's (specifically Hampton Inns) the most of any hotels. For work, I ended up at a lot of Marriotts, which are nice, but I don't usually pick those for personal trips. I will admit that I have been looking at the Royal Pacific. It looks beautiful.

Apparently, my "No FL in 2019" resolution only lasted until my toes got cold.
We stayed at the downtown Marriott in September. The drive into Universal took forever and was super hectic due to downtown road construction and really bad traffic. The construction area around that Marriott looks like a war zone. I've also stayed with my brother at the Orlando Marriott Resort (he's a Platinum member, so he usually stays at Marriotts) in the past and it's a pain getting on and off the freeways there, but it is certainly a beautiful resort. Downtown Marriott (formerly Sheraton) has a pure business look and doesn't have a shuttle to any parks. I like the Royal Pacific. I've stayed there about 24 nights total. I'm already reserved there in May. They have good rates on their suites.....This will be my first stay at RP since they built Sapphire & Aventura. That will be cool since now we'll be close to the Strongwater Tavern & Bistro bar/restaurants. Close enough so it's like one big sprawling resort over there.

Last edited:
I’ve stayed off site exclusively until staying at Portofino last week, the difference is unreal. Portofino is the epitome of relaxation for a Universal trip for us. While my parents just purchased a house about half an hour away from Universal, I think we will still book onsite stays at least for a couple nights for the convenience and relaxing atmosphere.

I’ve stayed off site exclusively until staying at Portofino last week, the difference is unreal. Portofino is the epitome of relaxation for a Universal trip for us. While my parents just purchased a house about half an hour away from Universal, I think we will still book onsite stays at least for a couple nights for the convenience and relaxing atmosphere.
Glad you had a good time.