Rescue Rangers (2022) | Inside Universal Forums

Rescue Rangers (2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
In a fascinating word, it has been reported that Akiva Schaffer, one of the three original heads of The Lonely Island, that he'd be helming a hybrid film based on the characters from the Disney series: Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers.

While unclear on whether or not it's for Disney +, as David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman (producers from The Muppets and Beauty and The Beast) are on-board to produce the film.

I'm....intrigued, at the very least. Animation looks fairly budgeted, but it also doesn't look like it's holding back much in terms of comedy and satire. I'll probably check it out at some point.

No idea if I will like this but...seems interesting at least.

I would like this to get us a rebooted show as well, we don't need more then 10 episode seasons

i actually didn't watch the Rescue Rangers series, but I have to say that this has me very intrigued. It actually looks like it could be really good... or it could be Disney's Space Jam: A New Legacy.

SOLD LETS GO

When this was first announced, I honestly didn't really know what to think. But this trailer has me hooked, in ways that other films with a whole lotta' IP's failed to do so.

i actually didn't watch the Rescue Rangers series, but I have to say that this has me very intrigued. It actually looks like it could be really good... or it could be Disney's Space Jam: A New Legacy.

I totally get that, though I think I can pinpoint what makes this film look intriguing when Space Jam: A New Legacy looked bad from the get-go.
SJ:ANL (and you can lump Wreck-It Ralph 2 in there as well) were clearly "Hey, look at all the IP's we own, arn't we great?". Just on the surface mentioning and not really going anywhere with the references.

Rescue Rangers on the other hand, it feels like there's actual purpose for all of these characters being in the film. Going the Rodger-Rabbit route with the animated characters co-existing with Humans does wonders.

An looking at the synopsis on wiki...

"Thirty years after the end of Rescue Rangers, Chip and Dale are living a mediocre life, in a world where humans and cartoon characters live together. Meanwhile, traditionally animated characters are struggling to live, once remakes and reboots with realistic computer graphics become the new normal. Now, Chip and Dale must renew their partnership to save a friend from falling victim to video piracy."

A Rodger-Rabbit universe with them taking on CGI remakes/reboots. There's some really good potential here, and that's something that SJ: A New Legacy never had.

I still fear the worst and what I think to be very possible, which is this basically being Disney's Space Jam: A New Legacy.

Also... I like John Mulaney's comedy specials. I love it when he hosts SNL. But his humor isn't immediate belly laugh material. It's more long running joke type stuff that is going. His voice work here sounds almost exactly like it does as his character Andrew Glauberman from Big Mouth and it's really hard to separate that character who is *very* TV-MA from Chip.

I will say that for me personally, I think I should like this if it is executed correctly and not just made to feel like one big Disney advertisement. Hell, even if it is one big Disney advert, as long as it's a fun movie, i'm fine with it. Space Jam 2's problem was it was a REALLY BAD movie.

Reactions: Nico
Ok

this film is going to be fun....no clue if good but just a fun time

I can't believe Disney is making this..feels like Universal or WB making fun of Disney

This movie REALLY surpassed expectations. I was expecting something like another cringy syngergy-filled movie like Space Jam: A New Legacy, just with Disney characters. I was surprised how many non-Disney owned characters were referenced or even have speaking roles (due to parody law, I am guessing). Even the Disney characters in this movie are unique, not just there to be there.

The comedy is gold for a Disney movie and there’s so many different types of jokes that will absolutely fly right over kids heads. Taking out the Pixar movies, this might be the best Disney+ original movie that was actually made for the service from the start. The end credits are also pretty fun. Actually got a few chuckles from me.

I think it’s a great film as well. Even some of the cameos caught me off guard that I didn’t expect Disney to add in. I consider Chip & Dale the Roger Rabbit of 2020s.

Better than I expected. The plot about the illegal bootlegging of cartoons is original and unique, and a good deal of the jokes are surprisingly very funny and clever. Naturally, there is an endless amount of references and nods to other Disney and non-Disney properties, many of which are background gags (my favorites are Main Street USA and a freighter/boat shop named NINEMEN, a clear reference to Disney's legendary Nine Old Men. There are also many non-Disney references including Ugly Sonic, Rick and Morty, The Golden Compass, etc). All in all, I hesitate to call Chip N Dale a good film, however it is immensely entertaining while it's on. Fans of The Disney Afternoon or just Disney or toons in general should be pleased. 2.5 STARS

Reactions: SeventyOne
People seem to be liking this alot (im watching it tonight)

Why is this not in theaters? Even if limited not like anything else is out

There’s one character that got me wondering, but not sure if it’s a spoiler, but it’s only the polar bear that got me wondering.

Last edited: