Revenge of the Mummy Upgrades | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Upgrades

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 1, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ
Hmm, some picture at IAAPA got me interested...

IMG_1552.jpg

What could this mean, I wonder?

Do you think Mummy needs a refurb?

Or is this for the Dubai and Singapore attractions?

If our heads aren't spinning enough already with demolitions and rumors around USF... news came to me today that Mummy is installing new HD projectors as I write this. While it was slightly unclear to me, I believe the scarab beetle scene and perhaps the rotation projectors have already been replaced and look stunning. While it cannot be known for sure, I have been told the replacement projectors alone were installed at exceptional cost.

Someone hop on and let us know how it looks!

If our heads aren't spinning enough already with demolitions and rumors around USF... news came to me today that Mummy is installing new HD projectors as I write this. While it was slightly unclear to me, I believe the scarab beetle scene and perhaps the rotation projectors have already been replaced and look stunning. While it cannot be known for sure, I have been told the replacement projectors alone were installed at exceptional cost.

Someone hop on and let us know how it looks!

Probably a good idea, the current projectors looked pretty awful. I guess this puts to rest the thought that Mummy might have an untimely death due to a similar-styled ride going into the Jaws plot... right?

Probably a good idea, the current projectors looked pretty awful. I guess this puts to rest the thought that Mummy might have an untimely death due to a similar-styled ride going into the Jaws plot... right?

The ride system in Gringotts will do much, much more than the Mummy system. Mummy isn't in danger, IMO.

Rode it Saturday and noticed no difference. However the rotation scene did have some extra lights in it that kind of ruined it because it lit up the catwalks above.

Rode it Saturday and noticed no difference. However the rotation scene did have some extra lights in it that kind of ruined it because it lit up the catwalks above.

I've wondered for a long time whether the increased light was just me or an external factor... that's a real shame. Not only does it light up the catwalk, it makes the projection hard to discern and makes the fact you're surrounded by black fabric painfully obvious.

The way it was told to me is that they are currently (NOW) installing them, and that the first was installed last night, June 18, 2012.

While they're at it, they could completely redo some of that CGI (bleh), restore the opening day lighting to the Imhotep I scene, add the reaching Mummy limbs scene from Hollywood (in between Imhotep I & Treasure Room), and give us Singapore's ending... pretty please?

^ AAAAAHHHHH! I hadn't thought to ask about the CGI. I would assume that they would all have to be re-rendered in 4K otherwise there would be no point to the projectors. Perhaps that was the wild price tag quoted to me as the projectors themselves shouldn't cost anymore than $200K a pop. Let me find out that and also the projector manufacturer. Not sure what brand projectors are used on Spidey or Cinematic. Anyone know?