Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy (USH)

^I think it was money back then. They shoehorned a roller coaster in the existing building without any changes. Kinda sad. I've said for a while now that they should close it and make the building taller. Seems extremely doable.

^I think it was money back then. They shoehorned a roller coaster in the existing building without any changes. Kinda sad. I've said for a while now that they should close it and make the building taller. Seems extremely doable.
Hey everyone...long time lurker, first time poster!

I agree that money was a factor. First and foremost USH is a movie studio and, like Disneyland, had limit space to allocate for rides.

I also think they "showhorned" this in to have an "E-ticket" attraction to start competing with Disney, Six Flags and Knotts. Never having been to USO, I have no comparison and think this is great ride (could be longer).  It wouldn't suprise me f they are planning something major to upgrade this down the road, but until they get Minion Mayham and Simpsons "city" done (and Hogsmead well underway) they really can't afford to have one of their 4 main rides down. That's just standard operation for a theme park.

With their annual passholder base growing (many like us; abandoned Disneyland due to crazy price increases and zero crowd control in favor of USH), they need to have operating attractions.

The Mummy ride in Florida was lucky because it got shoved into a MASSIVE show building. I remember I read before that the Kongfrontation building was a massive construction marvel, one of the first of it's kind. Truly massive in comparison. Off topic, but Universal was ape sh#$ crazy to close down Kongfrontation. Yes, a ride like Mummy was needed, and unlike Hollywood, they could've easily built it from scratch elsewhere. Sadly they went the cheap route. Kongfrontation was a truly amazing dark ride from what it seems.

I think Disney and USH need more rides with an overhead ride system like ET, Peter Pan and the original Kong. It's so unique to be "flying" over sets and scenery and looking down! They need more of that...

The Mummy ride in Florida was lucky because it got shoved into a MASSIVE show building. I remember I read before that the Kongfrontation building was a massive construction marvel, one of the first of it's kind. Truly massive in comparison.
I've heard from some sites that both show buildings are about the same size which can't possibly be true. I've been to both, and the queue experience in Florida is enough for you to think that Hollywood definitely got the short (and smaller...?) end of the stick.

Just wanted to put that out there, since I thought it was common knowledge that Florida has the larger show building.

Off topic, but Universal was ape sh#$ crazy to close down Kongfrontation. Yes, a ride like Mummy was needed, and unlike Hollywood, they could've easily built it from scratch elsewhere. Sadly they went the cheap route. Kongfrontation was a truly amazing dark ride from what it seems.
Despite how much of a classic Kongfrontation was, it needed to go. Unlike Jaws, the entire ride experience felt pretty dated up until the very end. I wouldn't say it was necessarily the cheap route for Universal to take (since I do view Mummy as an improvement over its predecessor and they didn't 'cheapen' out on Florida's experience), but rather one that I can understand from the park's point of view. Every park needs to have an anchor attraction from its opening era, and for Florida, I've always felt that was Jaws.

Now that Jaws and Kong are out, I guess that anchor would be ET. Not necessarily what I had hoped, but I guess I shouldn't complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ yeah, the Mummy show building is massive in comparison to ours here in Hollywood.

And I agree, the Florida Mummy is definitely a great ride, but why I think it's a shame, despite being dated, is that there's SPACE in USF where they could've built the Mummy ride from the ground up. Would've been more expensive but they could've, in my opinion, easily kept Kong and build Mummy elsewhere. Although I heard its' closure was also due to it being an expensive ride to maintain, which makes sense.

The original ending was really cool, the ride ended with you looking up at that cool scene of the eclipse happening and I always thought the lighting and "flames" looked great. It was more of an epic ending than "fog in the dark". If a company like Universal had to change the ending because of Hard drives I just think of it as being silly. Surely they can afford a really well built Hard drive. Advanced military vehicles (such as jets and drones) which are subjected to extreme turbulence still have their hard drives intact. 

^ I find the hard drive issue hard to believe up to this day. There's more to the story that we don't know, I can bet anything. 2004 didn't have SUCH ancient or crappy hard disc drives....it was probably hard drive plus projection issues or somethin faulty in the design.

Universal can EASILY and extremely inexpensively redo the old ending with more realistic fire effects, 4K HD projection on the mini dome, and keep it all on a SOLID STATE drive that costs less than $500....Universal can AND SHOULD update that ending... (and the whole ride while they're at it lol)

This is my first post and happy to join the forums :)  
I just wanted to say that when i went to USH last week, after the fog effects on the Revenge of the Mummy and it shows that ghost on the screen and after that flash happened, I got stuck in the ride for nearly 5 min but didn't say any thing about it to the USH members when you get off. Just felt like sharing that with everyone

I just wanted to say that when i went to USH last week, after the fog effects on the Revenge of the Mummy and it shows that ghost on the screen and after that flash happened, I got stuck in the ride for nearly 5 min but didn't say any thing about it to the USH members when you get off. Just felt like sharing that with everyone
Hello and welcome! We're glad to have you here! =)

Oh it's pretty common... I have been stuck in that ride in the middle part... at the end part before they switch you back... once you've been switched back but the fake wall doesn'tgo up... it's pretty common there

I didn't know it was an common area, when i got stuck i was making jokes since i was with my friends such as, this is my favorite part of the ride and they better let us go again

Does anyone else think that they need to get rid of the mummies that grab you, I will go on the most extreme rides but these guys always scare me and make me not want to ride for fear of encountering them later.

To me that is a yes and no
Yes because it can give people heart attacks and stuff like that  :unsure:  
​No because some people's reactions are absolutely priceless  :D

I vote for them to stay... I was an easily scared person... I think I still am. When I was a kid you could not make me ride Jurassic Park The Ride, and now I cannot watch horror movies but it's amazing how they show up and you know the big launch is coming. By the way has anyone else got stuck in the middle part where you are switch to go backwards?? that happened to me once...

That's happened to me too. The scarab beetle screens didn't work either. I honestly can't count how many times I've been stuck at the ending. Not only does it ruin the experience for the people that are stuck there, but also for the people behind you waiting to see the ending as well. To be honest, out of all the rides in the park, I kinda feel like the team members that work for the Mummy ride don't really care as much as those who work for Transformers or JP, so I've never complained or let them know we were stuck.

Funny you pointed that out, I agree. I love USH's cast members for the most part, but Mummy's cast members have always kinda seemed apathetic about being there....

Anyway, Mummy really needs that update. Florida just updated its Mummy projectors in the ride. I hope we get SOMETHIN soon

I know what you mean about those employees at mummy. There's only been three that i know of who were genuinely nice and helpful to me: an older latino guy with a cool mustache named Art, a younger black guy with lovely light brown eyes named Garland, and another young black guy whose name I don't know, but he always wears one of those faux Egyptian hats they used to sell and he's always smiling. Those three are wonderful.

I know what you mean about those employees at mummy. There's only been three that i know of who were genuinely nice and helpful to me: an older latino guy with a cool mustache named Art, a younger black guy with lovely light brown eyes named Garland, and another young black guy whose name I don't know, but he always wears one of those faux Egyptian hats they used to sell and he's always smiling. Those three are wonderful.
I know the last guy you're talking about! He's awesome, one time as I was getting in the ride vehicle I told him I liked his hat, and he just jumped with joy. But for the most part, the other employees in there just kinda seem like they wanna get outta there! At this point it's kind of a lost cause to hope for change in the attraction since it's been here for almost a decade and they still haven't done anything to change it (for the better). There's always room for hope, though.  ;)

It just has always annoyed me that in the Mummy, the cast members (most of them) don't put you into the experience. They just either stand around yawning as you get in the vehicle or giggle aroune. That's where Disney excelles, look at Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror. JP and transformers cast members are good at that tho