Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

RIP Gwazi (1999-2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they're waiting for Infinity Falls so they have a water ride open. Unfortunately the thorough rehab JTA needs won't increase attendance like some silly gimick like VR Kraken.
As far as Busch Gardens dark rides goes, DarKastle is a very enjoyable and original ride. I would love to see something similar in Tampa.

Hopefully they're waiting for Infinity Falls so they have a water ride open. Unfortunately the thorough rehab JTA needs won't increase attendance like some silly gimick like VR Kraken.
As far as Busch Gardens dark rides goes, DarKastle is a very enjoyable and original ride. I would love to see something similar in Tampa.
This came from an interview I got to do with Mark Rose through a special American Coaster Enthusiast's event..."Curse of DarKastle is like a poor man's version of Spiderman at Universal," he said. "I doubt you'd see anything like that in Tampa."

Take that for what it's worth

Also, I doubt the budget will be there for JTA

Not trying to be doomy and gloomy...

If Gwazi getting an RMC remake is the most likely possibility (like Twisted Timbers or Twisted Colossus), is it financially feasible for them to add some themeing to it so that it's not just a generic roller coaster?
Maybe build an artificial mountain that the coaster can go in and out of, and have the Gwazi half-lion half-tiger creature chase riders in and out of the mountain, kinda like Expedition Everest?
Or is that outside the park's budget?

I would doubt that they would have the funds to do something with the track, especially considering how costly RMCs can get.

I would assume, you would look to the station and queue for theming.

That said, welcome to IU!

Thanks man!
Yeah I figured BGT wouldn't be able to afford that. But strong theming in the queue line would be enough. It's just that an indoor coaster would be a much more attractive addition than a Sky Rocket II coaster, since a. it could be themed better, and b. it wouldn't have to shut down because of the weather.

Thanks man!
Yeah I figured BGT wouldn't be able to afford that. But strong theming in the queue line would be enough. It's just that an indoor coaster would be a much more attractive addition than a Sky Rocket II coaster, since a. it could be themed better, and b. it wouldn't have to shut down because of the weather.

To be fair, San Diego is getting a Sky Rocket this year, and the theming that has come to that for concept art looks nice.

It doesn't have to be a Tempesto.

To be fair, San Diego is getting a Sky Rocket this year, and the theming that has come to that for concept art looks nice.

It doesn't have to be a Tempesto.
It doesn't, but I'm really hardpressed to think of an animal or African theme that could be represented by a coaster that essentially acts like a boomerang.
An electric eel works perfect, but what land mammal could that fit?

I'm afraid you're jumping the gun on this whole RMC thing...
Yeah, I do keep seeing things about how the Florida climate has really ruined the wood on Gwazi and RMCing it actually isn't possible.
But they gotta build something bigger than a little Sky Rocket in Gwazi's large footprint. And I know they don't have the budget for theming that Disney and Universal do, but they have to spend money to make money, and immersive theming is what families are looking for in theme parks today. Cobra's Curse was a great step up in that respect, so I just hope that that continues so BGT can keep getting that family demographic.

Yeah, I do keep seeing things about how the Florida climate has really ruined the wood on Gwazi and RMCing it actually isn't possible.
But they gotta build something bigger than a little Sky Rocket in Gwazi's large footprint. And I know they don't have the budget for theming that Disney and Universal do, but they have to spend money to make money, and immersive theming is what families are looking for in theme parks today. Cobra's Curse was a great step up in that respect, so I just hope that that continues so BGT can keep getting that family demographic.
IF a redone Gwazi happens....again IF...I see them taking steps to enhance the immediate area nearby...Gwazi will probably reuse the same queue though with little bits of theming

Again, IF

We have 3 wooden coasters already in the area that seem to do just fine. Of course you have to spend money on the upkeep.....

We have 3 wooden coasters already in the area that seem to do just fine. Of course you have to spend money on the upkeep.....
But with Gwazi getting no maintenance the last 4 years, building a new all-steel RMC ground up would be the only option, and all-steel requires less maintenance.

IF a redone Gwazi happens....again IF...I see them taking steps to enhance the immediate area nearby...Gwazi will probably reuse the same queue though with little bits of theming

Again, IF
Fair enough.
Sure, I was probably going overboard with the artificial mountain idea, but seeing what they were able to afford with Cobra's Curse, it appears they have the ability to get some pretty impressive theming for their rides.

But with Gwazi getting no maintenance the last 4 years, building a new all-steel RMC ground up would be the only option, and all-steel requires less maintenance.
I dunno.. if they could take that piece of .... Mean Streak and save it.... I mean it was falling apart while it was open!

I dunno.. if they could take that piece of .... Mean Streak and save it.... I mean it was falling apart while it was open!
Yeah I read that Mean Streak caught fire once in one of its sections and they put it out. But it was still open and running, so it was receiving maintenance. And apparently when it closed in September 2016, they got to work on it and made an announcement only a few months later.
Gwazi has been sitting idle with NO maintenance for 4 years, getting rained on, sitting in hot humid air, etc.

Mean Streak developed a lot of issues though, including becoming virtually unridable as the wood shifted. That being said, you'd be suprised at how tough these wood coasters are. The one from Pensacola they shipped to Cypress Gardens was in good shape even after being left for 3 years. Some of the wood will obviously need replacing, but I'd be suprised if the majority of it is still useable.

Mean Streak developed a lot of issues though, including becoming virtually unridable as the wood shifted. That being said, you'd be suprised at how tough these wood coasters are. The one from Pensacola they shipped to Cypress Gardens was in good shape even after being left for 3 years. Some of the wood will obviously need replacing, but I'd be suprised if the majority of it is still useable.
Well if the wood on Gwazi is tougher than I think, then that's a good thing. It would cost the park much less money to reinforce the wood with steel, than to tear it all down and make it entirely steel. I'd be happy if it turned out that way.

But they gotta build something bigger than a little Sky Rocket in Gwazi's large footprint.
There is a permit for the demolition of Tanganyika Tidal Wave. Whatever is coming in 2019 will not be built in Gwazi's spot.
TTW Demo Permit.JPG

Of those 3 wooden coasters, 2 of them were built with steel supports (@ the Fun Spots). This is much cheaper and easier to maintain. It's also the reason that BGW's InvadR and Sesame Place's Oscar's Wacky Taxi wooden coasters were built with steel supports vs. wood. The other all wooden in FL is a Jr. wooden coaster at Legoland that is very small and easier to maintain compared to the massive structure of 2 huge GCI coasters that Gwazi is.

Status
Not open for further replies.