Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Probably won't be like that in a few months
Hopefully, because I actually have a lot of positive things to say about the show (criticism too, of course), it's just far too long of a wait for really almost any show, never mind what they are currently presenting.

The issue also lies in that the stadium only seats 5,000. So even if Pandora is packed, it won't be hard to fill RoL.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I'll start off by saying that my expectations were actually beat. That said, my expectations clearly were lowered from the information I had been hearing as my group was slightly let down.

I definitely enjoyed the show and although I said yesterday that the boats being autonomous is seemingly pointless, the choreography the boats go through throughout the show is incredibly impressive. The show, imo fits the park extremely well. It's a beautiful show visually, the music is Disney at its best and it's a technical marvel. Unlike many others, I actually do feel like the ending is a big enough moment as a finale. I don't need fireworks or anything, the ending fit the show perfectly.

However, the pacing feels off in the middle and there's no distinct story to take away from the show. There's an overarching theme of "nature", but no story. Also, the actors and boats feel pointless. Even my mother, who loves the parks, but isn't into the nitty gritty like us, made that be her first comment about the show.

As I said in a prior post, if it weren't necessary to wait so long for a good spot, then this would be a perfectly fine show. I personally think they should've made this show standing room only instead of stadium bleacher seating.

Overall, I feel like I definitely need to see the show a few more times as I liked quite a bit of it, but it still has many flaws. It's still a pretty good show to start out with and run for right now, but hopefully it sees improvement overtime or a completely new version of the show eventually.

It seems like the boats with the actors and the overall story are two of the biggest weak points. Thankfully those two things can be fixed at the same time by giving the actors a bigger role. Wasn't there an article or video released a LONG time ago talking about the role the actors are in and how they each took a side which is also why the stadium is in two sections. Wasn't one side going to be "Water" and the other side "Light" and when the two come together you get Rivers of Light? I thought I also remember reading that the actors were going to be in the seating area welcoming guests. I feel like they could do so much more by ditching the lotus barges being the preshow and instead use the boats and the actors to set the story for the show.

So is it fair to say the common consensus is "beautiful but overall lacking"?

I plan to check it out this week still - but bummer.....
Pretty much.

The good thing though is that the story is the weak point. Story can always be fixed. I personally almost expect to see IP added to this show after watching it. It is beautiful, but there's simply no sense of story. Or at least coherent story.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It's begging... literally begging for Brother Bear to show up.

EDIT- Actually... they could book end it with the transformation scenes, establishing a "look how great nature is" message, and create I far better show. I think that's what bothers me most. Yeah, it's "celebration" but there's no point.

Reactions: Nick and SeventyOne
It's begging... literally begging for Brother Bear to show up.

I'd have said Simba ... but yeah.

Also, I've heard the excuse it depends where you sit, but still, from at least a portion of the theater, the projections are poop. Fuzzy and undefined globs of light. I think that and the pacing will end up being non-fanbois' main complaints.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I'd have said Simba ... but yeah.

Also, I've heard the excuse it depends where you sit, but still, from at least a portion of the theater, the projections are poop. Fuzzy and undefined globs of light. I think that and the pacing will end up being non-fanbois' main complaints.
I definitely can see where you sit making a difference. The closer you are to the Bridge leading from Everest to Nemo is seemingly the better view (whether on FP or Stand-by side).

I personally didn't have a problem with the projection quality (maybe that's bc it was sooooo bad during JB: AwM tho...). World of Color is far better though.

Oh, and I was thinking something like Jungle Book would fit the show.

Reactions: SeventyOne
They could easily incorporate Lion King, Brother Bear, Pocahontas, Jungle Book (animated and/or live action), Brave, Moana... even older classics like White Fang, Swiss Family Robinson can be used (with the benefit of feeling original since most people won't know it).

They could easily incorporate Lion King, Brother Bear, Pocahontas, Jungle Book (animated and/or live action), Brave, Moana... even older classics like White Fang, Swiss Family Robinson can be used (with the benefit of feeling original since most people won't know it).

I could have sworn Dorry is in the show....

Reactions: Nick
Yes, I saw that on Magic....Bet they end up tweaking the show, seating etc.
Agreed.

As I said it was beautiful, but the story was incredibly lacking. While I don't know that we will get story changes this fast, it's incredibly apparent to me that this show is not "Done" yet.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I definitely can see where you sit making a difference. The closer you are to the Bridge leading from Everest to Nemo is seemingly the better view (whether on FP or Stand-by side).

I personally didn't have a problem with the projection quality (maybe that's bc it was sooooo bad during JB: AwM tho...). World of Color is far better though.

Oh, and I was thinking something like Jungle Book would fit the show.

Where you sit does make a big difference with the projections, and the "water screen" setup they decided to use is the issue (couldn't use the "normal" fan spray system for a couple reasons). If you get in the two sections on either side closest to the bridge between them, the projections are at least passable, sometimes good (it really seems to depend more on what they're projecting, as general shapes, like shadow figures and the abstract shapes are much more "defined" than actual detailed images). If you're on the outside edges, good luck deciphering the projections for the most part. Heck, even the float water screens aren't as defined as I was expecting, especially since they get so close to you. I expect that is more a result of them just being unable to fit a proper nozzle with enough flow on them between the other fountains being used at the same time, though. I would also expect that if it is a particularly windy night the projections will be even worse, as even Fant! gets really fuzzy when it gets windy.

As to them putting in IP...No, just no. I was so relieved to see it had remained IP-free after the delay and adjustments. I understand why some of you are suggesting IP, but I hope they look deeper than just plugging IP in to bandaid over story issues and keep IP out. Also, I thought I saw Dory as well on Friday night's showing, @testtrack321, but turns out it was just a general Blue Tang and a Clownfish on Saturday's viewing (Friday was from the upper outside edge of wristband side, I walked in without a wristband just after the show started, Saturday had a FP and got a seat in the first section to the center towards the front).

This seems like a show that grows on you, as I thought it was nice enough, but nothing special after Friday night, but after Saturday I liked it quite a bit more. That soundtrack is a must have, so I hope they release it on CD like they usually do with their nighttime shows. I probably won't make too much of an effort to see it again in the next few weeks unless I decide I need pictures just because I don't want to deal with the crowds and getting there super early to get a good spot, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it again. Of course, I also kind of liked Jungle Book for what it was, so I'm not too hard to please.

Pretty much.

The good thing though is that the story is the weak point. Story can always be fixed. I personally almost expect to see IP added to this show after watching it. It is beautiful, but there's simply no sense of story. Or at least coherent story.
The Tree of Life show is a good example of how to do something with no IPs but add story to it...Granted they do have one that is the Disney Medley, but for the most part it is driven by an original creation

It seems they were trying to go big and grand with the show and forgot to make it compelling

True, but we shall see how it does. So far, getting FP for it has proven tricky for many.
lol, I guess i've just been early then because I managed to get FP for it this past Sunday and have one scheduled for All three days of opening weekend :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0680.PNG
    IMG_0680.PNG
    248.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: Joel