Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

(Rumor) New Potter Attraction to Replace Fear Factor Live?

I hope we see some sort of movement by the fall on at least one of the following projects:

1. MOM
2. Shrek replacement
3. KidZone overhaul

If we don't... I will start to get concerned.
I could see the Shrek and KidZone replacements starting this year. Shrek replacement would be for 2020 and KidZone replacement for 2021.

If FFL doesn't close after Rock the Universe, then I fear the MoM has been moved to Site B.

I had heard that Potter would be part of the 3rd gate, a while back. But MoM not being next to the London waterfront makes no sense.

Unless it's the MoM in Paris.
fb-11.jpg

If FFL doesn't close after Rock the Universe, then I fear the MoM has been moved to Site B.

I had heard that Potter would be part of the 3rd gate, a while back. But MoM not being next to the London waterfront makes no sense.

fb-11.jpg

London's Ministry is a pretty iconic location from the movies, though. This Paris one... isn't (mostly by virtue of the fact that its movie hasn't come out yet, but still).

I think it would be a baffling move to build a Ministry attraction and it NOT be the one we know from the Potter series proper.

I wonder if Universal will try to wait until Fantastic Beasts 2 comes out later this year to make a decision?

I personally don’t think the first one did well enough to warrant an attraction. I don’t think it was all that interesting of a movie either.

London's Ministry is a pretty iconic location from the movies, though. This Paris one... isn't (mostly by virtue of the fact that its movie hasn't come out yet, but still).

I think it would be a baffling move to build a Ministry attraction and it NOT be the one we know from the Potter series proper.
I mean, it would be a letdown to Potter fans, but they're also trying to create fans of the FB franchise. I'm no fan of it, but I did see a lot dressed as characters from it at Celebration this year.

It's said that the ride is to be a shooter attraction from rumor, correct? If characters aren't going to be on the ride and we are going to just be battle dementors or something, it being the original MoM or the new one really makes little difference.

What does make a difference though is if they want to use someone like Newt or any of the characters for the ride or pre-show. There are only a select few that make sense to "host" a MoM attraction, an obvious being Potter (and we all know Radcliffe isn't doing it) or maybe Newt or young Dumbledore? The thing about the cast for FB is that they still haven't fulfilled any potential theme park requirements yet, which could potentially make using them appealing.

To me it would feel all wrong, though.

I mean, it would be a letdown to Potter fans, but they're also trying to create fans of the FB franchise.

WB certainly would be, but I don't know why Universal would particularly care about that at this point... unless WB/Rowling have so much control that they would be dictating to Universal what attractions should be built, rather than signing off on/consulting on ideas that originate with Universal.

I don't disagree with the rest of your points, though.

I'm completely making this up, but maybe they have a concept they really like with a substantial screen component, and they got scared by the screenz backlash to F&F and decided not to put it in USF?

I guess anything's possible, but we've been hearing for a year now that supposedly Universal's intention was to consciously move back towards more physical ride experiences after F&F opened. So theoretically any plans that may exist for MOM would already reflect that.

Theoretically.

I mean, it would be a letdown to Potter fans, but they're also trying to create fans of the FB franchise. I'm no fan of it, but I did see a lot dressed as characters from it at Celebration this year.

It's said that the ride is to be a shooter attraction from rumor, correct? If characters aren't going to be on the ride and we are going to just be battle dementors or something, it being the original MoM or the new one really makes little difference.

What does make a difference though is if they want to use someone like Newt or any of the characters for the ride or pre-show. There are only a select few that make sense to "host" a MoM attraction, an obvious being Potter (and we all know Radcliffe isn't doing it) or maybe Newt or young Dumbledore? The thing about the cast for FB is that they still haven't fulfilled any potential theme park requirements yet, which could potentially make using them appealing.

To me it would feel all wrong, though.

Your post had me go down a odd train of thought, not likely, but...

So FJ takes place before Gringotts, and if you flash forward some more to a MM ride, that gives you two options I think....
  • You could probably get Ron. He and Harry are both working at the Ministry a few years after DH2. You could explain it away as Ron trying to keep things under control himself and not wanting to run to Harry for help with whatever is going on. It's a lot easier to make him look like a young adult than a high schooler again.
  • If you really wanna get wild....Hermione is Minister of Magic 19 years later. There's all that controversy regarding the casting in Cursed Child, but she did get nominated for a Tony. You could also go after the Potter from the play.
I know either one of these breaks the trend of staying totally true to the movies...but it could broaden the horizons a bit. Unlikely, for sure, but fun to think about.

*Note: I haven't read much on Cursed Child. I'm seeing it this fall and trying to stay clean.

fb-11.jpg

Throwing it out there: Potter won’t be a part of Park 3, and I’m not super convinced MOM is ever gonna happen. But if it does it’ll happen in USF

I hope we see some sort of movement by the fall on at least one of the following projects:

1. MOM
2. Shrek replacement
3. KidZone overhaul

If we don't... I will start to get concerned.

I wouldn’t be holding my breath

I'm completely making this up, but maybe they have a concept they really like with a substantial screen component, and they got scared by the screenz backlash to F&F and decided not to put it in USF?
If they can replace Simpsons & Shrek with physical attractions, I’d be more than fine with MoM being screen-based. The longer those two hold on, the more USF will always be seen as top screen heavy, IMO.

Throwing it out there: Potter won’t be a part of Park 3, and I’m not super convinced MOM is ever gonna happen. But if it does it’ll happen in USF
Agreed.

to be truthful i wouldn't mind if universal studios become more of a show theme park where after hitting the other parks you could just go and relax.Make it all shows and interactive experiences.

to be truthful i wouldn't mind if universal studios become more of a show theme park where after hitting the other parks you could just go and relax.Make it all shows and interactive experiences.
We have that, it’s called Hollywood Studios:

Muppet-Vision
Indiana Jones
Disney Juinor Live
Little Mermaid
One Man’s Dream (or movie preview)
Beauty and the Beast
Frozen Sing Along
Jedi Training
Path of the Jedi
Launch Bay Theater
March of the First Order
A Galaxy Far, Far Away
Star Wars Galactic Spectacular
Disney Movie Magic
Fantasmic

We have that, it’s called Hollywood Studios:

Muppet-Vision
Indiana Jones
Disney Juinor Live
Little Mermaid
One Man’s Dream (or movie preview)
Beauty and the Beast
Frozen Sing Along
Jedi Training
Path of the Jedi
Launch Bay Theater
March of the First Order
A Galaxy Far, Far Away
Star Wars Galactic Spectacular
Disney Movie Magic
Fantasmic
It's weird, because Studios also has my favorite thrill ride in all of DW. Such a weird park right now.