Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

(Rumor) New Potter Attraction to Replace Fear Factor Live?

At this point they should really just call the parks "Universal's Harry Potter Resort...and some other IPs. too"

I know the Potter fandom is high on this board, but I really think they are over doing it a bit.
Eh... This argument has always bothered me.

Diagon has just as many attractions dedicated to it as NYC and Springfield (2 each). Adding MoM will match it to Production Central (at a colossal 3). On the Islands side (including Forbidden Forest and HE), it still has the same number of attractions as Marvel and Seuss at 4.

I get it. Harry Potter is in both parks. But both areas are wildly distinctive and it includes a globally unique transportation system between parks. Each independent land has an equivalent number of attractions as everywhere else in the park. Conversely, current speculation has Nintendo coming in with 3 attractions plus Zelda (for at least 4 in Studios). The speculated Christmas Island would have 3 to 4 attractions (plus show).

Comparing the number of attractions (ie - rides) in each land appropriate land is the only way to do it. When you do that, Harry Potter is so far from taking over the resort it's asinine that this "Just call it Harry Potter Orlando" is still a thing.

Diagon has just as many attractions dedicated to it as NYC and Springfield (2 each). Adding MoM will match it to Production Central (at a colossal 3). On the Islands side (including Forbidden Forest and HE), it still has the same number of attractions as Marvel and Seuss at 4.

I get it. Harry Potter is in both parks. But both areas are wildly distinctive and it includes a globally unique transportation system between parks. Each independent land has an equivalent number of attractions as everywhere else in the park. Conversely, current speculation has Nintendo coming in with 3 attractions plus Zelda (for at least 4 in Studios). The speculated Christmas Island would have 3 to 4 attractions (plus show).

Comparing the number of attractions (ie - rides) in each land appropriate land is the only way to do it. When you do that, Harry Potter is so far from taking over the resort it's asinine that this "Just call it Harry Potter Orlando" is still a thing.

the difference is those are typically flat rides, that don't take up much space, and are more small additions, VS entirely themed shopping and show buildings.
At least they aren't building another Fast and Furious ride I guess.

I completely agree with you. I think Universal is running into a couple problems that's forcing them to keep building Potter.

1) Star Wars. They need something to act as counter-programming to SWL. It doesn't have to match SWL, but it needs enough appeal to get people to keep an extra vacation day for Universal. Potter is the only thing they have that could possibly do that. Enter, Forbidden Forest coaster.

2) Nintendo. I think Universal thinks that Nintendo will have the hype of Star Wars or the original Potter. So, you need counter-programming for that. Not everybody can fit into Nintendo, so there has to be new attractions to draw them away from Nintendo. Enter, MoM ride.

I wouldn't be surprised if these new potter areas have been on the table long before SW;GE and Nintendo, just a matter of riding the hype of the existing attractions before pulling the trigger with the new stuff, due to D23 that trigger may just be being pulled quicker than they anticipated.

I get that people are thinking it's Potter overload but I think that FF and MoM will really round out the areas into fully fledged land, FF is a far better use of space than DC and it had to be potter as nothing else would have worked there.

Other theme park lands are as big in size just not themed to the same IP, but the IP has so much to us that's tailor made for themed entertainment they are on a real winner and I don't blame them at all. On top of that, It's guaranteed bank and a few years down the line when the parks are fully rounded out and we have the new site up and running it wont seem as much as it does now.

the difference is those are typically flat rides, that don't take up much space, and are more small additions, VS entirely themed shopping and show buildings.
At least they aren't building another Fast and Furious ride I guess.
Here's where we're moving from apples to apples and into apples and oranges comparisons though. No theme park, including Disney, had done anything as hyper-immersive as Hogsmeade was. To be disappointed that the rest of two parks built ten and twenty years before the new standard was set does a disservice to what came before them. True, the Studios could be "more immersive," but to get there would require a store in every storefront of NYC and Hollywood and San Fran. But there's nothing unique to that. Those are real places. There's no make believe there. Matching Islands to a Potter-immersion level would require closing down entire Islands for an extended period of time, just to add stores and prettier walls.

We have no reason to believe Nintendo won't match Potter's immersion level. We can suspect that the Lost Continent replacement will too. They're essentially able to go in and build from scratch in those.

And P4rk is probably going to break our brains.

There's backstage service roads between Diagon and FFL though, so that has to be taken into account.

Could that road be shifted between FFL and MIB or does it need to have access to the main walkway and not just backstage?

Is there not a door within Diagon that's been rumoured for years to be the entrance to an expansion?

I wouldn't be surprised if these new potter areas have been on the table long before SW;GE and Nintendo, just a matter of riding the hype of the existing attractions before pulling the trigger with the new stuff, due to D23 that trigger may just be being pulled quicker than they anticipated.

More or less. Dragons was rumored to close last year, and FFL has always been eyed for more Potter. Alan Gilmore has said time and time again that he wants to build Ministry of Magic. It was always "when not if". D23 just gave them a good excuse to get the ball rolling.

Nicely put,

More or less. Dragons was rumored to close last year, and FFL has always been eyed for more Potter. Alan Gilmore has said time and time again that he wants to build Ministry of Magic. It was always "when not if". D23 just gave them a good excuse to get the ball rolling.

t

Yep, that Gilmore interview was very telling, he didn't confirm anything but when I watched it I just knew we would get it

The problem with that expansion door is there is a fire lane right behind it. I'd guess it would get relocated to the other side of MoM so it would come into the park between MoM and MiB which would also make sense for creating a visual break between London and the Expo building as well.

The infamous "expansion door" is beneath the fake elevated train tracks there. I don't know how that'd work as an entrance for the ride...but who knows

this is what I would HOPE for the project to be.

Construction boundary would be red (also where the walls would be).
Extended London facade would be pink
Potential entry via Diagon Alley as a HUGE fireplace because that's the only entry that makes sense from DA.
Another entrance would be along the pink facade somewhere, although I'm not sure how you accommodate a large number of people either via toilet or telephone booth.
diagon overview.jpg

this is what I would HOPE for the project to be.

Construction boundary would be red (also where the walls would be).
Extended London facade would be pink
Potential entry via Diagon Alley as a HUGE fireplace because that's the only entry that makes sense from DA.
Another entrance would be along the pink facade somewhere, although I'm not sure how you accommodate a large number of people either via toilet or telephone booth.
View attachment 5472
Idk if that's possible. Some of that backstage area is probably necessary support areas for the park

So, if they do build what I assume would be an extension of London, what might they add to make it Harry Potter's London. The area used in the films was quite nondescript. Might they at least add a phone booth with an interior that goes up and down? Your thoughts?

The "expansion door" is just a service gate. There's an indenticle one in design under the light up facade at the deadend of the walkway by Magical Managerie. No one thinks that other one is an expansion pathway. It was just built as a way to get stuff into and out of the land easily.

I think it's more likely the suit of armor and blacksmith wall goes away and a walkway is built directly behind the Grimmauld facade over there. There's a hidden TM gate over there.

The only things backstage aside from electrical/mechanical bits that they can build around are the two trailers toward the back near the perimeter road. The biggest one is entertainment's base for Diagon and the little one in front of it is just a breakroom and could be moved if needed. It only has 2 single stall potties, tables, chairs, and some vending machines.

When they built the new training building behind Diagon toward costuming they put a TM bistro on the first floor. So aside from potties that little trailer can go.