Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023)

Interesting-- B&M shipping to SeaWorld Orlando. Most interesting is the code for the coaster type matches no existing B&M coaster...

SI8wc6t.png

SC - Sitting/Floorless Coaster
MC - Mega Coaster
LC - Flying Coaster
DM - Large Dive Machine
D6 - Smaller Model Dive Machine
IC - One of the first 26 Inverted Coasters
IC2 - Inverted Coaster 27 onwards
FI - Family Inverted Coaster
SU - Stand-up Coaster
WI - Wing Coaster

This is coded "SF-A"

I was wondering if this was still happening with all that's going on, and I guess the answer is yes.

Interesting-- B&M shipping to SeaWorld Orlando. Most interesting is the code for the coaster type matches no existing B&M coaster...

SI8wc6t.png

MC - Mega Coaster
LC - Flying Coaster
DM - Large Dive Machine
SU - Stand-up Coaster
WI - Wing Coaster

This is coded "SF-A"

I was wondering if this was still happening with all that's going on, and I guess the answer is yes.

I figured most of the upfront production costs have gone through, though I wonder how long this sits unassembled.

When I made the initial post about this on Reddit yesterday I made sure to include this disclaimer after several people were re-posting the news without any context:

... this new evidence that it could potentially be a surf coaster is NOT an indication that the project it still currently moving forward. As mentioned above, the shipment was received on March 23rd, and given the slow speed of cargo shipping, that means it was sent while things were still operating as normal, before the closures and furloughs.

SeaWorld has already stated in a letter to investors that all non-essential projects and capital expenditures have been deferred until further notice:

• Eliminated and / or deferred all non-essential operating expenditures at both park and corporate;
  • Eliminated substantially all advertising and marketing spend;
  • Substantially reduced or deferred all capital expenditures starting in March 2020 (other than minimal essential capital expenditures);
Their next earnings call is May 8th, so it'll be interesting to hear what other updates they share.

Additionally, all permit progress has come to a complete stop. The review process on the new permits filed on March 18th was completed almost a month ago, and SeaWorld has yet to file any revised plans to correct the deficiencies. Additionally, several other permits are in a "Waiting for payment" state, so my guess is they've furloughed the employees who were responsible for those tasks.

I'm definitely optimistic that this project will still happen eventually though - if the park has already received parts for the attraction they're likely too far into the process to cancel it altogether.

Last edited:
I’ll be honest, I’ve completely written this off in my mind so if it actually happens it will just be a pleasant surprise. Time to buy a drone and head to Taco Bell.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the first 26 inverted coasters and current ones? Or is that just a clerical thing?

Does anyone know what the difference is between the first 26 inverted coasters and current ones? Or is that just a clerical thing?

Just a clerical thing. Each new installation is represented by a letter, A-Z. Once they installed 26 inverted coasters they were out of alphabet letters, so they started using IC2 and started over at A.

Ahh yeah that makes perfect sense :doh: Thanks.

I could see where a surf coaster could be a wing with the seats mounted parallel to the track, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

SI8wc6t.png

MC - Mega Coaster
LC - Flying Coaster
DM - Large Dive Machine
SU - Stand-up Coaster
WI - Wing Coaster

This is coded "SF-A"

Hmmm, could this be that rumored "Surf Coaster" we heard about before?

An first of its kind B&M model could be cool

Have we ever actually established what a Surf Coaster is? The three main things that the name makes me think of are the standing surfing position, the lay flat surfing position, and water. Since I doubt SeaWorld would go for another lay flat coaster, and Stand-Up Coasters have notoriously bad reception, I wonder if this could be B&M's take on a water coaster of sorts. Then again, that would conflict with JtA, so I don't even know.

I think it’s one of two things:

Option 1) A modified stand-up, potentially with legs/waist harnesses instead of shoulder harness.

Option 2) An inverse flying coaster, where riders lay on their stomachs against the track (like you’re “body surfing”).

Both would be a truly unique coaster experience, in a similar concept-breaking mold as 4D coasters where at their creation. It would definitely throw SeaWorld into the top of the “have to experience“ coaster conversation, while the ride systems thematically make sense with any sort of Key West beach based ride.

I think it’s one of two things:

Option 1) A modified stand-up, potentially with legs/waist harnesses instead of shoulder harness.

Option 2) An inverse flying coaster, where riders lay on their stomachs against the track (like you’re “body surfing”).

Both would be a truly unique coaster experience, in a similar concept-breaking mold as 4D coasters where at their creation. It would definitely throw SeaWorld into the top of the “have to experience“ coaster conversation, while the ride systems thematically make sense with any sort of Key West beach based ride.

In my mind, I've always thought of the standing idea that you would be at a slight angle, not facing forward but kind of side on.

The lying down idea is interesting and probably the most unique idea. What if it was mixed with a wing coaster? Like a hybrid wing/flying coaster. I don't know if that would be too similar to Manta but it would certainly be different.

This seems...uncomfortable

I'm not really prepared to put a lot of effort into a drawing like this but I imagine it would probably feel similar to a flying coaster.

The surf board would need indents or cut outs to allow knees and elbows and some kind of cushioning.

If this is meant to be SeaWorld's new entrance, something like a corkscrew inside a wave would be quite the weenie and showpiece.

wave corkscrew mist.jpg

This picture obviously doesn't make any sense but you get the idea.

Last edited: