Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld fined $38,500 by OSHA

Details are a bit thin aren't they? It's quite poor reporting, really. The press release from OSHA must have had evidence to substantiate their claim it's an "unsafe" place to work, and if WESH are going to report the fine, they should at least report the details of what gave rise to the fine.

If the fine is because the trainers are in close quarters with the killer whales then they will just keep getting fined every year. That's what I got from the extremely short article.

Pretty ridiculous. Obviously it's going to be a bit unsafe... The trainers are working with the top predator of the ocean. The trainers do it for their love of the animals, they know the risks.

OK, see this is what gets me. OSHA is there to protect the worker, so that a company can't force someone to do something that is unsafe and also there so that companies spend an adequate amount of money on safety protocols. What I don't get is that no matter what Sea World does this is a dangerous job. BUT the trainers want to do this. I think if you ask the trainers themselves if they want to be in the water with the killer whales all of them would say yes. So I really think this is something where Sea World doing things like raised floors and stuff could prevent deaths, but to limit people from doing what they love to do is just insane. I think if the employee themselves wants to do something, they should be allowed to petition OSHA to be able to do something.

OK, see this is what gets me. OSHA is there to protect the worker, so that a company can't force someone to do something that is unsafe and also there so that companies spend an adequate amount of money on safety protocols. What I don't get is that no matter what Sea World does this is a dangerous job. BUT the trainers want to do this. I think if you ask the trainers themselves if they want to be in the water with the killer whales all of them would say yes. So I really think this is something where Sea World doing things like raised floors and stuff could prevent deaths, but to limit people from doing what they love to do is just insane. I think if the employee themselves wants to do something, they should be allowed to petition OSHA to be able to do something.

^^This.

Frankly, OSHA is no expert on whale and human interaction, and probably would have to call a SeaWorld employee if they wanted real expert "testimony" on the subject, which just shows how out of line and out of place they are in the matter. Working with wild animals is an inherently dangerous job. You don't build trust and relationship through a glass wall, there has to be more interaction. This interaction isn't just for entertainment, either.

Frankly, OSHA is no expert on whale and human interaction, and probably would have to call a SeaWorld employee if they wanted real expert "testimony" on the subject, which just shows how out of line and out of place they are in the matter. Working with wild animals is an inherently dangerous job. You don't build trust and relationship through a glass wall, there has to be more interaction. This interaction isn't just for entertainment, either.
This is what I don't get. SeaWorld is widely seen as an industry leader. So who is coming up with what is safe in a field pioneered and still lead by SeaWorld?