Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Entertainment Corporate News (Old Leadership Thread)

Antarctica is very popular with the toddlers.

I personally don't think it is the worst ride ever. But possibly the worst case of a wasted high tech ride system, but some would say the same about Gringott's. And TSL wins the award for wasted valuable real estate.

I do have to wonder where SeaWorld goes after this. The major problem is Blackstone sucked them dry and then sold their interest to a Chinese company with no money. Manby really didn't have a lot to work with except the hope of a massive increase in attendance.

Didn't happen. Unless someone with a lot of money and a commitment to saving the brand comes in a buys the place, I don't see SeaWorld being around much longer.
"Unless someone cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to change, it's not"

The problem with Antartica is not the budget. In fact to me that ride highlights exactly how to misuse funds in the worst possible way. There is no benefit to the trackless vehicles which surely weren't cheap. It's by far the worst theme park ride ever created and to me that's because it accomplishes so little with such a huge waste of money and technology.
It definitely did not look anything like the concept art. You are correct that the entire ride is done wrong, but surely lack of funds made it worse. Anyway, I like the icy cavern with the lights, that is done nice, but all the rest is beyond mediocre.

^ It's interesting, a lot of the things he says he contributed to are moves a lot of people in the industry would disagree with. He mentions things like VR experiences, Orca 360, etc. but in my estimation these were all a waste of time, resources, and energy.

IMO after the whole thing with Blackfish and PETA's drama queens. I feel that SeaWorld needs to start phasing out of SW Rescue. Why spend the money you don't have in the things you are getting criticized the most. I think they should change priorities and put park operations first and if there's any left, then it can go to Rescue, or you can just leave it all behind, take Shamu and drop her at the front doors of PETA's HQ with a sticky note that says "Here! now show me how much you TRULY care"

IMO after the whole thing with Blackfish and PETA's drama queens. I feel that SeaWorld needs to start phasing out of SW Rescue. Why spend the money you don't have in the things you are getting criticized the most. I think they should change priorities and put park operations first and if there's any left, then it can go to Rescue, or you can just leave it all behind, take Shamu and drop her at the front doors of PETA's HQ with a sticky note that says "Here! now show me how much you TRULY care"

SeaWorld should never have become a public company. It's too vulnerable and spends too much on conservation for it to be compatible with the stock exchange.

^RE Antarctica, enthusiasts slate it yet I'm not a massive fan but I think it's underrated due to the city it's located in. It's my family's favourite attraction in all of Orlando, don't ask me why but it's really not as bad as people say.

As for the whole SeaWorld closing nonsense, I'm pretty sure that I've said this before but it's important to remember that the park is still in the top 30 parks worldwide based on attendance. 99% of parks would kill to get the attendance that SWO gets.

Last edited:
SeaWorld should never have become a public company. It's too vulnerable and spends too much on conservation for it to be compatible with the stock exchange.

Going public was not a good move and just a cash grab by Blackstone.

As for the whole SeaWorld closing nonsense, I'm pretty sure that I've said this before but it's important to remember that the park is still in the top 30 parks worldwide based on attendance. 99% of parks would kill to get the attendance that SWO gets.

Ok I think I see where we're coming from now. Bankruptcy does not mean closing. It means they have to restructure debt or sell off assets. I don't see SeaWorld closing, I do see them going bankrupt. Attendance doesn't mean much when they have so much leveraged debt.

Antarctica is very popular with the toddlers.

I personally don't think it is the worst ride ever. But possibly the worst case of a wasted high tech ride system, but some would say the same about Gringott's. And TSL wins the award for wasted valuable real estate.

I do have to wonder where SeaWorld goes after this. The major problem is Blackstone sucked them dry and then sold their interest to a Chinese company with no money. Manby really didn't have a lot to work with except the hope of a massive increase in attendance.

Didn't happen. Unless someone with a lot of money and a commitment to saving the brand comes in a buys the place, I don't see SeaWorld being around much longer.

How much time/years do you give it? After looking at your crystal ball, which scenario do you see happening:

1. SeaWorld sells some of their parks and reinvests that money into their flagship parks.
2. They get bought out by Merlin or some other company and the parks get re-branded/upgraded.
3. Seaworld goes bankrupt and goes out of business.

How much time/years do you give it? After looking at your crystal ball, which scenario do you see happening:

1. SeaWorld sells some of their parks and reinvests that money into their flagship parks.
2. They get bought out by Merlin or some other company and the parks get re-branded/upgraded.
3. Seaworld goes bankrupt and goes out of business.
Option 4.

Ok I think I see where we're coming from now. Bankruptcy does not mean closing. It means they have to restructure debt or sell off assets. I don't see SeaWorld closing, I do see them going bankrupt. Attendance doesn't mean much when they have so much leveraged debt.

The Orlando Sentinel has a great profile of SeaWorld's Interim CEO, John Reilly. It's great to know his background and his commitment to the company. He started at Busch Gardens Williamsburg when he was 16, and at 49 he's the CEO of the company.

I know BGW under his leadership was a first rate park, and I know nothing but good things about him.

SeaWorld's interim CEO isn't your typical executive. Will it help the company rebound? - Orlando Sentinel
Please may he have the money he needs for this task. It will be huge.

The Orlando Sentinel has a great profile of SeaWorld's Interim CEO, John Reilly. It's great to know his background and his commitment to the company. He started at Busch Gardens Williamsburg when he was 16, and at 49 he's the CEO of the company.

I know BGW under his leadership was a first rate park, and I know nothing but good things about him.

SeaWorld's interim CEO isn't your typical executive. Will it help the company rebound? - Orlando Sentinel
This guy sounds like a great park...Clearly he is a fan of the parks as much as we are

Not to derail the conversation, but I love that sometimes you can find Micheal Aiello or Bill Davis strolling around Universal...The last time I saw Mr. Davis, he was in a swimsuit at Volcano Bay haha

Mark Rose (designer of Kumba, Montu, etc) used to stroll around the Busch parks, same with Scott Swenson

So, in short, I think this is good

The best GMs of parks/park managers are out in the parks as much as possible IMO, talking to guests and employees and really getting a sense of what they are thinking and feeling about the experience. They should also have that front line experience and understand the business from the bottom up.

With Reilly as CEO and Jim Dean running SWO, I think they are in really good hands as both leaders have done well with the Busch Gardens parks and know the business on all levels.