Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Entertainment Corporate News (Old Leadership Thread)

The Virginia and Texas parks had weather issues as well, though not the multi-day closure on Labor Day Weekend that the Florida parks had.

The Virginia and Texas parks had weather issues as well, though not the multi-day closure on Labor Day Weekend that the Florida parks had.
Unfortunately, during the last 4-5 years that's becoming the new normal for that entire swath of the country in late August/Sept./early October as long as those ocean waters keep heating up. Bad cycle we're in.

Suing a dude who left because you pissed him off is not really a good look regardless of who he works for now. I would rather them spend the money on improvements to the parks. I'm just not sure that the sea world chain actually values people since blackstone bailed on investing. Carl will do well at Herschend.

If these people leaving are what is creating a friendlier environment, new experiences, and an overall better guest experience that I had last month well then I say good riddance. I know I don’t have all the backstories but from what I experienced at San Diego compared to a couple years ago the park was in a much better state even with the mass exodus in upper leadership we’ve seen the last year or so.

Holy crap. 5 months on the job, same complaint as the last one that the board of directors wouldn't let him do his job:

They really should have just given John Reilly the CEO position. He did a great job in the time he was the interim CEO.
That thing is going to lurch like a rudderless ship until it goes under. Too bad, it is an enjoyable park.

Calling it now.

SeaWorld Entertainment & Parks files Chapter 11. Everything goes to auction.

Herschend or Cedar Fair ends up with the 2 Busch parks and their accompanying water parks.

Universal buys SeaWorld Orlando/Discovery Cove/Aquatica. After extensive retheming, rebuilding, and upgrading the park is rebranded with a new name and reopened. Same with Aquatica. Universal's Discovery Cove is kept mostly unchanged with a minor upgrade.

SeaWorld San Diego closes. Becomes condos.

All marine mammals (except Discovery Cove's dolphins) go to SeaWorld San Antonio which becomes a non-profit rescue/research facility. All other animals are dispersed to zoos and aquariums around the world.

Calling it now.

Herschend or Cedar Fair ends up with the 2 Busch parks and their accompanying water parks.

Universal buys SeaWorld Orlando/Discovery Cove/Aquatica. After extensive retheming, rebuilding, and upgrading the park is rebranded with a new name and reopened. Same with Aquatica. Universal's Discovery Cove is kept mostly unchanged with a minor upgrade.

All marine mammals (except Discovery Cove's Dolphins) go to SeaWorld San Antonio which becomes a non-profit rescue research facility. All other animals are dispersed to zoos and aquariums around the world.
I'm ok with Busch being owned by Cedar Fair....But I would rather Herschend

I know Epic hasn't opened yet, but can you imagine what Universal could do with the Sea World plot?!

Calling it now.

All marine mammals (except Discovery Cove's dolphins) go to SeaWorld San Antonio which becomes a non-profit rescue/research facility. All other animals are dispersed to zoos and aquariums around the world.

Going..to add my two cents. I do agree that SeaWorld goes to Chapter 11..however...to just share my two cents on one aspect.

I see Universal not only going for SeaWorld Orlando/DC/Aquatica Orlando..but also getting the Sesame Street theme park rights, having complete ownership of it for the parks entirely. And thus..allowing Universal Creative to use Sesame Street as a headlining brand of their parks, whether in attractions or characters.

Going..to add my two cents. I do agree that SeaWorld goes to Chapter 11..however...to just share my two cents on one aspect.

I see Universal not only going for SeaWorld Orlando/DC/Aquatica Orlando..but also getting the Sesame Street theme park rights, having complete ownership of it for the parks entirely. And thus..allowing Universal Creative to use Sesame Street as a headlining brand of their parks, whether in attractions or characters.
Since Universal is already partnered with Sesame Street in Singapore, this would seem the logical outcome.

Timing....If Sea World goes under, it will be difficult for anyone, short of Comcast, who still has considerable cash flow, to purchase the parks. CF, Six Flags will be on the verge of bankruptcy themselves. Herschend probably won't be on solid enough ground to make a buy either. I don't envision a scenario where banks lend them any money for purchases. They'll need emergency loans just to continue their own operations. Disney would probably have no interest, plus they're already borrowing to get them through this. ....Sea World's best bet, in this financial climate, may be to declare bankruptcy/reorganization, wait until they can almost fully open, then hope for the situation to improve. In other words, buy time.

Last edited:
Calling it now.

With you on the rest, but I don't think Universal or anyone else has interest in the main SWO park, other than to strip mine it for Sesame Street IP and possibly the coasters. It's a 1-day park stuck between two soon-to-be 3-to-4-day parks, when the average stay in town is 5 nights. Universal doesn't need a fourth park, and nobody else can hope to take away day visits from the two big boys with just SWO. Yeah, you could make it a steel park, but that's going to be a sizeable investment on top of the park itself. Throw in the bad rep for the orca shows, even the brand itself is of dubious value.

I do think Discovery Cove and maybe even Aquatica survive owned by someone, perhaps a traditional amusement park company but maybe even the Busch family.

With you on the rest, but I don't think Universal or anyone else has interest in the main SWO park, other than to strip mine it for Sesame Street IP and possibly the coasters. It's a 1-day park stuck between two soon-to-be 3-to-4-day parks, when the average stay in town is 5 nights. Universal doesn't need a fourth park, and nobody else can hope to take away day visits from the two big boys with just SWO. Yeah, you could make it a steel park, but that's going to be a sizeable investment on top of the park itself. Throw in the bad rep for the orca shows, even the brand itself is of dubious value.

I do think Discovery Cove and maybe even Aquatica survive owned by someone, perhaps a traditional amusement park company but maybe even the Busch family.
That would be so cool for the Busch family to pick the whole chain back up in a fire sale. They ran the parks sooooo well, before In Bev & then Blackstone. BGW used to be my favorite theme park.

Only reason the new CEO left is the same as like the last 2, the majority shareholder and chairman of the board will not let them do anything they want to do with the company, they always get micro-managed.

Only reason the new CEO left is the same as like the last 2, the majority shareholder and chairman of the board will not let them do anything they want to do with the company, they always get micro-managed.

Exactly.

I think it's more likely SW tries to sell of pieces rather than be liquidated completely. We shall see. The amusement industry is better with a healthy and independent SW & BG than without.

That would be so cool for the Busch family to pick the whole chain back up in a fire sale. They ran the parks sooooo well, before In Bev & then Blackstone. BGW used to be my favorite theme park.

I remember one member of the family--August maybe?--really enjoyed the animals, was genuinely interested and involved with the TMs. DC could give him that connection to animals in a highly profitable venue that has to be a lot easier to run than a full park. Aquatica just because it's very well-liked by locals, particularly with kids.

The parks were never profitable while Anheuser-Busch owned them. They were bank rolled by their brewing empire. But they were very pleasant and enjoyable parks at that time.