Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

SeaWorld obviously isn't in the best of shape but it's not that bad. I go quite frequently and it's never completely dead or anything. In fact quite a few times I've had to park all the way at the back of the parking lot.

@Andy I remember you warning against that SeaWorld Rescue ride SWO was going to get. If the new SWSD ride is any clue as to what it was going to be, I'm glad it wasn't built.

Although Mako is a good step in the right direction, it isn't enough. SeaWorld needs to focus on bringing one of a kind roller coasters to the park and fast. I'm talking three major coasters in the next 5-7 years. Orlando needs a true launch coaster that accelerates to more than 60mph, and SWP&E should of stuck to the original plan of designing/building a b&m giga instead of setting for a 200ft hyper coaster that can be found at most regional parks. Be a destination coaster/wildlife park by combining the best elements of BGT and CP.

I think the Orlando family market is largely saturated in its current state. They'll never be able to compete with their competition when their budget is 15-20 mil and Uni & Disney's is 150-200 mil per attraction. But if you think adding more of the same things that can be found at your regional Six Flags or Cedar Fair park is a good idea, well...that's solely your opinion.

SeaWorld needs a differential that not only competes with their big budget neighbors but also is enough to draw folks away from parks like Kings Island/Dominion and Six Flags. Nobody is going to waste a vacation day on duplications of rides that are sitting back at home, 45 mins down the road.

The focus should be on more rides like Manta, Falcons Fury, and Cobras Curse. They're either one-of-a-kind technological marvels or hybrid rides with queue enhancements and in-park integrations. They need to stop producing rides like Mako, Cheetah Hunt, Antarctica, and VR enhancements that are just piled on and are of no value added once their respective honeymoon periods have elapsed. Focus on a unique set of experiences that'll draw people in. But what do I know? :cheers:

Erm, Mako recieved the highest satisfaction ratings out of any ride launched in the company's history. It was a great investment and would have shown a notable increase in attendance if South American visitation hadn't largely collapsed.

I think the Orlando family market is largely saturated in its current state. They'll never be able to compete with their competition when their budget is 15-20 mil and Uni & Disney's is 150-200 mil per attraction. But if you think adding more of the same things that can be found at your regional Six Flags or Cedar Fair park is a good idea, well...that's solely your opinion.

SeaWorld needs a differential that not only competes with their big budget neighbors but also is enough to draw folks away from parks like Kings Island/Dominion and Six Flags. Nobody is going to waste a vacation day on duplications of rides that are sitting back at home, 45 mins down the road.

The focus should be on more rides like Manta, Falcons Fury, and Cobras Curse. They're either one-of-a-kind technological marvels or hybrid rides with queue enhancements and in-park integrations. They need to stop producing rides like Mako, Cheetah Hunt, Antarctica, and VR enhancements that are just piled on and are of no value added once their respective honeymoon periods have elapsed. Focus on a unique set of experiences that'll draw people in. But what do I know? :cheers:
I'd say Manta is the perfect example of what a Sea World ride should be...Animal interactions blended seamlessly with a unique coaster that blends beautifully with its surroundings..

I don't blame them for trying to do what Universal and Disney do, but they need to understand they have the animals..That's their thing, a high class zoo...That's not a bad thing

I think after Blackfish they are almost scared to embrace that again

I'd say Manta is the perfect example of what a Sea World ride should be...Animal interactions blended seamlessly with a unique coaster that blends beautifully with its surroundings..

I don't blame them for trying to do what Universal and Disney do, but they need to understand they have the animals..That's their thing, a high class zoo...That's not a bad thing

I think after Blackfish they are almost scared to embrace that again
I wonder what the budget of Manta was, because whatever that number is should be what they invest in most new attractions. It simply works. That ride is the only one at SeaWorld that even comes close to a top attractions in Orlando list.

Personally I prefer Mako a billion times more than Manta! But I do get what you're saying about the integration.

The fact that it sits tucked away in the back of the park on an uninspired retention pond is one of its biggest flaws. Pair that with its generic layout and lackluster theme and you have yourselves a very meh feeling ride. From a raw, roller coaster comparative it ranks very well against similar rides, but that isn't the key point. Even Sheikra, back in 2005, felt like a way bigger deal than Mako, so it's clear to me they're missing the mark.

The fact that it sits tucked away in the back of the park on an uninspired retention pond is one of its biggest flaws. Pair that with its generic layout and lackluster theme and you have yourselves a very meh feeling ride. From a raw, roller coaster comparative it ranks very well against similar rides, but that isn't the key point. Even Sheikra, back in 2005, felt like a way bigger deal than Mako, so it's clear to me they're missing the mark.

...All of which seems worlds apart from train after train of people laughing and clapping as they pull back into the station

I'm really not sure how else you could theme a Hyper coaster. I mean...it's really tall so enclosing it to immerse it with the surroundings is really not do-able without spending 100+ mil. I suppose they could have built some tunnels among the low points, but generally those make things look even worse (think Six Flags). They also usually have an out-and-back layout and generally are placed along the edge of the property at many parks so it's following the usual trend and has been placed in an area nothing else would have worked anyway. I happen to like the layout. It offers the best airtime of the hypers I've ridden.

I understand why you don't think this attraction belongs in this park. However it is unique to the area/state. I would say they could have upped the theming a bit more in the queue and had some tanks with sharks in them at least. I'm very excited still to have it here since I live close enough for a day trip. Next closest is Goliath @ SFOG...which happens to be my least fav of the hypers and it's about 5 hours away.

Mako fits in with the skyline of SWO.

I do believe they need a Launch coaster, but a part of me wonders if they may just go on the cheaper end and go with something similar already being put in place with Electric Eel for San Diego.

Mako fits in with the skyline of SWO.

I do believe they need a Launch coaster, but a part of me wonders if they may just go on the cheaper end and go with something similar already being put in place with Electric Eel for San Diego.
I feel like they'd never put a Tempesto clone at SWO. It gets the most money for all its additions by far. Electric Eel works at SWSD because it has very few thrill rides. SWO has enough (and enough good competition) that a clone would do next to nothing to effect attendance.

I feel like they'd never put a Tempesto clone at SWO. It gets the most money for all its additions by far. Electric Eel works at SWSD because it has very few thrill rides. SWO has enough (and enough good competition) that a clone would do next to nothing to effect attendance.

Maybe, but I am just wondering if they may be strickened by budget for something like a launched coaster.

Maybe they can do a Mack, similar to Manta from SWSD, but I don't remember the exact cost of that particular project.

Maybe, but I am just wondering if they may be strickened by budget for something like a launched coaster.

Maybe they can do a Mack, similar to Manta from SWSD, but I don't remember the exact cost of that particular project.
If anything happens it won't be till 2020 at the earliest. 2018 is already Infinity Falls, and 2019 is a minor addition. I think they can afford a launch coaster if they use their current infrastructure in a smart way. Maybe utilize the Wild Arctic building as the queue and station.

Manta at SWSD is actually relatively cheap at $10 million, so it could work out.

Dolphin Nursery construction update. First photo is from the sky tower. THey also have the sign up as well. Opening next week. Cant wait to see it open

Attachments

• Dolphin1.jpg
    Dolphin1.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Dolphin2.png
    Dolphin2.png
    541.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Dolphin3.png
    Dolphin3.png
    596.2 KB · Views: 19